What Exactly Is Required For 99gsr Into 00civic Ex

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mwolf83

HI i was just wondering what exactly is required with the wiring to swap a 99gsr b18c1 into a 00 civic ex. I've heard the a knock sensor is need and a iab is required then again i've heard only the iab. So i know this is one of the most commonly done swaps out there, but i wanna know once and for all. And i was also wondering if anybody know anything about if i would need to have the GSR computer flashed to have it reset before it will work agian i've heard it was some sort of anti theft device on the 99's. And would it be easier to just use my ex wiring harness instead of the gsr's and just add a wire. Thanks for all your help.

also what i had heard about adding those extra wires were for swapping a 99 gsr into a 98 civic ex with the 98 wiring harness, so i was also curious to whether or not there is a difference in the 98 and 00 harness.

There are a few things.

1- You will need to add IAB, and Knock sensor wires. You will also need to extend some wires (VTEC solenoid, pressure switch) and relocate your primary O2 sensor.

2- You will need to use a 00-01 GSR ecu and have the immobilizer removed. OR you can convert to OBD1 by way of a OBD2-1 adapter and a 94-95 GSR ecu.

Yes, there are differences between the 96-98 civic and 99-00 Civic. 96-98 is OBD2 and 99-00 is OBD2b. The integra is similar also. A 96-99 Integra is OBD2 like the 96-98 Civic, and the 00-01 Integra is OBD2b like the 99-00 Civic. The 2 different styles of OBD2 cannot be crossed over without MAJOR wiring modifications.

As for the ECU being flashed, all you need to do is leave it unplugged for about 10 mins. This will clear all codes.

And your question about the 99-00 EX harness VS. the GSR. You cannot use a GSR harness in your civic. Since the 96 Civic, the engine harness plugs directly into the ECU, whereas the GSR engine harness plugs in to the vehicle wiring harness at the shock towers, then the wiring is routed to the ECU. Unless you are willing to rewire your entire dash, and engine bay, I don't recommend this.

HTH
-AMM

thanks for the advise AllMotor it will be much appreciated, keep up the good work.

Back