what engine is this?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civic94dx

hi all, i have been offered a b16a engine to put in my 94 civic dx hatch. the engine was put in another civic as a conversion but the civic got wrote off, and the guy at the breakers yard only knows details of the year of the car and not the engine, hes says it is a b16a, which i dont want in my car as it'l be an obd1, but after looking through a topic on here about the size of 'dohc' and 'vtec' sizes on engine cover, im pretty sure it is an SiR II, or an obd1 engine. so heres a picture if anyone can tell me diffrent.thanks
civicengcon.jpg

looks to be around a 93 engine, which would make it obd1, the engine has its own little vin number, it should be right on the block top left maybe if i remember correctly, all motors come with them

it looks like a b series if its 1.6 or 1.8 i cant tell but i dont know and usually obd1 reads everything better than obd0 unless your obd2

Last edited:
wrong. h22 is dohc. the number on the head on the left side will tell you. if it says 91 its a 92 92 its a 93 and so forth

That motor is an OBD1 B16. And yes the D and the F series both have an available DOHC setup. They are rare but they are out there.

D in DOHC? and F in dohc? not to sure about that but if you say so :eek:
F20B is a DOHC Vtec engine out of the Euro Accord
f20blongblock.jpg

F20c out of the S2000 is also another one

s2kchngover.jpg

The DOHC ZC is pretty much D Series

zclngblk.jpg

and also the D16A1 out of the 86-89 Integras

engine.jpg

Last edited:
D in DOHC? and F in dohc? not to sure about that but if you say so :eek:

yup the F22 in S2k's are DOHC, but you cant tell unless you remove the valve cover. but trust me it has two cams. as for the D series. there is the ZC motor. which is a non vtec DOHC D series.

yup the F22 in S2k's are DOHC, but you cant tell unless you remove the valve cover.
Refer to my picture above... If the 'DOHC' on the valve cover of the f20 doesn't let you know at first, then I don't know what else will lol...

I was more talking about the F22B DOHC. I think it was in the Prelude. You can't really put an F20C or F22C from an S2000 into a Civic. Not easily anyway.

That was the point I was making, even though very rare, the D and F series still had DOHC versions.

Back