What Model is my 90 Civic Hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ddjmagic

What Model is my 90 Civic Hatch?

Hey

I have a 90 civic hatch when i brought it (couple years ago), i was told it was a 'Si' model.
But now after researching i'm not sure what model it really is.
It has

1.6 liter engine (block says D16A6)
4 speed transmission
Dual Point fuel Injection.
It has a Si badge at the back (but anyone could of put that on)

Could anyone tell me what model it really is?

thanks

sounds like it may be STD model - what is the VIN number?

D16A6 is the Si block, but Si models were MPFI and all had 5 speed transmission and factory sunroof

does it have a rear wiper?
does it have a console or just a boot?
does it have a factory tach?
does it have a red plastic panel between the tail lights or a plain black piece?

No rear wiper, No Tach, Plain Black piece between the tail lights.

Thanks for your help, one more question, is it ok to be running a D16A6 in a STD model?

Last edited:
the D16A6 is from 1988-1991 Civic Si/ CRX Si
although it should be multi-port PGM-FI

Great, Thanks.
Would it be possible to buy a 5 speed Si transmission and fit it on the STD model replacing the 4 speed? or would i be better sticking with what i have?

Great, Thanks.
Would it be possible to buy a 5 speed Si transmission and fit it on the STD model replacing the 4 speed? or would i be better sticking with what i have?
yes, you can swap a 5 speed transmission right into it - would be an excellecnt upgrade - bolts right in just like it was a 4-speed - uses your shift linkage and axles - just stay away from 88 transmissions because you would need to change the clutch disc to use them

First thing I'd do, get rid of the 4 speed and convert to MPFI.

Good luck... sounds like someone just pieced the car together in a hurry.

if your looking for power without a turbo, then go for the mpfi swap, its a little difficult but once you do it, you will be really happy..

Then if you want more you could put the ZC dome pistons in it and a Y8 headgasket with the middle layer removed it will put you close to 12:1 compression ratio and will yield much more power...

just a thought with the D16A6 that i had

And you'll gain a whopping 8 hp!!!

I'd bet they threw a rod in the old motor and got a si block form a junk yard.

Switching to a 5 speed would be a great thing, but adding mpfi is just a minor upgrade in reality.

not if you use the Z6 manifold its alot more than 8 hp...

but yes changing the tranny will help alot

and the 12:1 compression will raise it really high

Back