What engine?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Uk Civic

I have decided to swap my 1.5 engine in my 92 civic for a better one, but should i just go for the b16a or is there a different one that will drop in fairly easily, and be better in the long run? Thanks for the help guys, your being more helpful than the people from the uk!

The B18c1 and B18c5 are the only other engines that drop into that car with little or no modification. Both are more powerfull, (B18c1 = 170 B18c5 = 195) but also MUCH more expensive. I'd go with the B16 for money's sake. (B16a = 160) That 10 horsepower is hardly worth the $1000 for the C1. And the C5 is ridiculous. You can always add pistons or cams or even a turbo to that B16. Good luck man!

the increase in cash for that swap is that your getting an better tranny with lsd, cams that will allow you ro rev higher, .2 more displacement.

Start off with a 1.8vtec motor, I say if your going motor then drop the R motor in there, if you search enough you can find a great deal..the b16 simply lacks TQ which you really need from a 4 cylinder.

Milan

after seeing what bill accomplished with a B18B in a hatch (and hes not even near the full potential of his setup) i strongly suggest looking at the B18B

its inexpensive and with minor work throws a LOT of power (he is putting 165hp to the wheels and he cant rev anywhere near where the cams he has make real power, he is running the shitty LS intake and exhaust manifolds and a semi hacked together exhaust) 185+ to the wheels is completly possible if he gets the shit he needs done

Thanks for the help so far but i have a few more questions! :lol: I am getting more tempted by a b18 engine but whats the difference between the b18b that E_SolSi suggested and the b18c1 that was mentioned by sohcslammer? I havent checked prices yet but they will be different here in the uk anyway. I would really like to go further with whichever engine i choose other than just the swap, so i am guessing the 1.8 would be best. Also what would be every thing i would need to do the swap totally? i dont want to get stuck in and find i am missing stuff!

thanks alot guys, i owe ya!

Originally posted by Uk Civic@Aug 28 2003, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the help so far but i have a few more questions! :lol: I am getting more tempted by a b18 engine but whats the difference between the b18b that E_SolSi suggested and the b18c1 that was mentioned by sohcslammer? I havent checked prices yet but they will be different here in the uk anyway. I would really like to go further with whichever engine i choose other than just the swap, so i am guessing the 1.8 would be best. Also what would be every thing i would need to do the swap totally? i dont want to get stuck in and find i am missing stuff!

thanks alot guys, i owe ya!

The B18B and B18C1 are very similar but the C1 has VTEC where the B18b does not. E_sol is correct in that the B18b can be a very potent motor. The B18b is most likely about the same price as a B16a. The B16 has more hp and the B18b has more torque. Do you want a high reving race motor or a torquey daily driver?

I dont know which one to go for now! I definately want VTEC, so my options are the B16a or the B18c1. I am sort of thinking about going for the b16 again cause as you said sohcslammer, for the sake of 10bhp i could save a bit of cash and, it would probably be easier to get hold of. Whats the 1.6 like to drive? is it really that bad on torque?

It's not bad. The B18c is definetly more powerfull, but either is a great starting platform. And for the price of a B18c you can have that B16 putting out more power. Go with the B16 and get an intake and a good 4-1 header and some exhaust and you'll be rockin'. :thumbsup:

Cool. Cheers mate! you have really helped me make up my mind! Now Lets say i get a b16a, what will i need to get it into my car with minimum fuss? Can I just leave everything else that the car came with and just change the engine, or do i need to swap stuff like gearbox and because mine is a british spec will the wiring connect up right?

Every car is different but on that car I'm pretty sure you will need -
Engine
Transmission
Axles
ECU
Wiring Harness
Distributor? (not sure on this)

Make sure you get the B16 tranny because a LS/B18b tranny will have longer gearing and you will fall out of VTEC when you shift. If possible look for a tranny with a limited slip. It should only be @ $300 more and well worth it.

tip for swap

you have a 92 -95 civic so the best b16a to get is the one made for the 92-95 civics do not go out like i did and buy the b16a that goes into a 88-91 civic/crx and think that it would be just as easy to put and besides the one for the 88-91 is cheaper that is what i did and it is a lot more complecated then everyone thinks it is so when you order one make sure you get one for a 92-95 civic the b16a2

by the way do you have a place where you are going to get the motor

Originally posted by civic15.8@Aug 28 2003, 10:00 PM
b18b's (with out tranny) from nippon-motors.com run about 750.

Well, since that is for the ENGINE only, to me that says you still are spending another 12-1700 piecing together what you could get in one shot. Wow what a deal. Damn even their GSR is $3300 for JUST the engine, tranny, and ECU, hello shiftlinkage, axles, mounts.

UKcivic, look around your area (if you are actually in the UK) for a salvagable civic VTi 1.8, it has a B18C4 which produces the same Hp as the GSR in the states, but a hair more torque, buddy of mine pulled his out of an Aerodeck Accord wagon. Don't bother shipping a motor from a stateside dealer, the shipping will kill you.

So what your saying 92b16vx is that is seems a much better idea to go for the b18c4 engine? am i right in thinking that its out of the newer shape civic to mine? If so will it fit on the same mounts and wire up as easy as the b16? I do live in the uk, but i havent really looked for a place to get the engine yet i just wanted to get clued up on what is possible first. The b16a2 engine is still a possibility depending on price.

I am alos in the same dillemma as UK is. I have a 96 HX 2 Door. And I have heard alot of things of what to do . Should I do a B16 B18 or possibly should I make a Frankenstein of sorts. Putting parts from all different motors into 1. I have heard many options so please help. I would really like to find out horse to dollar ratio if at all possible. Thanks :worthy:

Originally posted by Uk Civic@Aug 29 2003, 06:36 PM
So what your saying 92b16vx is that is seems a much better idea to go for the b18c4 engine? am i right in thinking that its out of the newer shape civic to mine? If so will it fit on the same mounts and wire up as easy as the b16? I do live in the uk, but i havent really looked for a place to get the engine yet i just wanted to get clued up on what is possible first. The b16a2 engine is still a possibility depending on price.

Yes, for you and me here in Europe, using a B18C4 is like the states using a B18C1, same hp, but better torque, if you can't find one (they can be hard to find) the B16A2 is still not a bitch, no matter what anyone says.

Back