what is an electrical load detector?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

what is the purpose of the electrical load detector? i get it at the odd times when i am at high rpms. when i restart the car, the cel goes away. also, i have a high pitched sound at the alternator at times, could that be the problem? thanks guys!

Originally posted by import_racer@Jul 29 2003, 06:29 PM
what is the purpose of the electrical load detector? i get it at the odd times when i am at high rpms. when i restart the car, the cel goes away. also, i have a high pitched sound at the alternator at times, could that be the problem? thanks guys!

All Hondas have an ELD. It senses the load that the accessories and lighting put on the alternator, and sends a signal to the ECU. The ELD is one component that the ECU uses to regulate the alternator's output. It sounds like your alternator might be taking a shit, and the ELD is not seeing steady current passing through it.

so it could be a faulty alternator? i dont have a stereo right now, used to. the cel comes on sometimes when i am in high rpms in third or fourth. the other times i did it in first or second, it never came on? Still think it might be the alternator? I hear a high pitch sound from the alternator belt at times. If that helps. Thanks.

Originally posted by import_racer@Jul 31 2003, 08:31 PM
so it could be a faulty alternator? i dont have a stereo right now, used to. the cel comes on sometimes when i am in high rpms in third or fourth. the other times i did it in first or second, it never came on? Still think it might be the alternator? I hear a high pitch sound from the alternator belt at times. If that helps. Thanks.

:doh:

Please tell me you checked the belt tension before posting! If the belt is slipping, tighten it! That might be the problem. If the belt is slipping, the alt will have diminished output, and that may be the cause of the cel.

i havent checked!! woops. how do i go about in doing this and adjusting the tension?

Back