What got you interested in...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

khrisb

Just wondering.

Mine was "that" movie. F&F.
Before everyone tells me :newbie: let me explain.
My cousin's b/f had a 93 si hatch back in like 96-97.
He had a fart can, a body kit, and some rims.
That's all. (Or so I thought.)
Now that was long before F&F.
I was like 13 at the time, but I wanted a car JUST like that!
I thought it was the shit. I was 13 too.
When F&F came out, it kinda made me interested in making them faster.
I didn't know you could. I was only a 4 cyl. after all.
I started buying magazines and stuff to try and find out more.
So yeah, in the beginning, I was a ricer. I am ashamed to say it, but I'm better now. Yeah, I might start a thread. Hmm...
Oh yeah. Come to find out, his car had more than that. He was pretty fast for back then. Runnin like high 13's on street tires.
Now he's boosted runnin', I think, low 12's.

But yeah. What got you into Honda "Performance"?
This one should be good.

hmm that 92-95 civic in gran-turismo when you buy all the parts and the racing modification. After i played with that car i always wanted a car like that.

A year before I graduated high school my best buddy at the time used to have a s14 240 and we used to at that time try to work on it. We would enjoy going into empty parking lots when it was raining and just going nuts with sliding, we did the usual mods like ghetto intake set up, yellow brake calipers, a little system set up, tinted windows, you know the shit you thought back then was serious.....but that is really what started it for me and that was back in 1996. Damn I am getting old man.

Milan

when i called up a junkyard looking to replace my blown D motor from my DX they said "why dont you just get a B series" hmm, wtf is that? so i did some research on them, got the motor swapped it in back in 99 then took off from there.

right before I went into the military my little brother started working combine to generate cash for his first car, a 91 CRX SI. I was still a Stang kinda guy and had that "rice burner" mentality. Basic came and went, he got the car, I went to tech school, then england. About the time he started running low 14's I took notice and started reading about imports via mags I bought. Then six months l8tr FnF hit and the whole thing just blew up. A yr and a half after that I came back from england, sold my Jimmy, and bought my Civic SI.

See guys? Isn't this a productive thread? Unlike some of my others...
It's interesting to find this out. Not everyone jumped on the F&F bandwagon.
But for that poor bastard that did...
J/K!
Anybody else?

Grew up in BFE, nuthing to do but get fucked up and race. Out grew "Getting fucked up". Didn't out grow racing.

1st one 76 mustang II 302 4spd, cam, breakerless ignition (could rap 6000 rpm)
This was in 1982. It kicked ass on many 305 camaros and some 350s

#2 280 ZX turbo, Fast once the turbo kicked in, handled like shit.

#3 Alfa Romeo spyder, still have, handles like more shit.

Have owned more cars. These are the only fun ones.

Wife buys van and gives me her honda. I fall in love. Start doing a few mods and find myself sneeking out in the middle of the night to find a challange. Now I am planning a GSR swap for this winter. Not too wild it will still be a daily driver.

Disappointed in F&F. Would have been a good movie if it would have been technically correct and had cars true to the street racing scene. I know if I wanted to go fast I would not go for 300 lb's of body kit and 200lb's of stereo.

I believe in population cake eaters "rice men" out number the enthusiasts who kill the scene, and that is why the movie is based around that. If they were doing tech all motor builds I think people would walk out of the movie, saying it's boring. But I do agree that those fuckers should have did their homework and when the actors were acting they could have atleast made the correct statements.

die F&F

Another thing that pissed me off about that movie was how they would use product names out of context just to get the plug in.

bill was into hondas... i crashed my chevy.... i jumped on the bandwagon. i blame him for it all :p j/k

i spent my senior year of HS in an american school in asia. This was, of course before the GnC mania. People had spoon'ed out Civic hatches and I saw in GT2 and thought those looked super sweet. Now I have a car that looks just that the one I fell in love with back in 99 :D

before I got into Hondas I really wanted a Subaru Impreza though.....they didnt have turbo version in the US, only 2.2 RS so I got a Honda.

I had a 1988 honda crx si. It was a great car until it got wrecked. Have mostly stayed with german cars but we race a Acura on the road courses. Nothing can handle like the honda. I know this site loves drag racing but I can't tell you how awesome these cars go with a great suspension.

For me it was when i got my lowering springs installed. all i wanted was to replace the worn out originals, but once i felt the ride from my eibach sportlines, i knew i had to get some alloy wheels..and thats where it started. then i found out that the crx had all this potential as a tuner car and that did it for me. no turning back! :D oh and the movie F&F really helped get me interested too. until then, i didnt know there was this import subculture out there.

i was originally a ford/chevy guy as some of you may know but NJ's insurance rates raped me in the ass so i got stuck w/ a focus...which got wrecked (note to self: hitting curbs at 55 miles an hour not a good idea) so i knew my insurance was going to be sky high and i was thinking "what kind of car can get me laid?/wat kind of car can i build hte fuck out of?" and it went from there...thats one of the reasons im into this

im sure F&F had some influence when i was more naive about things but now i hate fucking paul walker (motec system exhaust!!! :ghey: ...Vin Diesel is still mildly alrite in my book but just barely

when it comes down to it tho anything can be fast...it just takes time and patience...ppl who say hondas suck for racing or w/e are just ignorant i can take a ford tempo and make it run 10's its just about being real im sure when my rates drop ill go w/ something more sporty or w/e idk but no matter what im gonna keep my civ for as long as i can its a great car and im sure many ppl here just got into the scene just cuz hondas are excellent vehicles i mean i dont know of any other car that handles modification as willingly as honda (compared to like mitsu etc)

I didn't know you could. I was only a 4 cyl. after all.

Actually alot of the old race cars in the 80's were close to 1000 hp four cylinders non-honda's of course but still alot of damn power.

Anyways, I got started in honda performance from an ex of mine. She was all about making it faster way before the F&F wannabe's came to town.

ASiAN People!
My AZN FRIENDS.... bahpohs made me invest more than i should have on a civic.

i could have had a decent prelude by now.
oh well.
CIVICS FOR LIFE

oh and F&F wasnt as little as an influence either...

Wow!
I didn't realize F&F got so many people interested.
And no flaming yet! I'm impressed!
But there are still alot of people who haven't responded, still claiming Honda.
Are they claiming it with NOS tanks in hand? Living life a 1/4 mile at a time?
Hmm...
Let's wait and see.

Oh yeah!
Bump for my cool thread!

well being asian and from the bay area (nor cal) i had older cousins, aunts, and uncles that were midly into the scene. brought me to the car shows, this and that. i knew since middle school id probably join the stereotyped asians around here and drive a honda...
f&f only made me realize how popular the import scenes bout to get....

I learned how to drive in my moms honda and fell in love, now I own that biotch, my dream car, I dont care what any body says about Accords, 4 doors are better than two.

Back