What handheld/PDA should I get

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

chestercheeto48

VIP
I am in the market for a new handheld/PDA for keeping my hectic daily schedule under control. I have heard nice things about the HP line and I had a palm m100 a long time ago, but never used it. I guess my price range in is in the neighborhood of 200.00-300.00 and I would like to have the option to sync it with outlook since that is what I use at the office.

get a symbol handheld scanner with windows embedded. that way you have the functionality of keeping your life in line, and a cool laser!!

these are the ones we have at work.

mc9000-g2.jpg

Um pretty sure that you can't get one of those for 200-300 dollars, but the possibilities are interesting....

Go to the store and see if you like Windows Mobile/CE or Palm OS better, then decide which model you want.

I was about to start this same thread but figured I would just bump this one to the top. Im in the market for a PDA my self. What do most of you guys use? Do you use it at work/home/play ect ect. Im in a similiar price range as chestercheeto.

I've had the iPAQ HP4150 for about 2yrs and I've been pretty happy with it. RAM is a bit on the low side with only 64mb for ROM and saved data, =(. But thats what the 2GB SD card is for! =). The 400mhz processor is good for everything, except heavy emulation, but I got an overclocking utlility, XCPUscalar and its setting pretty happy at 478mhz.

I don't use it as often as I would like, but carrying it plus my cellphone, keys and wallet, its just begging to get lost. Im pretty forgetful, so losing a $400 PDA (what i bought it for a while back) would kill me.

Anyway, I loaded it with TCMP player which supports a shit load more files than WMA9, like DIVX and OGG and shit like that. Then I went and got AIM. Get it from AOL UK, for some weird reason, the US version, you gotta pay. Also, I got pocketNES, GBAadvance and Morphgear for all my gaming emulations and all run really well. Kills battery though. Lastly, I bought a keyboard, but dont use it often at all. Lugging it arund is annoying and typing on a PDA isnt ideal, because the screen is so small.

The only major downside is that it seems to hang often. All it requires is a softreset aka reboot and it works fine. It only happens when i forget to close some programs and overload the puny 64mb and processor.

Anyway, I would highly recommend an HP iPAQ or the Dell Axim. The Dell seems to give more bang for the buck. Maybe a trip to cnet.com and other reviewing sites would also be help.

Ive been looking at getting the Palm z22. It dosnt have integrated wirless or even an expantion slot but for 100bucks its perfect for a address book / day planner. It has a 9 hour battey life with non volitile memory and you can load pictures on it too. It has a full color screen, not as nice as the Tungsten or other high end PDA's but for the cost you really cant beat it. It dosnt have an expantion slot or mp3 capabilitys but it does sync with every thing you want it to. I may be picking on up on thurdsay or friday.

Last edited:
I actually went out and purchased a HP Ipaq and I love it. small enough to fit in my pocket and I can edit/sync all of my school stuff on it.

what model did you end up getting? i highly suggest tcmp player over anything out for pocket pcs. give it a try and you'll see. also if you like gaming, the emulators i mentioned above should fit the bill. last thing is get at least a 1gb card. with mp3s, movies, and what not, it fills up quick and its roughly $20, which is cheap. it used to be like $100.

the palms are excellent too if you dont want all that fancy stuff. but if you're into hacking, free software, etc... windows is always the way to go. :ph34r:

I got the 2245 model and I am really impressed w/ it. I am actually writing this on it. the wireless is actually pretty decent. I have a 1 gig sd & cf card in it as well (left over from old cameras)

I had an older iPaq.. .It was fair... I have a Palm Z22 right now.. .Great and simple. $99.

And I'm waiting for the company to either get me a Q, a Treo 700, or a Blackberry.

How is that z22 treatin you? I realize you get what you pay for at 100 dollars but I just need somthing to keep phone numbers and address's that sorta thing. And somthing to manage my money with. So i figured the z22 would be great. How is the touch screen. Thats the biggest complaint i have read about it.

I have a HP Ipaq. I've used it once, and I think I could sell it to you for stupid cheap, like 200 dollar range. I'm not sure the model but I have the boxes, all the original everything for it. I uploaded stuff on it once, and then forgot to charge it and never used it again.

It has an mp3 player, video player, windows media so you can sync with your computer, blue tooth, wifi, you name it. Only thing it doesn't have is a camera. Cost well over 350 a year or so ago, but I have no use for it.

I love my z22. Great battery life, good basic palm. No Bluetooth, no wireless... But works GREAT for phone numbers, addresses, and stuff..

I mainly use it for note taking. Where I work I am beta testing & doing rollout of new software, so i'm ALWAYS finding new bugs... And in my enviornment, I cant easily get back to my laptop. So instead of having 30 pieces of paper by the end of the day that I then have to type into the PC, I just write them up on the palm, and sync them up.

Touchscreen hasn't given me any problems... I bought the clear hard case with it too.. The case gets scratched really easily, but better the case than the palm.

Back