What Head Gasket Do I Use For Cr/vtec?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

importimage

I have a CR/VTEC Turbo with a OEM head gasket right now and I know it is failing because when I installed it, I did not re-torque the head bolts. I found out afterwards that this is absolutly necessary on a turbo motor (Live and Learn). My car is lacking power and is leaking oil out of the front of the block. I have researched cometic gaskets and they seem to offer a superior product. Can anyone tell me which one i should go with:

My head has already been milled a few times in the past...not too sure how much. I say this because I know that there is not too much piston to valve clearance.

Bore Size: 85 mm or 86.5 mm?

Thickness: .025, .030, .040, .054, .067, .078, .098, or .120?

My head will have to be resurfaced again once I pull it off.

Please let me know which combination I should go with.

What is the allowable warpage limit on the CRV B20B block......say, if the block is warped too much, if I choose a thicker headgasket, will that take care of that margin of error.

the stock bore of the crv is 84mm
if you bored it out, then get the proper size. else get the 84. i don't know why they list 85 and 86.5, cuz it should be an 84 too.

thickness- the thinner you go- the more compression your motor will make, and vice versa. depending on your piston's compression- try to keep your self under 10:1 if you are tuned propoerly, or around 9:1 to be safer.

as for the allowable warpage- its in your helms manual.

http://www.helminc.com

Right now, the block is completly stock. What would you recommend that I do to the bottom end? I will get an 85 mm head gasket. My friend works at a spped shop and he knows that he can get a custom one made....I dunno though

How thick would you recommend I go. Seeing that the pistons are so close already to slapping the valves, it would not hurt to get a slighlty thicker than stock one...would it. Do you know how thick the oem B20B head gaskets are?

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Apr 28 2003, 08:46 AM
cuz it should be an 84 too.

In stock configuration,don't the B20's still use the same 81mm bore gaskets as the LS?

headbores.jpg

The LS head gasket is different than the B20 Head gasket for sure...meaning that the differnet holes (not the big ones) line up differently than the LS head gasket does.

Originally posted by importimage@Apr 29 2003, 02:52 AM
The LS head gasket is different than the B20 Head gasket for sure...meaning that the differnet holes (not the big ones) line up differently than the LS head gasket does.

Why is that?,the B20 head is practically the same as the P75.

the head is the same, yes.
but the bore is not.

thats how come the b20 has more compression.... smaller chamber.

you need an 84mm gasket.

the diagram you posted is confusing cuz it lists the stroke too-

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Apr 29 2003, 08:39 AM

the diagram you posted is confusing cuz it lists the stroke too-

The diagram is showing that even though it has a 84mm bore it still uses a 81mm bore head gasket (in stock form),that is according to the article.

Back