1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what is an electrical load detector?

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by import_racer, Jul 29, 2003.

1. import_racer

import_racer Member

what is the purpose of the electrical load detector? i get it at the odd times when i am at high rpms. when i restart the car, the cel goes away. also, i have a high pitched sound at the alternator at times, could that be the problem? thanks guys!

2. import_racer

import_racer Member

anyone? also, what if i unplug it? would it run okay still? i read on hybrid that usdm cars dont have that feature.

3. import_racer

import_racer Member

okay, forget the unplugging part. there is no wire there. what would cause my car to show a code 20?

4. Jim Truett

Jim Truett Senior Member

All Hondas have an ELD. It senses the load that the accessories and lighting put on the alternator, and sends a signal to the ECU. The ELD is one component that the ECU uses to regulate the alternator's output. It sounds like your alternator might be taking a shit, and the ELD is not seeing steady current passing through it.

5. import_racer

import_racer Member

so it could be a faulty alternator? i dont have a stereo right now, used to. the cel comes on sometimes when i am in high rpms in third or fourth. the other times i did it in first or second, it never came on? Still think it might be the alternator? I hear a high pitch sound from the alternator belt at times. If that helps. Thanks.

6. Jim Truett

Jim Truett Senior Member

:doh:

Please tell me you checked the belt tension before posting! If the belt is slipping, tighten it! That might be the problem. If the belt is slipping, the alt will have diminished output, and that may be the cause of the cel.

7. import_racer

import_racer Member

i havent checked!! woops. how do i go about in doing this and adjusting the tension?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted