What makes an engine run???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

yardrat

I know this is a REALLY stupid question, but what is the answer. I figured I would post this in the section with the older cars that may not have the fancy electronics, or even fuel injection. If you were to set up a B18C5 on an engine stand, what would it take to get it to run? You would need an ignition switch, spark source/coil, battery, starter, complete wiring harness from the car, ecu from the car, Fuel pump with lines, and fuel, correct? Put the fuel pump inlet in a 5 gallon gas can, get power to the ecu for the fuel pump and coil, hit the starter and away we go, right? In theory you could swap this engine in to your riding mower if you really wanted to, right? I'm just proposing this question to do some research for a extreme swap a buddy of mine has dreamed up. Like I said before this is a REALLY stupid question, so please be gentle with the responses. Play nice children!!!! :spin:

air fuel and spark, and the systems that monitor them for a controlled reaction. :)

AHHHH, Yes, cooling!! I'm sorry, I come from an aircooled VW backround. This radiator/water pump concept is new to me! :D

well if you eliminate the FUEL INJECTION AND DELIVER FUEL VIA A CARBUERATOR then you could completely elimate the elctronics, beacuse at that point, youv'e turned the honda motor into an old school v-b as far as technology goes- I mean basically all that you need to make a motor run is fuel, airl, and spark- as long as you had power to the coil, had fuel going to the motor and had a fuel pump that ran off an external power source at a constant pressure you could def. tune some sort of carb to run the motor- I'm not saying it's 1,2,3 pop of the throttle body and slap on a carb- but with some tuning you could make it work-

You need compression, air, fuel, spark, and some means of getting it to turn over to start the cycles of suck, squish, bang, blow.

That's about it.

yeah well i figured that the compression was a given- i mean if the pistons aren't compressing the air and fuel, what the hell is the point of everything anyway- but you are right, compression is also a necessity for the internal combustion motor to run

Back