What motor to swap and boost????

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hondatuner88

I wanted to know...what do yous think what motor I should swap and lightly boost??? B16A2? B18? ls/vtec? b20? d16? H22? H23?? Im really lost on this one...I heard soooo many different things about all kinds of different motors....I was thinking about getting a B20 block and throw a GSR head on it and run an LS trans and lightly (no more than 10psi) boost it...Can anyone help me out here?? Any help would be great!!!

Thanks!! :worthy:

honestly, i would take the money you were gonna spend on a b swap and buy some nice forged internals for your d series.

run 16-18 psi and make your 300whp. itll be cheaper in the long run.

b series are awesome though, and you could turbo it and not have to screw with the insides

what are your goals that would determine what you should get.

jimbo ive nad both.

i had a 293 whp d series with forged internals. i raped it relentless for 15k miles with no probs on 18 psi. then i sold it in favor of a b series.

my gsr, WAS A STOCK BLOCK b18c1. i made 319.9 whp but it only lasted for 2 months and about 1700 miles. and keep in mind it was tuned excellent on 11-12 psi.

for the money, the reliablity and fun facotr is in the favor of the d series. not to mention d series make more tq.

i speak from experience. stock block b series is fun, but eventually you will pay, ans when you do, parts are not cheap.

keep that in mind. 300whp is 300whp no matter how you make it. and with the d series, itll be cheaper and more reliable.

end of discussion

I never seen a boosted D series motor tho...and also I dont think a trans can hold bout 300 hp...and also what kinda boost would be needed for #'s like that? And What size turbo? I got a D16Z6 block in my basement...I want it to be something fast...I just got an job in electrical soo $ really isnt an issue...Id like to get about 300-400hp outa some kind of honda motor...

Thanks!!!

why would you want a 400hp FWD car? FWD is my issue with it. Build the Z6 with boost, make ~300 on the ground and have fun.

I made a little more 250 hp on a mild LS-T. LS's are cheap and should be able to handle ~300 hp wthout too much work.

ls heads a mashed together poopie.

it actually takes a good amount of boost to get a ls motor to go 300whp. and by the time u get there, your taxing the stock lower end.

and btw. my d series was a y7/y8 mini me with a y8 trans

srp pistons
crower rods
venom intake mani
jg throttle body, ect ect.

this was my total sleeper. unfortunately it was stolen

hotrex%20d.jpg

DSCF1234.JPG

DSCF1230.JPG

my current monster

000_0582.jpg

000_0583.jpg

000_0581.jpg

000_0578.jpg

the crx that started it all, yrs and yrs ago, before uberdate and crome even existed. i ran it off ghettodyne 1.66 hahaha
wNjk0NDEzNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

wNzY4ODAxNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

as you can see, ive owend 3 boosted hondas, and have had god knows how many motors and turbo kits. also i install and fab kits on the side and also sell turbo manifodls if your interested in one...

( shameless plug)

yes Ls heads are trash...mine was lightly ported by me.. It took 11 lbs to make 253 hp with a 60/63 on my first LS-T.

I didn't get to the dyno with my last LS-T, I had a 60/48 and the wastegate didn't like to work. I ended up spiking that bitch to like 19#'s because of the crappy boost guage I had too. It was REALLY fast for a minute though.

oh and WTF is up with that dumptube?

Hotrex...a y8 trans...isnt that out of a 96+ dx or something?? Also..What size turbo would be ideal for about 15-17 psi on a built z6? who makes good exhaust manis? Intake maini? Should I stick with a z6 head?? And I heard of guys sticking with the stock cam because its way easyer to tune...Would I have to run a bigger fuel pump and something like dsm injectors? What cc would be the key?? Thanks a million for all your guys help...LET THE BUILD BEGIN!!!!!

Oh..And also... My block its going to get machined within a week or so...What would I do for the open deck? IM not sleeveing the motor...altho its the smart thing to do..but If im gonna do that...I would just pop for a dart block...I heard I can get alway with just something like a newformz block guard??

Thanks again!

Manual DSM injectors should be fine for ~300 hp.

good manifolds >
http://www.lovefabinc.com/index.php?page=s...ng&primary_id=3

You should defenitly get a walbro 255lph pump

I know you're trying to go aginast this but have the block sleeved and some put in some 9.5:1 pistons and some H beams...I've heard some good things about IBSpec's.

Make your own exhaust, 3" DP>3" test pipe>3" resonator>muffler

I'd use an EX/Si trans

i make manifolds, i have a post in the classifieds. the crappy dump tube on my teg was a temp thing.

i made that shorty manifold though.

a 57 trim t3/t4 would be ideal for a built z6.

i cant wait till i got a boosted d

and hotrex didnt you take everything off the teg?

a 57 trim t3/t4...is that a desently sized turbo?? How much boost is it able to produce on adverage? Also what size turbine housing is ideal? 0.48 A/R or 0.63 A/R? And also should I run a internal wastegate or an 38 mm? or 35mm external one?? And hows a 24x9x3 front mount all add up to? Also with a 3 inch turbo back thermal exhaust...let me hear some input!!!

the teg has since been turned back to stock and i have a fully built b16a being put in in about 1 week. i have atained my goal of putting a 400whp cabable setup together for 1500 dollars or less, including the turbo kit and motor.

57 trim .63 ar exhaust is perfect. get a jrc 6 inch intercooler. no need ofr somethign bigger.

i just got a bar and plate core so if u wanna go cheap, i can make you a cooler, and ill even polish it to a mirror shine.

38mm wastegate, and save some cash by going with a k teller 3 inch exhaust system

well i want to boost my ci now how many lbs u think i could run safely on a stock gsr but i will get it tuned of course

Back