1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is wrong?

Discussion in 'ECU's, Electronics, and Tuning' started by biglee414, Nov 13, 2004.

1. biglee414

biglee414 Senior Member

OK, so I was swapping out my old alternator. I forgot to unhook the battery (stupid me!!!). I arced the old alternator when I was taking off one of the wires. I swapped in my new alternator, replaced the battery fuse, and it ran very well for about a day. I was sitting in line at the bank drive through. It died. I replaced it again, it blew immediately. I replaced it a 3rd time, this time left the battery disconnected for about 10 min, replaced the fuse, then hooked the battery up, blew as soon as i connected the battery. The guy at the auto parts store told me it would probably be $65-80/hour w/ a 2 hour min. to find the problem.
    Do any of you guys have a clue what it could be. If I F'ed it up, why did it take a day to rear it's ugly head? Could it be an ECU prob.? My car is a 90 hf crx by the way. How much would you guys estimate the cost? Help in anyway would be appreciated. Thank you for your help in advance.

2. handlebarsfsr

handlebarsfsr Senior Member

sounds like during the arc you melted a wire, and its grounding out somewhere.

3. hcivic.com

hcivic.com Senior Member

up you shorted it out so now check all the wires carfully with a volt meter

4. biglee414

biglee414 Senior Member

Where do I start at? Do I start at the ECU and go to (?) where? Help! I have a volt meter, which setting do I have it on? 15v? Any help plz! How hard is it to do your self? how do I replace a wire in the harness? Is it worth taking to a shop or should I do it?

5. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

start at the fuse thats popping. trace every route that goes into it.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted