1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what first?

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by 90 accord, Nov 19, 2003.

what should i buy first?

1. skunk 2 cams, stage 2 w/ portflow springs and retainers

100.0%
  2. 55-75 shot of nitrous *wet?*

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. intake manifold *thinking skunk

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. 90 accord

90 accord Chicks dig the box Moderator VIP

i want to meet my goal of hitting low 14's or high 13's in my hatch, with a good launch i will run a 15.5 - 15.6.

so far i have an Aem intake, dc 4-1 header*comming this friday* and a 2.25" catback, on my b16a3...

i know nitrous will get me there pretty quickly, but i kinda want to stay away from nitrous, it's a lil intimidating to me <_<

cams and shizz will cost me around a 1000 and won't help me out too much?

intake manifolds are a bitch to install *so i hear* and there are almost no noticible differences without significant modifications to the rest of the engine?

what's your opinion? thoughts?

2. Havok

Havok Senior Member

"Cams and shizz" will cost your around 1k, getting it tuned after that will be far more beneficial. Turbo or N/A all the way. Nitrous is for 70 hp hatches, that really need it, like bills, lol.

IM will only set you back 250-300...buy one off of ebay for 100-150, port n polish it, put it on, then sell your old one on ebay to some idiot and you might break even, some asshat paid 150 for my d series IM that I paid 65 for.

3. 90 accord

i really want to stay away form nitrous.. it's a cheap hp, but it reaks hell on the engine.

i might need to get some kind of piggy back ecu after i get the cams and spirngs and retainers? what do you think?

i think i'm gunna ahve to save up for the cams :)

i have mixed emotions about the IM, mainly cuz i've heard its a real pain in the ass to swap in..

4. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

get the IM first ... them camz gosta breath y0!... id get the IM then get the cams :)

5. MaaseyRacer

MaaseyRacer Senior Member

If you get the intake manifold i got dibs on your old one... :D

6. 92civicb18b1

92civicb18b1 The Trisexual

Stage 2 cams will make a diffence you can feel, IM will give you gains but not noticable unless your using forced induction, Fuck nitrous, IMO pussies use nitrous...are u a pussy?

7. CRX_B16B

CRX_B16B Senior Member

An intake manifold would really do nothing with out cams and shizt cuz no matter how much more air you make available to the motor it wont take it in w/o more lift/duration from the cam. so go with the cam.

8. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

Could always PnP stock IM then cams... or is this not a worthy alternative?

And CRX_b18B nicely put...

9. SolLess16

SolLess16 Senior Member

you can always think about a custom turbo kit , dont know why your not thinking about that but something to think about

10. 90 accord

i really want to stay away from turbo's//super's. i really don't trust teh reliability. tuning, blah, even properly tuned, it will put so much more stress on the engine then should be on it..

11. JDMilan

JDMilan Senior Member

the IM hepls if he has a GSR IM from the get go, I would personally do the head package myself.

12. endlesszeal

endlesszeal Senior Member

I dont think nitrous are for pussies or is cheating.. its just another form of force induction and makes your car fast for cheap.. probably kno that.. but yeah, not everyone has 10923898243 to blow on parts and shit.. besides, its remedy for turbo lag.. anyway, since your not to happy about nitrous, i would say the head too..

13. jamesA

jamesA Well known pissed off telephone guy VIP

You know what I voted for. ;)

14. 92civicb18b1

92civicb18b1 The Trisexual

turbo lag isnt as bad as u think...does ur engine take 4 seconds to rev to 4k in 1st, NO, it take way less than 2 second, then your never gonna drop below 4k if you know how to drive and shift.

You don't need that much money, you need about 1200 for a custom turbo kit.

O i forgot to add, turbos give you power all the time at a certain place in the rpm range, hmmm, does nitrous do that, no you have to go press a fuckin button (i don't know about this for sure), that you can't hold to long or you fuck some shit up. And for a daily driver, you cant use it more than once per week? or something, Now how is that gettin you all around power?

Sure nitrous is somewhat cheaper than turbos, but if you think about it, your refilling your bottle, when do you refill a turbo...yo don't, it's normal maintence to do oil changes. Sorry, but nitrous is for pussies or people who can't save money

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted