what is the best sohc for na build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dreded90crxsi

I already know about the benifits of a dohc engin but I love sohc engins plus they are cheaper. I'm thinking of either sticking with my d16a6 and putting on a d16z6 head or swaping to an f22b1. I have herd all the stuff about the f22 being heavy and causing understeer but I'm not concerned about that. I guess what I'm really asking is which engin do you think has more potential. Notice I said more potential not more support, there is a differance there. Money isn't much of an issue, thats what savings accounts and patience are for. Thanks in advance for all opinions and help.

D16a6, D16z6, and the D16y8 have most potential, of all the SOHCs, especially if you have a civic. If you have an accord look into the F22, but it is much heavier than the D series motors. I would recommen a Mini me swap if you already have the 1.6l bottom end. Oh and the D16y8 intake manifold is really good.

I have a 90 crx si so I already have a d16a6. So far the only real mod I've done is removed the cat. I like the d16's but I like the numbers for the f22b1, 145hp and 147tq. I've herd of people getting 135hp and 111tq at the wheels with an a6 block and z6 head so thats good numbers there too. Either engin I go with I will be converting to obd1. what I would like to do is reach somewhere around 200hp or more at the wheels. I think tomorrow I'll have to stop by the local salvage yard and get some prices on parts. Thanks for the advice.

stock d series parts are cheap, aftermarket are pretty much the same as b series. So by the time its all said and done, the money you have into a sohc could have been put into a b16 or ls and you'd be just as fast, but have more potential. Honestly, unless you are going to turbo a sohc, they are about pointless, weel good gas milage. Just don't get impatient, and save your money till you can get something worth your time

incase your like some of the other nut cases tho, myself included, you dont wanna do what everyone else does.
Just don't get impatient, and save your money till you can get something worth your time
this is very important. research and research more, then buy. is this a daily driver? cause you could always build a really high compression race gas only car. it'd be funny.

Originally posted by dreded90crxsi@May 24 2004, 02:49 PM
what I would like to do is reach somewhere around 200hp or more at the wheels.

You're not going to make 200whp on a D block easily without a turbo, especially on pump gas. Good luck.

Back