What kind of car should I buy?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hey guys,

For as long as I can remember I havn't been able to decide what kind of car I want to buy. As of late I finally decided that I wont be happy unless I have a 10 second car. It would be a daily driver. I wan't more than just speed, I also want looks!

What I'd like from you guys: Throw up a list of cars thats possible to even have as a 10 second daily driver. Cars that aren't over 30,000 dollars please.

Thanks a lot guys

Get a 240 Z and use the JTR mounts to put a 350 small block chevy in it. Then supercharge it to about 450 hp and put an s200 rear end it it. 18" slicks and some driving ability and you have your 10s.....and the sexiest car arround.

All for about $15,000 :D

Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 six-pack, tremec and holley dominator 1000 cfm.

-> Steve

2nd gen eclipse, t-4 turbo, a nos fogger system, cool air intake, aic, direct port nitrous injection, and a stand alone fuel managment system,

Originally posted by JOHNNYLIGHTFOOT@Jul 12 2004, 07:52 PM
2nd gen eclipse, t-4 turbo, a nos fogger system, cool air intake, aic, direct port nitrous injection, and a stand alone fuel managment system,

Not a bad way to spend Ten Thousand dollars.

But seriously josh, you should set a project budget, and if you want FWD or RWD. The latter will be a huge factor in the former.

just build this...

s40f33bfacaa5d.jpg

s40f33c25c8345.jpg

that's a S/C Buick 3800 series V6. Retailer clams over 260 bhp @5300 rpm, and 300 ft lbs of torque @ 3600 rpm

Claims the car ran a 12.642@112 but due to the absence of a roll cage and proper safety gear was unable to make enough runs.

I saw one at the SEDiv SCCA Divisionals in Gainesville, FL last month. A really cool car.

Good tuning, a cage, sticky tires = 10 sec car

Price? approx $15,000

98 TA WS6, cost ya about 10-13 grand. 150 shot nitrous, slicks, gears and you're in the 11s easy.

head and bottom end work =10s and 9s... street legal too.

69 yenko nova
502 chevy bb
dart pro 1 aluminum heads (PnP)
weiand 177ci pro street blower
350 shot fogger system (bored rail)

get some traction and hold the fuck on

i heard buick grand nationals are good cars to build up for the times u want. They cost about 8-9k but thats all i know about domestics, i kinda focus my attention to imports.

that 1/8 mile time is impressive, i expected more whp out of that...seems kinda low doesnt it? my dads built 509 dynoed at 808 bhp at 7000k and 796 ft. lbs. at around 5600k

that motor is ina mud truck right now, but were looking a old pontiac lemans to drop it into to, have a play car

How about you go pick up the GrassRoots MotorSports mag that had the challenge of "run 11's for under 2k" issue...............tons of cars to pick from

Hard to find a Buick GN in good shape.....But Josh....Its all about what you think looks good for a car...you can build any car fast....What kind cars do you like....?You want small and quick like a civic or a celica? Do you want Big and bulky with mean power like a Old Nova...or old Charger or do you want something medium....like stang or Vette......Posting on a Honda site, i would assume you looking into a Honda or Acura?

Originally posted by lowandslow@Jul 12 2004, 09:58 PM
that 1/8 mile time is impressive, i expected more whp out of that...seems kinda low doesnt it? my dads built 509 dynoed at 808 bhp at 7000k and 796 ft. lbs. at around 5600k

that motor is ina mud truck right now, but were looking a old pontiac lemans to drop it into to, have a play car

You know, i asked him the same thing today...His Hp seems low for that motor build, but he is running an 85 Vette, rwhp was prolly around 210 so he has about 160+hp added...haven't gotten an answer yet, but i would expect bigger numbers as well...but 373rwhp is lot especialy with his gears and rear end setup with slicks....we got guys with 1200hp daily driver Vettes on that site though its crazy....some people have TOO much money....

You should buy an MKIII Supra and swap in a 2JZ-GTE from a MKIV into it and give it the HKS treatment. You could do that easily for under 30k and make insane power. :D

Originally posted by corvetteguy+Jul 12 2004, 10:06 PM-->
lowandslow
@Jul 12 2004, 09:58 PM
that 1/8 mile time is impressive, i expected more whp out of that...seems kinda low doesnt it?  my dads built 509 dynoed at 808 bhp at 7000k and 796 ft. lbs. at around 5600k

that motor is ina  mud truck right now, but were looking a old pontiac lemans to drop it into to, have a play car

You know, i asked him the same thing today...His Hp seems low for that motor build, but he is running an 85 Vette, rwhp was prolly around 210 so he has about 160+hp added...haven't gotten an answer yet, but i would expect bigger numbers as well...but 373rwhp is lot especialy with his gears and rear end setup with slicks....we got guys with 1200hp daily driver Vettes on that site though its crazy....some people have TOO much money....

yea, get the right gears under anything and it makes a world of difference
ur vette is doing good for itself i see, made decent numbers after the procharger

and 1200 hp daily driven is just ridonkolous, whats that about .3450867 miles per gallon :lol:

Well I was actually thinking of building an older car (late 60's) but it's too expensive. A half way decent camaro body is 5000 or more, plus hundreds of hours of work, mixed with no power and horrible gas mileage drove me away. I was originally thinking of getting an Acura Integra GSR and rebuilding + turbo, but that doesn't seem like 10's. I kind of ruled out any FWD car after that. I moved on to the VR4 but I don't like the body 100% and its too big of a car. Then I thought about swapping a VR4 engine into GSX body, but I have no idea of its possible. So now I'm maybe thinking of a Toyota Supra Turbo? I've never seen one in real life, and its a good looking car. Other cars I was thinking of were Toyota MR2, 240sx(not sure if it can hit 10's) or something along those lines. I hate Mustangs so I would never get one... I want to stomp corvette's so those are out too. I dono what else? I heard GSX engines are just junk and crankwalk...

what do you guys think? I dont like the look of most of the older cars, like older civics and crx's and integra and supra... dont like the look at all!

help me out here guys!

josh

p.s. i usually buy my cars from an insurance salvage yard with some type of damage done to them or something like that. I just found another one online called the autosource ... don't know if its legit yet, it's supposed to have more exotic type's of cars, I seen some Ferrari's and porsche's on there. There's a 94 Turbo Supra that was hit in the rear end but I think it sold. Not 100% sure of the locations either, it just claims 15 nationwide...

Anyways... let me know guys!

Back