what happens when you overclock?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

4.2 volts?!?!?!? How was that thing surviving without the fan actually spinning. No suprise it blew like that either.

i thought that was the speed? camera was kinda shaky. i thought it was like 4 GHz. arent those processors like 1-2 GHz normally? thats a pretty massive overclock. it not only blew a hole in the MB but also through the table, lol.

they sounded funny saying "extreme overclocking" too, :laugh:

edit you were right, that is the voltage, the speed is 3.8 GHz. i still dont know how much its overclocked though, but from what ive seen, the AMD Duron processors range from 1-2 GHz.

is 4.2v alot?

Nah.. AMDs run in the 2 Ghz range i think..

Zis is tearibule!

Something to me says it was fake but that is just me..

I have cooked my fair share of computer hardware and nothing has ever blown a hole in something. Cracking for sure but never a hole in the motherboard.. let alone the table

in the videos defence that looked like a piece of cardboard for the table top. lol, it was thin, not like its a hardwood table or anything. and just curious, whats the most youve ever overclocked something. i usually see things like 3.1-3.6 over clock. even if this was a 2 GHz processor in the begining he was running it at 3.8 GHz. "zit is extreme, too extreme" :laugh:

AMD overclocks much better than intel. Best I did on my 2.8Ghz was 2.9 with no additional cooling

They didn't have anything special cooling that thing. So it just seems far fetched to me.
Tomsharware.com had a thing where they over clocked to 4.0ghz and they used liquid nitrogen to cool it

I seriously doubt they overclocked a proc 1 ghz higher cause it looks like the fastest AMD is 2.8
Start getting electron migration way before that

they did have it running 3.8, you can see it on the screen, he was recording it.

Maybe they had it overclocked but it wasn't functional. I have overclocked to far and the comp would just sit there.. stuck with the screen how it was..

I just didn't like how a hole was in the motherboard.

thats pretty interesting!

on another note, ive never overclocked anything. if i feel the need for more processing power i just upgrade, one component at a time, until i get where i want.

ive seen this before at a lot of the overclocking forums and most of them agree its fake.

processors that fail dont blow up like that. some even suggested that guy put a firecrack there and blew it up on purpose i guess.

anyhoo, thats a pretty huge overclock considering he need that much voltage and what he was able to boot into. my stock amd64 takes about 1.35 and my brothers old athlon xp takes about 1.65.

Quoted post[/post]]
ive seen this before at a lot of the overclocking forums and most of them agree its fake.

processors that fail dont blow up like that. some even suggested that guy put a firecrack there and blew it up on purpose i guess.

anyhoo, thats a pretty huge overclock considering he need that much voltage and what he was able to boot into. my stock amd64 takes about 1.35 and my brothers old athlon xp takes about 1.65.

My buddy's blown an old socket 5 clean off a board before. Nothing to that extreme (the board worked afterwards) but it can be done.

I would agree that it is fake though. That processor would nuke itself the instant that heatsink was removed, not to mention the fan wasn't working and why in the world did they put an EPROM on the chipset heatsink?

ya know, i think i will email this to them. i would like to see them do it, and i think it has half a chance to make it.

well the guys on the mythbusters forum seem to think its fake. mainly for the fact that the cord comming out of the vid card is black and the cord going to the monitor is white.

i definitely think its fake. I overclocked a P4 2.8C to 4.2 GHz (really excentric heat sink...aluminum tube welded to an aluminum block, then filled with dry ice and alcohol)....i barely got CPUz up before it started smoking. That chip was fried, but didnt explode...i really call BS firecracker on that.

If you look back at it, you can see the fan wire is run in a hole to the left (towards the camera) and there is something that comes out of that hole right before the chip explodes. The MB probably already has a hole cut in it, and the fire cracker was rigged to blow when he pulled the cord out.

look at the hole in the table top.
fake melamine tablbe don't go like that swing a hammer hard at a table top and see what happens, not some little hole and more than one wack. Also the fact the board did not jump up? think what is harder the chip or the table top. In an explosion the light easyier to move object will take a brunt of the force

Firecracker under the processor. Monitor was on another machine close by.

CPU's MIGHT make a small pop, not an explosion like that...

They run on smoke... when the smoke leaks out, they don't work anymore.

Looks like a ceramic package Duron too- which never made it over 1.2GHz in stock form if I remember correctly. The fiber package Durons that might actually be able to make it to 3.8GHz had green packages (pretty sure), and you can see the fibers in the package surface.

Back