Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Associate's Degree (2 year)

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Bachelor's Degree (4 year)

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • Masters Program/ PhD

Votes: 4 7.8%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'm still in college. :) Though, seriously reconsidering.

Reading this thread shouldn't make you reconsider, if a college education is what you want, it should inspire you to stand out and do your best :)

I use not one ounce of my education in the last 3 years I've been working. At least when I was in retail management, I was using my education on the HR side of things.

Either way, I still make close to what I would if I went into a field suited towards my major. I'm content, though--for now.

i have two associates degrees as well...the first in auto tech which earned me a whole $6.50 an hour. i looked for another tech job but no one was hiring so i went back and got number 2 in auto body. i dont earn alot but i love what i do

honestly though iv learned way more from working than i ever did at that shit ass community college

imo college is over rated in alot of cases but i wouldnt want some home grow lawyer or doctor

I went to college mostly because I had a scholarship and wrestled. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have gone, or would have opted for a vocational/trade degree.

4 years degree, would I do it again? NO

BS in Aerospace Engineering. Masters is a possibility in the future but no immediate plans to do so.

I have a AD. Honestly I really kind of lucked out with landing the job I have. However it had more to do with the consulting I did on the side in high school and college. Also, a group of my fellow ITT tech kids where allowed to "play" on the student side of the network. Rinning special prodjects and what not. So that also counted towards real life experince.

Reading this thread shouldn't make you reconsider, if a college education is what you want, it should inspire you to stand out and do your best :)

It's not the thread at all; need money now! Also, a lot of people with degrees not working in their field; and plenty of engineers, etc. getting laid off. I'm thinking of going into a trade instead(welding or HVAC).

Bachelor's degree, starting an MBA and then an MS in the very near future.

Wife: Bachelor's degree, one MA down, halfway through her MS.

So between us we'll have 4 master's degrees... and neither of us is in a job/career that you can do without full 4-year college educations plus graduate work.

It all depends on what you want to do in life, and even though you can be wildly successful without a 4 year degree, I promise you that there are MANY more opportunities with a college degree in hand than without.

4 years degree, would I do it again? NO

Oh, and to this- I would definitely do it again, but I would go straight through and get my MS immediately following my BS instead of waiting until later. It's much easier to do the degrees up front. If I had followed this path I'd be working on a PhD right now instead of thinking about getting my MS.

I have two associates degrees, general studies and criminal justice. And 97 hours towards my bachelors in criminal justice. Ill finish if I decide to get out of the Army.

Degrees are like keys....you might not need it for the job, but you need it to unlock the door.

even a lot of sales jobs require a 4 year degree. every career progression and jump to the next level needs some sort advancement.

i'll post my thoughts after another page or two. i'd like to summarize what i find.

I also look at college as a sign that tells employeers you are willing to invest in yourself and know how to put up with bullshit you know will be zero help outside of a lecture hall.

in my opinion college is the hard way to get a job. i went to college for a year and quit. a few years later i went to a tech school for a year and half, and it was great. i got a good job immediately, starting at $20/hr. to me the tech school was more fun, more educational, took less time, and opened the door to a career, just the same way that college can.

Associates in Science
Certificate in Computer Information Systems

I do regret not getting my B.A. though it's never to late i guess.

in my opinion college is the hard way to get a job. i went to college for a year and quit. a few years later i went to a tech school for a year and half, and it was great. i got a good job immediately, starting at $20/hr. to me the tech school was more fun, more educational, took less time, and opened the door to a career, just the same way that college can.

I wish more people would realize this. It is so frustrating dealing my students parents when they think a 4-5-6 year degree is "better" than going to a tech school to get an associates degree. There are a ton of careers that are just as prestigious (sp?) as a 4 year college degree at tech schools. The view is still that a 2 year degree is for the people who couldn't get into college. Which is not the case at all.

Back