What is wrong?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

biglee414

OK, so I was swapping out my old alternator. I forgot to unhook the battery (stupid me!!!). I arced the old alternator when I was taking off one of the wires. I swapped in my new alternator, replaced the battery fuse, and it ran very well for about a day. I was sitting in line at the bank drive through. It died. I replaced it again, it blew immediately. I replaced it a 3rd time, this time left the battery disconnected for about 10 min, replaced the fuse, then hooked the battery up, blew as soon as i connected the battery. The guy at the auto parts store told me it would probably be $65-80/hour w/ a 2 hour min. to find the problem.
Do any of you guys have a clue what it could be. If I F'ed it up, why did it take a day to rear it's ugly head? Could it be an ECU prob.? My car is a 90 hf crx by the way. How much would you guys estimate the cost? Help in anyway would be appreciated. Thank you for your help in advance.

Where do I start at? Do I start at the ECU and go to (?) where? Help! I have a volt meter, which setting do I have it on? 15v? Any help plz! How hard is it to do your self? how do I replace a wire in the harness? Is it worth taking to a shop or should I do it?

Back