1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is an avatar?

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by Loco Honkey, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Loco Honkey

Loco Honkey Banned

Kinda interesting... I typed in avatar in www.dictionary.com and came up with this...

So why are the little icons under our names called avatars?

Also, that lead me to look up Vishnu, because previous to doing that search, I thought it was just some guy's name that works on Subarus..

Oh well. Interesting to me; may not be to you. :p

2. TDaddy

TDaddy Senior Member

Hmm...that is interesting. :huh:

3. dohcvtec_accord

dohcvtec_accord WRX Sellout

Loco: Look at your second definition. An avatar is also an embodiment of something formless or spiritual. If you want to extend it to the intArnet, an avatar (in this definition) can be basically explained as a symbol.

And I believe, the reason Vishnu Tuning is named as such, is that the owner/founder's name is Shiv, which leads me to believe he's Indian, hence the Vishnu deity reference. Could be wrong on that though.

4. jamesA

jamesA Well known pissed off telephone guy VIP

very interesting...

5. DarkHand

DarkHand Senior Member VIP

As far as the internet/gaming is concerned, the use of the term Avatar came from the Ultima series of games. You played as The Avatar, the hero and savior of Sosaria. It eventually seeped into many other games, and became a generic term for your portrait or description. There's alot more history to it on the gaming side, but that's all I can recall off the top of my head while sitting here brain dead at work. :)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted