what kind of engine could i use with a awd conversion?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SHOGUNOVDDRK

ok so the other day i had a idea...why not make my 86 hatchback awd....^_^

so i have a few concerns...so here is the part where you come into it

what kind of engine could i use for the coversion (looking at using a zc) and what kind of parts would i need and would some of it have to be custom?

i know there was a awd civic wagon but would u be able to use parts from one of those?

comments are welcome...and any idea's are welcome too ;)

waste of time.

you want to make a FWD car an effective AWD car? use a 3g,4g, or 5g mirage. all three can be converted to AWD.

yeah i know mirage's are nice...but i want to do something different....

here in australia most mirages end up being rice...all the parts available are rice...
you hear a mirage rollin down the street they open up there window and the smell of rice just hits the air....

i personally love mirage's but in australia the ones that end up not being rice end up becoming mince..so hence the reason i want to do something different and new...

the problem with the Civic wagovans is the AWD is split like 90/10

90% of the power goes to the front and only 10% out back...
-so its a lot of extra weight/fabbing/time/ect to actually make the car slower

trust me, I looked waaay into this a long time ago with an EF CRX using a 2nd gen ZC, wagovan rear end and 6 speed trany (which isn't really 6...theres an ultra-low useless unless you're in 10" of mud gear)

there is at least 1 AWD CRX (an EF not an EW) with a CRV drivetrain in it, but it weighs about 3k lbs

-it was a good thought though

lol i knew about the ultra slow speed....

oh well i guess back to the drawing board...anyone have an idea how to identify the different engine types lol...might just get a plain swap and see how i go with that ;)

the engine code is engraved on the block right next to the tranny in the front

b18c5-2.jpg

zcstamp.jpg

Hey man you should do a DSM 4g63 in to your car. Motor, trans and the awd set-up that would be cool. My freind is just puting a 4g63 in to his crx fwd that going to be a fast car.

Last edited:
Back