What kind of car should I buy?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I don't think you realize just how fast a 10second quarter mile is. Have you ever ridden in a mid-to-low 12 second car? That is shit your pants fast. 99.9% of cars on the road don't even run 13's so an Integra or Civic running 12's would be a great goal. And then take the other 15-20 thousand dollars and go to college or put a DP on a house or something. I'm just saying, think about what you want. 10's are awfully fast. 12's will put you even with Cobras and Z06's. What the fuck more do you want?

Then I thought about swapping a VR4 engine into GSX body, but I have no idea of its possible

hm, good thought...but i'd say damn near expensive if it was possible, maybe it is tho ive never hearf of it being done. whcih way does a vr4 engine mount in the 3000gt? enough room int he gsx engine bay for it? its a cluster fuck under the hood of a gsx already.

I dont like the look of most of the older cars, like older civics and crx's and integra and supra... dont like the look at all!

i assume u mean the first gen supras? cuz the supra tt's are out of control. dude, u cant go wrong with a supra, like dohc22a4 said, if u can find one near you, in stock trim u can get one for under 30k, if i had 30k i would go on a nation wide search for a supra, anyway...get a boost ocntroller and some exhaust work and ur golden

Actually i was tallking about the 89-92 mkiii supras. Those are tits. :)

Anyhow, I think josh should keep his 98 Civic EX and give either JG Engine Dynamics or Jeff at Import Builders a call. Jeff's 2.0VTEC turbo crate motor lays down gobs of power, even on low boost. I think a 12 second Civic on street tires is a nice sound goal.

Or you could buy Brian's del Sol. It'll cost you whatever he wants and whatever else it takes to fix that fucking fuse problem and you can run 10's on slicks.

That movie's insane. My uncle has a 35 Coupe with a highway patrol engine in it. In the 4500lbs ish Highway Patrol Car it hits 160, my uncles coupe only ways like 2400. Dont know what that runs 1/4 mile but im sure its around 10 forsure.

I dono... I want a 93+ Twin Turbo Supra... I think I can pick one up for around 11,000

Originally posted by josh_isakson@Jul 13 2004, 12:14 AM
That movie's insane. My uncle has a 35 Coupe with a highway patrol engine in it. In the 4500lbs ish Highway Patrol Car it hits 160, my uncles coupe only ways like 2400. Dont know what that runs 1/4 mile but im sure its around 10 forsure.

I dono... I want a 93+ Twin Turbo Supra... I think I can pick one up for around 11,000

Good Luck

something to keep in mind. If you ever happen to make enough power to run 10s in the 1/4 mile you WILL NOT want to drive it daily.

This is one of them you wont understand until you do it things so have fun and build your daily drivin 10sec car =)

Just remember if it's built right you will have upkeep out the ass.

I suppose your right, maybe I should just build something less extreme for daily driving. Either rebuild a GSR engine and turbo, or keep with the supra and just add a little HP

You think I can find a 93+ Twin Turbo Supra for under 15,000?

I still think an IB Spec crate motor into your Civic would be great for a daily driver. However, I digress...

You won't find a Supra is good condition for under 15K unless it has super high miles on it. Plus, insurance is going to rape your butt for full coverage on that car. Just something to mull over.

Go to a surplus buy a cop car ... super charger... strip everything out... done.....

Imports... umm... supra and just start adding boost... there is guy that spent 23k on the whole project and ran a 10.8 at mokan... others.. 240z with a 350 is a VERY good idea.. especially if you find an ls1 to put in it.. and then go crazy on the motor... hell... just about any RWD import and just add either a lot of boost or a lot of swapage and you will most likely see something in a 10 sooner or latter...

there's no way your picking up a 1993 TT supra for under 20k, i;ve seen non turbo, non running 1994's with 90k selling for 15k that need a few things done to make it run.....

There's only one thing that wil make a car go fast....Money....if you can't lay it down...then your 10sec is looking farther and farther away....The only way your getting a 10sec daily driver without spending 30k is getting a car that already runs fast....your not gonna drive a 10sec integra or civic as a daily driver, i think people are right in saying, if your gonna build the car...a excellent goal would be to make it run 12's..If not, you mine as well buy a car that runs 10 already instead of wasting all the time and money it takes to make a car run 10's....

