What is a common engine swap for a '89 hatch?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

John89

Wanna be speed demon.
I was wanting to know a common engine swap for my perticular car and is it capable of impresive 1/4 times?

B-series swaps are probably the most common for your car. As for quarter mile times, it depends on which engine we're talking, other mods done to the car, how much the car weighs, lots of other factors...

Probably a b16 since that's what the JDM models had. That engine supposedly puts out 170 hp and 106 ft/lbs stock.

Now if you build the internals and boost the shit out of it it's capable of over 600 hp and sub 10 second quarters which is very impressive for a gas-saving compact ;).

But, a B18C GSR or Type R would be your best bet unless you've got money out the ass for a K20 swap.

What is one of the engines that are, I wanna say easiest to build but I mean as in parts and stuff. But at the same time I can get some horsies out of it. Like (B16, ect.)

Well I'm going to kinda Invest in it... After everything about $2,500-3,250 Just for the car. But before that happens I need to read up and what not so I can get a idea about what Im doing.. Swap wise.

Turbo D16s. ~200whp with homemade setups are common, and 300-400whp with "Vitara" setups and reinforced blocks. Hell, one guy is at freaking 730whp with a D16. Not to mention parts are much cheaper for the D.

A B16 realistically puts down like 120-130whp. For the price of a B16 swap, you can have a peppy and somewhat faster D16. If you want more power; D<B<F/H<K

Oh yea, key to impressive 1/4 times is TRACTION!!!

How much would a D16 run me?

I've seen D16A6 longblocks go for like $100-$200. I'm sure you can get a complete swap for about $200-$400(depending on year and trim). A lot of people overlook the D's and usually sell them for dirt cheap.

<-Running a JDM D15B VTEC and DOHC ZC transmission that I got for a grand total of $270 :D That includes ECU and Z6 engine harness also ;)

Depends. If you want to move to an OBD1 ECU, you'd need a conversion harness or rewire it yourself(or get someone else to do it). The OBD0 ECU's can be modified/tune also though, and yes a "complete swap" should include the ECU.

What trim is your car? If it's a non-Si(pretty much either D15B1 or D15B2), you'll also need to do an MPFI conversion. If you swap the D16A6 in, it's only adding a few wires.

I have a Dual point D15B2.... Lol, see why this is important to ditch? As far as the computer wouldn't I have to switch to the D16's computer?

Yes you do; the D15B2 ECU does not support four injectors. There are people who do MPFI conversion on their D15B2's and it helps out a lot.

If you have time and a little spare cash; do the MPFI conversion on your D15B2(with D16A6 ECU), swap in a D16A6 camshaft with a D16Y8 cam gear, and you'll definitely notice a difference. Throw in P29/PM7 pistons along with reground cam, bolt-ons, and tuning, you have something that'll keep up or even beat some B-series.

Okay Im with you so far but what is so different about a d15 and a d16?

as far as the D15B1/B2 and D16A6 goes; different displacement/short block, and different cam and intake manifolds.

The D16A6 is out of the Si trim CRX and Civics. the MPFI system distributes fuel better and manifold flows better, and the camshaft is more aggressive on the A6.

Last edited:
Okay, If I was to do the dual point to multi point FI. It would require a computer swap but would there be any tuning needed?

No, no tuning needed. I suggested tuning only if you swap out the pistons for P29/PM7 pistons and got a reground cam.

Okay, right now the swap is possible for me what kind of wiring would I need to get out of the other car?

Back