what kind of wood?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Quoted post[/post]]
draw out what you want and I'll come and help you build some shelves Bob Vila Style. For Audio componenets on the wall I firmly rely on Pine as MDF would require alot of support if long spans are required. Also, if your staining pine would be the better choice. Pine can also be painted black (or other wood for that matter) and can achieve the look of my furniture in the living room by using oil based paints.

i can't draw... lol my drawings look like a 2yr old with ms paint.

i'm not planning to put any speakers or tv or receivers on it.

basically, i want to build around my tv stand... and speakers. maybe put the speakers on a bottom panel, but i don't want them any higher... and i'd like to keep the sub on the floor....

something like this... red/black is what i have.
blue is the shelving id like to add.

[attachmentid=227]

yea get steve to help you dude. i can see you trying to build this thing yourself and nailing your hand to it or something, lol.

yea, another vote for pine. if you were gonnna let the wood show, i'd say go with a little nicer wood, but pine would look really good stained black with the ink.

Question:

Are some of you confusing OSB with Plywood?

I have made many "nice" entertainment centers usin plywood. obviously it is not the construction grade stuff but you can get nice plywood that will stain and be stronger than pine in terms of sagging. If you do want to still go with pine i would suggest getting #2 1x?x? material from your local lumber yard. I use this in my freshman enterprising unit projects. It will sand up nice and only has a few knots in it. like I said if you want a nice rich black go with some india ink it looks nice and still lets the grain show through or you could use a black laquer finish that is sprayed on.

the shelving you designed looks nice, but its a whole lot of shelves B

what are you gonna do with it all?
i think i remember you had a HUGE dvd collection...
so you can store dvd's, but you'll prob want to build something form specific to dvd's for that...

seems a little intense for your first building project...
maybe you should start with a small shelf in the bathroom?
or one of those cabinet deals that go above the toilet?

do you have a laser level yet?
if not now's a great excuse to get one... :p

did you ever do the closet shelves/organizer project?

another great thing to do is a shoe "rack" over a stair way

not sure how your stair way is designed going into the garage but thats where i've seen a lot of nice shelves...
you put the shelves right in front of you as you go down the staircase, i might find a pic if you have no idea what i'm saying...

HiddenDoor.jpg

Get to work.

Quoted post[/post]]
the shelving you designed looks nice, but its a whole lot of shelves B

what are you gonna do with it all?
i think i remember you had a HUGE dvd collection...
so you can store dvd's, but you'll prob want to build something form specific to dvd's for that...

no, i dont want to put my dvd's in it... i have other shelving for that.

i dunno... that whole wall behind and around my tv/entertainmenet center is so blah... i'm looking to spruce it up a little bit.. and give me some space to throw some nicknacks, random stuff, a few candels, or whatever else for decoration.

seems a little intense for your first building project...
maybe you should start with a small shelf in the bathroom?
or one of those cabinet deals that go above the toilet?

i've built stuff before. I dont know why everyone thinks i'm an idiot. i'm no bob vila... but i'm not retarded either....
as for the toilet thing, i really don't want that...

do you have a laser level yet?
if not now's a great excuse to get one... :p

nope.

did you ever do the closet shelves/organizer project?

yeah, that was done the 3rd day i was there...

another great thing to do is a shoe "rack" over a stair way

not sure how your stair way is designed going into the garage but thats where i've seen a lot of nice shelves...
you put the shelves right in front of you as you go down the staircase, i might find a pic if you have no idea what i'm saying...

i dont think my stairs will work for this....

I don't think it's so much that people think you're an idiot - it's just that a shelving unit of this magnitude will more than likely require help.

no, people think i'm an idiot when it comes to doing anything besides typing. including most of my friends.

well - I don't think you're an idiot, per say. I know I'd get help on something that big.

i've built stuff before. I dont know why everyone thinks i'm an idiot. i'm no bob vila... but i'm not retarded either....

ooh, i know you're not an idiot, lol
like myself... i know i could build that
but making it look professional, and making it look like it belongs in a 150K condo?
eh, not so much my thing...

i live in what would be best described as a crack house
it was a slum, and its in the process of being improved since my brother bought it a couple years back...
and it where my building skills feel most at home :laugh:

so if it were me, i would definately not attempt building something to the extent of your design...

and i think everyone's perception of your home improvment skills comes specifically from the dryer vent thread...
that kind of gave the impression that you weren't so handy, at least thats what i got from it, but i guess not so handy with dryer vents would be more accurate...

Just as any project or hobby....small steps.

You cant run until you learn how to walk....

You cant build up a house until you know how they are built.

IF I have time...and you wanted it...I'd come over and give a hand on anything...lord knows you've helped me many times..

If you look at my computer skills...I'm an idiot....

We're all idiots in some way. :wink:

damn thats alot of shelves!

If you build that its going to make that room look mad small. I suggest something half that size. I'll draw something up in a minute and post. We can take a ride to HD tomorrow and check stuff out if you want :)

Back