What is an avatar?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Kinda interesting... I typed in avatar in www.dictionary.com and came up with this...

av·a·tar ( P ) Pronunciation Key (v-tär)
n.
The incarnation of a Hindu deity, especially Vishnu, in human or animal form.
An embodiment, as of a quality or concept; an archetype: the very avatar of cunning.
A temporary manifestation or aspect of a continuing entity: occultism in its present avatar.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Sanskrit avatra, descent (of a deity from heaven), avatar : ava, down + tarati, he crosses; see ter-2 in Indo-European Roots.]

So why are the little icons under our names called avatars?

Also, that lead me to look up Vishnu, because previous to doing that search, I thought it was just some guy's name that works on Subarus..

Vish·nu ( P ) Pronunciation Key (vshn)
n. Hinduism
One of the principal Hindu deities, worshiped as the protector and preserver of worlds. Vishnu is often conceived as a member of the triad including also Brahma and Shiva.

Oh well. Interesting to me; may not be to you. :p

Loco: Look at your second definition. An avatar is also an embodiment of something formless or spiritual. If you want to extend it to the intArnet, an avatar (in this definition) can be basically explained as a symbol.

And I believe, the reason Vishnu Tuning is named as such, is that the owner/founder's name is Shiv, which leads me to believe he's Indian, hence the Vishnu deity reference. Could be wrong on that though.

very interesting...

As far as the internet/gaming is concerned, the use of the term Avatar came from the Ultima series of games. You played as The Avatar, the hero and savior of Sosaria. It eventually seeped into many other games, and became a generic term for your portrait or description. There's alot more history to it on the gaming side, but that's all I can recall off the top of my head while sitting here brain dead at work. :)

Back