what engines will work.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Eladiodz

I have been trying to find out what engines will drop into my 88 prelude without very little mods to the car? B20

Last edited:
b16a with the mount kit, f22 w/o any real mods.

i wanna know where you get a mount kit for a B16A. please tell me cause i have never seen one B4. there are custom one-offs out there but no kits.

f22 w/o any real mods? please explain yourself again. you need custom mounts for this also. no matter which F22.

as for Eladiodz's question. it depends on which lude you have.

if you have S model- then you have the B20A3 carb motor. you can convert to FI with a B20A, B20A5, or B21A1. not sure about all the details but Squishypanda at www.preludepower.com can tell you cause he's done it.

if you have Si or Si 4WS model- then you have the B20A5 FI motor. a JDM B20A will dropp right in. but you must use your old intake mani, exhaust mani, and thermostat housing.
the bigger B21A1 will also drop right in. again you will have to change over mani's unless you will be converting to OBD1. if you decide on this motor you must use your old tranny as well. cause your axles won't fit the B21A1's tranny. i think that your axles have two less splines. also the B21A1's ECU is different. for one because it is OBD1, and two because the B21A1 intake mani doesn't have secondaries like the B20A5. so the ecu doesn't look for them.

The only workable engine worth doing.

Let me enlighten you a little on your 3rd Gen Lude.

The only engine worth swapping into your Lude is the H22. All other B series motors are much harder to make work into the low profile chassis of our 3rd gens.

For more power you will either want to Turbo Charge it, or swap the H22 into your car.

Let me help you with some info that I put together:

This is what I was able to have produced for our cars. The H22 Billet Mount kit

Produced by www.azracemachine.com

Please note this is the project car, and is still under construction, we took care of the clearance issues, but you will need to be considerate of how low you will drop your car. We are still working on the Powersteering, and A/C brackets.

Related links:
**Long H22 Swap Write-up**

**H22 Write up**

**Another H22 write up**

DSCN0587.jpg

Rear Mount
AZH22Rear01.jpg

Tranny mount 1
AZH22Trans1.jpg

Tranny mount 2
AZH22Trans2.jpg

Tranny mount 3
AZH22Trans3.jpg

Tranny mount 4
AZH22Trans4.jpg

Driverside 1
AZH22Driver01.jpg

Driverside 2
AZH22Driver02.jpg

EngineBay.jpg

EngineBay2.jpg

GroundClearance5.jpg

GroundClearance3.jpg

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

Sean

Last edited:
Back