what engine would be good in my 96 ek hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i would like to know what you guys think would be a good motor to swap into my ek.
my budget would be around 2500 for the entire swap. i know i don't want a k series motor cuz too much $$$
i was thinking along the lines of a b series motor. what do you think?
also go easy on me i'm a noob. thanks
Roberto :)

LS/VTEC B18B1 block with a GSR head bump the compression and you are rockin. You can find a LS for like $700, oh and get the GSR tranny too. Just my .02

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
LS/VTEC B18B1 block with a GSR head bump the compression and you are rockin. You can find a LS for like $700, oh and get the GSR tranny too. Just my .02
Easier said than done.
What kind of experiece (does the poster) have?

yes i'm a noob to hondas but not to working on cars. i'd rather have a ready to run motor. that b18c sounds good. i'd be open to an ls turbo also. i'm a welder by trade and a mechanic by choice. :p

on the ls/vtec there is some machining to be done right? would a b20 vtec be as good? or a b20 turbo?

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Easier said than done.
What kind of experiece (does the poster) have?

yes i'm a noob to hondas but not to working on cars. i'd rather have a ready to run motor. that b18c sounds good. i'd be open to an ls turbo also. i'm a welder by trade and a mechanic by choice. :p

on the ls/vtec there is some machining to be done right? would a b20 vtec be as good? or a b20 turbo?

Sure a B20 VTEC aka CRV/VTEC would be better you would have more displacement 2.0liter as opposed to a 1.8liter. The only thing you have to do is tap the block for oil and run the VTEC wires to the ECU. I am not good at mechanics so I had someone do it for me but I hear it is pretty easy.

no that is not ALL you have to do. You would need a water pump, timing belt, oil pump, head gasket, lsvtec conversion lines, etc. For your knowledge of hondas I would go with the gsr swap (b18c). Which would be the engine, axles, transmission, shift linkage, ecu and other small incindentals.

Quoted post[/post]]
no that is not ALL you have to do. You would need a water pump, timing belt, oil pump, head gasket, lsvtec conversion lines, etc. For your knowledge of hondas I would go with the gsr swap (b18c). Which would be the engine, axles, transmission, shift linkage, ecu and other small incindentals.
i would have to swap shift linkage also?i've heard that unless its an h22 or a k series that i didn't have to swap the linkage. thanks for the input. keep it coming. :worthy:

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
i would have to swap shift linkage also?i've heard that unless its an h22 or a k series that i didn't have to swap the linkage. thanks for the input. keep it coming. :worthy:
No, you will need the linkage that is coming with the engine.
b18C is a fine choice.
b16 is fun but over rated.
LS+T can't go wrong.
Personally if i had $2500 i would do LST.
I only had $1100 so i did b16 and i'm happy.
:)

:concur:

get a B18B1
turbo it

I'd like to come back in here, i have seen 2 lsTs (one is vtec) running 12-14psi on every day stock internal cars.
One was using chipped ecu and one was using V-AFC.
7-9 is SAFE 11-14 is fine if you know what you're doing for fuel.
300Whp is alot and the "best" way to get to that number is LST LSVT or h22T.
If you've got money to play with i say do the LST,
you can buy it and build it for the price of or less than a GSR swap or LSV.

spend 500 on a bs(hf mani, t25, 450cc injectors, 1gen bov, chiped ecu and tuning prog of your choice) turbo kit for that d you got so you can learn on something and then with the 2000 get an ls and then you could change mani and a few other small things and use the old turbo set up on the ls and it would work better seeing as it would be you second set up. or just go straight for the lst. but you can get around 200whp out of a d series if you do it right.
homemadeturbo.com is good foya

Quoted post[/post]]
spend 500 on a bs(hf mani, t25, 450cc injectors, 1gen bov, chiped ecu and tuning prog of your choice) turbo kit for that d you got so you can learn on something and then with the 2000 get an ls and then you could change mani and a few other small things and use the old turbo set up on the ls and it would work better seeing as it would be you second set up. or just go straight for the lst. but you can get around 200whp out of a d series if you do it right.
homemadeturbo.com is good foya

thanks i'll check that out. :laugh:

i'm already looking for a turbo kit for my d series motor. i found a turbo manifold kit for it now just to piece it together. i'm going to weld up the manifold myself. what turbo should i use? t-25, t-28? thanks
Roberto

Back