Here's a good start

Originally posted by dohch22a4@Jul 13 2004, 04:13 AM
I still think an IB Spec crate motor into your Civic would be great for a daily driver. However, I digress...

You won't find a Supra is good condition for under 15K unless it has super high miles on it. Plus, insurance is going to rape your butt for full coverage on that car. Just something to mull over.

I'm sure that is a good idea, but I bought the honda I drive now as a theft recovery from an insurance salvage auction for 2300. Now that its fixed its worth somewhere around 7500. So Im going to sell it and keep the profit to put towards another car to fix and sell. After I get through about 3 car's fixed and sold I should have somplace around 8,000. If you add that to the 500 I can save a month, it comes out to around 11,000 after 6 months.

Your sure on the not finding a supra under 15k unless insane miles? I looked on cars.com and seen a couple under 100k going for like 11-15,000

who knows...

I'll probably end up buying an Integra from the Insurance auction and just turbo'ing that and building the engine to keep up with Z06's and smoke the rest.

Hrmm

Originally posted by revolution8k@Jul 12 2004, 08:52 PM
98 TA WS6, cost ya about 10-13 grand. 150 shot nitrous, slicks, gears and you're in the 11s easy.

head and bottom end work =10s and 9s... street legal too.

My friend Tyler Kraft has a 99 TA WS6. Pushinf close to 480 RWHP. Well he cnat keep 2nd gear in it. And even without 2nd he runs a good "12" guarter.

Has Nitrous, Cam, Exhuast, Slicks and 3.90 (I think) Gears. Great car... sounds really healthy too! When it isnt broken.

Originally posted by josh_isakson@Jul 13 2004, 10:24 AM
Your sure on the not finding a supra under 15k unless insane miles? I looked on cars.com and seen a couple under 100k going for like 11-15,000

Welp not TT Supras, i mean you can find them....

1994 Supra 134k miles non turbo

1995 Supra 118k miles non turbo

1995 Supra non turbo 115k

1993 twin turbo with 160k

If you wanna keep up with a Z06 your gonna have to put alot of money into these cars...You mine as well buy a used z06, if you can't beat them, join them

2001 z06

if you want a 10 second car, and you don't want to spend a shit load of cash, don't go imports. Imports are expensive to make go that fast, and when they are, DD is just not possible.

Domestic's a great for going fast in a straight line. Buy a z28, throw a blower on it, some high performance axles, and a set of drag slicks, and you won't be too far off.

Id check out http://www.v8miata.com
You can drop a 4.6 or 5.0 ford motor into a miata with their kit. Though the 5.0 on their example runs 12's, it is also an 80's ish 5.0. Throw in a 320 svt 4.6 with a bit of mods and im sure hitting your 1/4 mile time will not be hard to achieve. Beyond that (according to the site) the car still handles well and only picks up 250 lbs of extra weight from the motor, and given that you will only need minor modifications drivability shouldnt be a bad at all.

90 Miata: $2-3k
kit: $3,995.00
v-8 motor and transmission (used): 5kish if you look.

Even if you go all out and spend 10k on the motor and pay to have the work done you will still be way under your budget, and be one of the few people to say that you have a v8 miata.

they have a crate motor, not sure who makes it, but it puts out someting like 725 hp and about the same tq. the only downside is that it costs like 14k. If u put that motor in any car u will be running 10's with just a supercharger. so id say if u but that motor along with a decent older car for about 5-10k and thow in a few simple boltons then your on your way to having a 10 sec car.

Thanks guys,

I'll just keep my eyes open for a damaged Supra. I've ran across 2 so far that are selling for 9000 that need some work, but low miles. 1 was hit in the rear end, and the one that Im looking at now is about 50 miles from here and its got some damage on the driver side quarter, nothing super bad. If I could find one thats just totally smoked in on the passenger side I would be sitting pretty. 1997 Supra with 100 miles on it for 10k... thats not bad.

It just shows me that they ARE around if you look for them. I had to look through about 50 websites of repairable's but I found one!

Back