1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what kinda numbers we talkin about here

Discussion in 'Forced Induction' started by boost_fed_ef, Aug 5, 2005.

1. boost_fed_ef

boost_fed_ef Member

so im doing a mini me swap as we speak... and after a few days if i get any kinks i might have worked out im gonna directly boost it... i had a few questions but as much as i read into the forum i cant find a similar setup that i have going here... so basically what i will have when im done will be:

block;

SOHC zc non vtec bottom end / y8 head
    not sure what arp head studs i need just yet (any ideas?)
    stock internals
    skunk 2 intake manifold
    skunk 2 cam gear
    ngk plug wires
    ngk 1 step colder plugs
    dsm 450cc injectors
    aem fuel rail
    b&m fpr
    obdo -> obd1 conversion with p28 socketed no idea on how to get at least a base map till i can get dyno time in

turbo set up:

2nd gen dsm 14b turbo
    hf manifold with adapter palte
    31 x 6 x 2.5 cca fmic
    2.5 down pipe
    ssqv BOV
    for now kink bent IC piping (cant afford mandrel bent)

extra stuff:

autometer a/f, oil pres., boost, tach
    apexi turbo timer

basically im kinda curious to see what would be a safe boost setting for a daily driver... and what i can probablly max it at? what kinda power am i lookin at with all this?

most of all AM I FORGETING SOMETHING?!!?

2. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

If you're doing all that, go ahead and get forged pistons and rods. With the setup as it stands now, you'd probably be safe up to 200-240whp depending on your tuning ability and how well the engine is assembled. With forged internals, you'll be a bunch better off- and could possibly make it to 300whp depending on how well you tune (not sure if you can on that turbo though).

3. CiViC_SOHC

CiViC_SOHC Senior Member

YES you can on that turbo actually that is the same turbo i am going to be using...you can make it safely on about 200-210whp without a SEVERE chance of detentation..just make sure you get it tuned...now I think on those swaps the compression is what 9:1? IF you are not gonna tune it like ASAP you will need to get either a AFC or a FMU..DO NOT drive around with it boosted and no tuning or anything...did you list bigger injectors I didn't see it...but anyways if you got the money I would build the block up if not and your like me just stick with what you got and save the money for a dyno tune...5-6psi is safe with a FMU but if you are getting it dyno tuned you can have a DD at like 10 psi...how many miles are on the engine?

4. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

fmu = fucks motors up.

get an ems.

5. boost_fed_ef

boost_fed_ef Member

the actual entire zc block was dropped in about 50k ago... ive compression tested it its in good condition
    recently i had a few over heating problems
    but i hooked up my fan to a hardwire and got rid of that

as far as building the whole block... because this is my first boost setup im gonna give it a try and see how things go before i get all to crazy im gonna get a z6 block and just ahve work done to it as money comes to me and just run the stock block for now

6. ef9civicgen4

ef9civicgen4 Senior Member

if your worried about detonation, get a water injection kit. most of the guys around me running more then 15psi use it, and some guys run 12psi with stock bottom ends with water injection. it cools the air, cools the fuel, cleans your engine, and keeps the octane up, soo...it keeps the engine from deteonating.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted