What next?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

97CTR

I just finished my swap last week and I love it. I have been thinking about what next to do but I am torn in lots of directions. I have a b16b with AEM v2 intake, jun header, lightweight flywheel, cm clutch, high flow cat, tanabe srm, tokico illumina r coilovers, 15 in rota's.

I like to drag but I really like autox. Any ideas with what I should do next. I was thinking some spray just for some fun once in a while. with the ctr compression would a 50 shot be a good idea for occassional use. later

I would NOT spray with that engine. First off, b16b = lots of money + high compression. Nitrous is better with low compression engines because there is more room for error. With the b16b, if your tuning is off just a tad, BOOOOOM.

I think what B is asking, are you running and engine management? Hondata, AEM EMS, feilds, ect are all good systems. You have basicly all the bolt ons, I would now get that thing tuned.

What about upgrading cams. The CTRS are great but toda spec B's are better. You have a decent start so far.

Since your into autoX, I would highly suggest you upgrade/get a rear sway bar. The only five that are really any good for autoX is progressive, OEM ITR, Mugen, suspension technique (the bigger one that comes with a tie bar) and Comptech. The progress, OEM ITR, comptech and maybe the Suspension technique :unsure: are all the same size (22) unless you go with the JDM 98 spec ITR bar which is 23mm. The Mugen is 26

hmmm...little larger TB, upgraded cams with valvetrain. Well, i know you just completed your swap but I would recommend going 1.8. Since you want to autoX more then I would work on the suspension setup for sure, maybe a rear brake conversion, possibly a dual core radiator. You should also consider some other type of engine management to get the most potential out of your B.

Milan

I am using the ctr ecu PCT. I am getting a new radiator and oil cooler. Is the skunk2 intake manifold any real gain over the ctr? I know that I need to tune but I don't want to spend a grand on something like the aem unit. How about a vafc or something along those lines

doesn't having 113 mph speed cut kill you? thats the shitter about jdm ecus :(

a vafc would do you great now that you have some mods. hop on over to a dyno after you get it and TUNE IT. you'll probably pick up 5 peak hp, and 15-20 in the midrange.

I'd HIGHLY suggest a hondata system. but if its out of your price range, the vafc will do. the big advantage to the hondata is that it not only controls fuel cruves and vtec, it also control ignition timing. you will see an even larger gain with the hondata tuned.

hey milan why do you say go with a 1.8 when I see your engines are 1.6's, not happy with them?

I don't mind spending a couple bucks for the hondata, is that the equivalent to the aem. I was able to buy the bolt ons because I got the whole swap for 2600 imported from japan, shipping sucks though.

Originally posted by 97CTR@Jul 29 2003, 09:13 AM
I don't mind spending a couple bucks for the hondata, is that the equivalent to the aem.

in my opinion the hondata is beter than an AEM for a street car.
after that, i'd jump to a fast/speed pro or a motec, skipping aem all together.

Originally posted by 97CTR@Jul 29 2003, 09:13 AM
because I got the whole swap for 2600 imported from japan, shipping sucks though.

From Where? I would rock a CTR for 2600. 9000 RPMS are always fun to play with.

If it is through a "hookup" mind finding another for me?

Originally posted by 97CTR@Jul 29 2003, 04:55 AM
Is the skunk2 intake manifold any real gain over the ctr?

no, keep your manifold. the skunk2 is almost an exact copy of the type-r.

yeah my 1.6's did fine but if I was running a 1.8 it would be much better. You would gain a little more hp ontop of your current list of parts and a lot more tq which is very nice.

when running NA displacement rules the spot.

Milan

Back