what motor to put in hf crx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

pretty much sold on the d15b vtec motor ,, just trying to get everything i need ,orderd at once, if you guys know what all i need for the swap than post it up

OBD0-OBD1 conversion harness, P08 or P28 ECU. You'll want to just use your HF harness and add the VTEC wires.

a z6 motor with a header, cai, some good port work and a full exhaust will be at least a 20-30 hp gain over the motor he has in the car now. that is what I meant. sorry.

IMO if you're having budget problems, and can only scrape together 8-9hundred for a motor, put a stock motor in it. $4/gal gas is in the very near future.

Any honda 1.6 liter motor does just fine on gas trust me. I own a f-ing hog of a civic a 98 4 door with a d16y8 and still get over 30 mpg. And it takes like $30 to fill my tank. He has a crx with any honda motor in there he will still get over 30 mpg unless honda decides to make a v8 in the near future. But I do somewhat agree if you have a smaller budget such as what he suggested if I were you I would stick with the z6 just buy the core, and obd-1 conversion harness and ecu. Just drop that motor in there with your tranny it is geared a bit longer but for gas purposes its still okay plus with the light ass rex you should be able to get through the gears just fine. I would throw a cai, header, and full exhaust on there you will still get decent gas mileage as long as you aren't peddle to the metal all day long.

i hear the d15b jdm motor is overrated... just my .02. I hear a dohc zc in a hf gets better city economy than stock, and is a blast to drive.

:werd:

DOHC ZC is only a tad better(stock vs. stock) than the other 1.6s...something like 5hp

<-gets ~57-60mpg hwy on a D15B VTEC and DOHC ZC transmission with the 4.25:1 Si final drive(cruising at about 70mph/4000rpms) in a 88 Civic hatchback.

I was just wondering how he figures a dual-cam ZC will get better gas mileage than a stock HF motor. Isn't that the point of the HF? Uber mileage?

i hear the d15b jdm motor is overrated... just my .02. I hear a dohc zc in a hf gets better city economy than stock, and is a blast to drive.

Are you being sarcastic? :huh:

I hope so, the 1.5 motors are better if you drive hard, they can take way more abuse than the 1.6 ever could with stock parts. A stock d15b will run 8000rpm (and more with better cam and springs) all day long. With a 1.6 you would throw a rod in no time. Get a d15b and gear it tall, use a zc dohc cable trans with the si 4.25 final gear and it would be quick as hell, especially in something as light as an HF, and I bet you could still get like 30mpg at the least. With some 13 inch tires on it, it would fucking rip.

Last edited:
I will back up what sIR-TECH said cause I threw a rod in my y7 at only 120,000 miles. Granted the motor was beat on with like 6500 rpm shifts but still, I did all the regular maintence to it before the rod was toast. My y8 has held up since then with a little less mileage on it but we will see what happens after this motor blows if it does I am buying a 1.5 liter block throwing my y8 head on it and redoing everything in the motor and calling it good. I'm tired of goin through motors so quick.

With a 1.6 you would throw a rod in no time. Get a d15b and gear it tall, use a zc dohc cable trans with the si 4.25 final gear and it would be quick as hell, especially in something as light as an HF, and I bet you could still get like 30mpg at the least. With some 13 inch tires on it, it would fucking rip.

It's mainly the D16Y's that are notorious for breaking rods and spinning bearings. This is due to the crappy oil system compared to the older 1.6's

Tall=numerically low, Short=numerically high ;)

Back