What Engine Is This And Whats Up?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

pjhaddock

OK, I dont know much of anything about Honda's. I have a 1998 Mustang Cobra, and can work on that with my eyes closed almost. My younger sister had an 89 Civic Hatchback DX. Well her engine blew and she got an engine from Japan, I "think" out of a 91 CRX SI, but I have no idea what it is, top just says 16 Valve, which means to me DOHC. She says they told her that it is a SOHC ZC engine, she got it from NipponMotors???? She had some "friends" swap out the engine, and the ECU. They had the car for about 6 months before she gave up and bought a new car. Well now her old car is sitting in my yard, I would like to get it running to save miles on my Cobra and have some fun with it. It will start and you can drive it, and has nice power. But it lurches and surges, and whistles at the intake, does not really want to idle... The only way it will not surge, is if you are full throttle, its smooth then, sounds supercharged cause of the whistle though, but aggrivating. When driving, the engine is either on the throttle or off the throttle, you cant hold a constant speed like cruizing, jerks on and off the throttle if you try to do that. If I turn on the key and count the light in the passenger floorboard, it repeats these numbers, 3,5,14,16,20. THere are hoses coming off the Intake with bolts in them, where do these go? or do they matter?? I cant find a diagram or anything of them.... Any ideas where to start here???? THanks a bunch!

get the engine code of the front of the block and then we can help....plus the code of the ecu it should be behind the glovebox.

Thanks for the info guys. Where on the block do I look for that engine code? I have a digicam, can get some pics as soon as I have a night off of work. I work 16 hours a day almost every day right now. :blink: I have taken a bunch of engine bay pics that I have found on the net and have figured out where MOST Of the hoses go I believe. I cant find a vacuum diagram of this engine though to make it simple. But it looks identical to the one at the beginning of the Haynes Manual for the 81-94 or wahtever years it is, and it says that motor is a 90 CRX. I did some testing on the IAC a few weeks back, and per the manual, when running it should have +12V, I am getting 0 when running unless I am doing something wrong. Which leads me to believe that they butchered the wiring harness and messed it all up maybe??? Says something about if no voltage is detected, to trace the wire back to the #4 fuse or something like that if I remember right. How the heck can you do that when the engine is in and the wires are all wrapped up?????? lol Some of the error codes I am getting refer to the MAP sensor, well the hoses on it are not hooked up right AT ALL from the pics that I can find. Gonna start there try to get rid of those codes and see what I am left with. Any suggestions??

On the engine block, to the left of the manifold, there is a flat square about 1" x 1.5" that has a large letter/number combination on the top, then a smaller serial number on the bottom.

That's the engine code.

It's right next to where the transmission meets up with the engine.

Also, DAMN, that thing's throwing all kinds of codes.

Let us know what adjusting the TPS does, also, you will want to reset the ecu by removing the positive battery cable for 5-10 minutes to let it drai the system, thrn put it back on, start the car without touching the gas pedal at all, if you can and let the car idle. DO NOT touch the gas for 2-3 minutes, then take it for a NORMAL drive. This will usually fix alot of drivability issues, because Honda engines can learn airflow patterns from the sensors on the engine, and help itself run better.

Hope this helps some.

OH yeah, check the codes again after taking the car for that drive. You should lose 2-3 codes.

OK, I will look for the engine code today when I go home for lunch and post that back if its there. Thanks for all the help so far!! I will fix the hoses to the MAP sensor, and check the TPS and then let you know what I got left on the codes and driveability. Thanks again!

Where are you form I can take a look at ti if youare close, my friend Barry knows all about Civics and where everything goes.. let me knw man I'd be glad to help...

I am in Jacksonville, Florida, close? I looked at the plaque on the motor. All it says is this, on top it says ZC, then under that it says 5903007. So what does that mean for my situation? Thanks!

Holy crap..... i was in the same boat when i baught my swapped car... check EVERYTHING! :blink: i understand how frustrating these things can be..... after all im used to old pushrod v8's.... do lots of research on the net, and keep asking questions.... you can NEVER ask to many questions....

as for the Map, not sure how much different it is between your motor and mine..... but there should be a vac line from the TB to a t-fitting at the map (on firewall) then another hose should run to another sensor? right next to it..... make sure all the plugs to the ECU are connected.... my car had much the same problems and i found out that the middle plug wasnt even connected (or wasnt touching much)

Chris

Cool. ZC's are devinitely a Japanese only engine.

Does it look like the first or the second pic here?

SOHC

0207it_ppcivic02.jpg

DOHC

under_hood_closeup.jpg

Looks like the first pic. I THINK I have all the vacuum hoses off the TB hooked up now except for one. There are two larger hoses right next to each other on the rear of the TB, its the larger one that is kind of on top and to the left of the other.. Where does this thing go? Cannot find a pic to show and cannot find any "extra" places left to plug it in. THanks!!

OK, I have worked all except for that one house out. Got rid of most of the error codes I was getting. Now I am getting 14 and 20. Can someone help me with what to do now? According to this site, code 14 is a problem with the IAC Valve. I have one of them on the cobra and it messes up on the cobra now and then. Does not want to start sometimes, tap on it and its OK. I cannot find anything in the book about an IAC Valve on these cars. According to the book error 14 is for the EAC Valve. Code 20 does not sound good at all, electrical load. The only suggestion is Have it looked at at a dealership!! :unsure:

if you take it to a Honda dealership, more than likely they will look like this after glancing at the engine----> :blink: and then give you this look :unsure: because they wouldnt know what to do...LOL

TROO!!! lol :lol: Well I found the problem!!! The EACV or IACV (whichever it is) does not have 12V when running or the key is on which according to the book it is supposed to have. SOOOOOO, I jumped a wire from the battery to the black/yellow wire running to it. Started it up and WHOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO, no more check engine light and the car runs perfect!!! Now, it says to repair the circuit between the #14 fuse and the plug. how the heck do I do that with it all wrapped up and the engine in the car?? Suggestions on what to do????? thanks for all the help!!

OK, last update for tonight. :sleep: I was able to track the wire to a plug that is on the right side of the engine compartment right before the bulk goes through the firewall. Used the voltmeter to find it to that point. I cannot find it on the other side of the firewall though, its green and black with an orange/red stripe. There are 2 of them on the inside of the firewall, neither of them seem to test to be the right one with the voltmeter. Gonna try again this weekend to see what to do from here. I "could" just hop off a wire that has voltage when the key is on and none when the key is off and splice into it, but this makes me nervous. Fry something!!?? Will contemplate on it some and see what you guys have to say. Till then, gonna just drive the 350 hp 98 Cobra around. What a shame!! lol :rolleyes:

just a little advice

i know the subject is already done

u can usually tell if its a soch by they either put the plugs at the top or bottom of the valve cover. usually on dohc engines, the plugs go in the middle and are surrounded by 2 banks. (meaning cam on each side) its probably stated earlier but im too lazy to read after a few posts.

Back