What kind of Turbo Do I Have?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

95EGCoupeVtec

SOHC VTEC at its best
So anyway i was wondering what size my turbo is. the only stamp the whole thing has on it is this on the back of the compressor side:

1010032.jpg

Turbonetics T18133

I've tried google'ing it but came up with nothing.

what i dont understand is why people are buying turbochargers that they dont know the specifications of, or even if its the brand they think it is...i must be missing out on something, like "oh i got it from my friend who totaled his eg b series turbo"

A lot of people just get what they can score a great deal on, then go from there. Not everyone has the resources to exhaustively research flow maps, and then settle on a ball bearing framed; off standard turbo direct from Garret, since that's what the numbers say is the "best turbo". Turbos are fucking expensive.

A while back I could have gotten a Garret turbo from work for free off of one of these:
title.jpg

The compressor side is bigger than my hand. WAY bigger than my hand.:eek:
I had to pass on it lol.

i think i am going to the junk yard this weekend going to look at some deisle truck turbos. see what i can find.

I got one off a newer duramax for $20 from a friend. I had no plans for it. just wanted to learn some more about em. its either back home in Cbus or I just tossed it before the move.

Yeah I actually just picked a Garrett up from the junkyard. Mine is off of a Volvo though. a Garrett Tb03. Its hard to find good turbos in junk yards though

well turbonetics is shut for the week for some kind of thing they all went to. anyway, it was a full turbonetics kit, nothing wrong with it that i bought for $600 from a pretty good friend. i nvr asked him the specs b/c i knew it was the proper size and all. i just thought someone might know a good place to look for specs. i did talk to greg valentino at g spec performance (turbonetics' reccomended dealer) and he said it wasn't in there newest line. so i know that much. i assume its a 57 trim, obvious its a t3/t4. it was on a built type r with lower compression pistons running around 12 psi or so, making like 400+ whp.

maybe he was running more psi than that. the turbo doesn't look very big though. the inlet on the turbo is around 2.5" or so. but there is alot of wheel in the compressor side so idk. in neutral when i rev it to try and spool it it only makes about 2 or 3 psi, and that's pegging it out. so maybe it is a big turbo. maybe i should only run 7psi idk.

man if it wont spool while reving the engine in neutral some thing is wrong with it:ph34r: you should get rid of that thing asap.

well let me rephrase this: i think it's only spooling 3psi or so i wasn't actually lookin at the gauge when revving it bc i was adjusting the bov. it lets out alot of air thru the bov when it opens. it spools that's for sure. and its loud. it lets out a loud whistling, turbo-spooling sound. its definately spooling. i'm not sure if a large turbo would spool very much from revving in neutral b/c of not having any engine load on it. now my jetta 1.8t i used to own it would hit like 8psi revving in neutral b/c its a small ass turbo.

Last edited:
Back