what kind of wood?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

posol

RETIRED
Well, i had the idea that i want to build some shelves... i was watching hgtv last night and they did this awesome wrap-around home entertainment thinggee..... and i had an idea.

but i don't know what kind of wood to use.

it looks like they were using 3/4" thick ply wood... are the better choices? I was thinking 1/2" MDF.
thoughts from builders? :p

pine is fine, if you need something stronger get oak.

the end result, it was stained a dark brown color.

my living room is all black furtinture for the most part, so i am probably going to stain it black... but i don't think it will be dark enough... i'd like to get a solid black on it... no wood showing through

Dammit man.. I was scrolling through this thread, gitty to get to the bottom and click "FastReply" and then type "Balsa!"

Hey man, you need to keep your pad at a good racing weight.

stain on plywood or mdf?

i would stick with pine
takes nicely to stain and has a decent finish from the factory...

it depends on the design of the shelves themselves, what type of finish you want, and how much you want to spend.

what are you looking for?

I have built bookcases out of mdf, plywood and lumber. (shop teacher)

also to get a dark dark black stain I have used India Ink. It is a true black but it lets the grain show through.

I'd think you would have to use a shitload of stain on MDF, because that shit would just like....

soak up the stain...

it also seems like pine would be sturdier than MDF, and if you didn't stain it TOTALLY black, but just kinda...dark...so you could still see the wood grain...but it would be stained black...it'd look cool with pine....whereas with MDF it would just look like cardboard that you spilled ink on.

Yeah i saw that show it had orange walls? They used 3/4 plywood with edgebanding. I would say that what they used would work for you. Mdf might be too heavy and you really need to be skilled to keep it on the wall. unless you plan on doing a free standing unit. I also hang cabinets as well.

What experience do you have with this type of building?

What tools do you have? you will definately need a tablesay with dado blades in order to do a quality job.

Yeah i saw that show it had orange walls? They used 3/4 plywood with edgebanding. I would say that what they used would work for you. Mdf might be too heavy and you really need to be skilled to keep it on the wall. unless you plan on doing a free standing unit. I also hang cabinets as well.

What experience do you have with this type of building?

What tools do you have? you will definately need a tablesaw with dado blades in order to do a quality job.

im seeing double... lol

yes, thats the show :)

i dont ave a table saw--- yet.

I gave him some CF...I bet he never got to use it. :laugh:

draw out what you want and I'll come and help you build some shelves Bob Vila Style. For Audio componenets on the wall I firmly rely on Pine as MDF would require alot of support if long spans are required. Also, if your staining pine would be the better choice. Pine can also be painted black (or other wood for that matter) and can achieve the look of my furniture in the living room by using oil based paints.

I'm getting a new table say soon so I can let you use my current one if I'm not available, however, you might need a training session :wink:

Let me know Dood, Robyne is going to go look at dresses tomorrow night so I'll be around...

Back