What oil filter and oil do you guys recommend ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Mobil1 downgraded their full synthetics a few years ago.

I use Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic now. No more Mobil1. K&N filters or Mobil1 filters.

thats what it was, synchromax. Im using it now, just under 1k miles and I know I dont like it. Im gonna go back to GM/honda MTF.

Im gonna need a tranny rebuild soon, I want carbon lined synchros :(

Most people would notice that most oil foams up at higher RPM and that causes it to be less efficient on the lubrication side. royal purple dosent foam up as bad. Also why wouldnt you want a higher quality oil on a engine that hits 5-8k every day?

I am not saying I don't want a higher quality oil. I am saying that I don't see what is so special that I would pay an extra 2-3 dollars for a quart of oil over any of the other major brands. Almost every major oil company has anti-foaming agents in their oil especially if you use a synthetic. I have yet to see anything posted to show me what is so special about this oil that is going to make me spend extra cash to acheive the same result.

I've always used penzoil 5w30 in my Hondas with a basic fram filter. This included my old boosted hatch. Basically comes down to me being cheap b/c I change it every 3k. Now my Maxima has only seen Mobile1 it's entire 102k life. Last week I broke the streak and threw some castrol syntec in there because it was on sale.

honestly, oil has always been oil to me. a friend of mine has 50k on a turbo'd stock GSR @360whp and has had no problems whatsoever. he changes the oil every 3k miles of course, and has always used castrol gtx, which is nothing special. so i run it in my civic.

also, @magana, honda recommends 10w30(i think?) for their engines that turn 5-8k all day. what difference would it make RP or not? if they really thought it was a concern to have a certain oil, they would specify.

In all honesty Royal Purple doesn't do dick. If you are that concerned about 'quality'...why aren't you running Eneos Oil? The people that rep it so hard just think that because they are paying top dollar for oil...it must be the best.

Nutshell; oil is oil (to a point).

In all honesty Royal Purple doesn't do dick. If you are that concerned about 'quality'...why aren't you running Eneos Oil? The people that rep it so hard just think that because they are paying top dollar for oil...it must be the best.

Nutshell; oil is oil (to a point).

oil is oil and gas is gas right?? detergent vs non detergent right? all the same stuff? mineral vs synthetic? I dont see why we ever upgraded to synthetic we should all run the cheapest shit on the rack right? :rolleyes:

oil is oil and gas is gas right?? detergent vs non detergent right? all the same stuff? mineral vs synthetic? I dont see why we ever upgraded to synthetic we should all run the cheapest shit on the rack right? :rolleyes:

No way dude, I bet your seeing some HUGE powerband differences on Synthetic as opposed to Mineral.

You're pathetic, do you even know why the 'switch' was made to Synthetics? :eek:

Only the best for your high horse power build.

damn---- i cant believe there is so much debate on oil and filters.....though we seem to have lost the filter in the debate :) so heres my 2-cents...i use castrol brand oil in my engines and change it every 3000 miles like i'm supposed to. more often on my mustang 5.0 thats boosted with nitrous. after every 10 pound bottle on that car. when it comes to synthetics i use mobil-1 or castrol...depending on what the customers want. as for filters i use the basic orange FRAM or the black BOSCH filter. a mobil-1 filter if its on sale that day. i love KN air filters but i aint paying for a high priced oil filter for 3000 miles use. i use the basic frams or bosch filters because they look cool on my engines and theyre priced okay for me. now as for oils, i'm a AMSOIL distributor but i havent sold a single drop. they just sent me the crap and said i was now an AMSOIL dealer. i called them but talked to some crazy soundin guy ad didnt find out why or how i got to become a dealer. i grew up on castrol so i use castrol in my rides. plus castrol sends me banners, hats, key chains, and stickers for free.

damn---- i cant believe there is so much debate on oil and filters.....though we seem to have lost the filter in the debate :) so heres my 2-cents...i use castrol brand oil in my engines and change it every 3000 miles like i'm supposed to. More often on my mustang 5.0 thats boosted with nitrous. After every 10 pound bottle on that car. When it comes to synthetics i use mobil-1 or castrol...depending on what the customers want. As for filters i use the basic orange fram or the black bosch filter. A mobil-1 filter if its on sale that day. I love kn air filters but i aint paying for a high priced oil filter for 3000 miles use. I use the basic frams or bosch filters because they look cool on my engines and theyre priced okay for me. Now as for oils, i'm a amsoil distributor but i havent sold a single drop. They just sent me the crap and said i was now an amsoil dealer. I called them but talked to some crazy soundin guy ad didnt find out why or how i got to become a dealer. I grew up on castrol so i use castrol in my rides. Plus castrol sends me banners, hats, key chains, and stickers for free.
you must remember that some of us are young punks....and know it all and have something to prove......... Ofcourse all of this is just imo. Just like oil.....lol

hell---- youre only a year younger than me. you make feel like an antique. youll be my age on your next birthday.

Yeah mext month.....17th. But never the less what i say is true. Good ol' online experts........ Dam kids....lol

No way dude, I bet your seeing some HUGE powerband differences on Synthetic as opposed to Mineral.

You're pathetic, do you even know why the 'switch' was made to Synthetics? :eek:

Only the best for your high horse power build.

no your a idiot, im not saying its going to make 300hp on just oil, I dont even think it will make 1more whp. the point is Its a better lubcant, I could care less about the claims that it makes power.

Please do tell me why all major car companys made the "switch" to synthetics.

no its not only the best for my high horsepower build jackass. Its the brand i use and trust. my engine only makes 150whp and Ill still use RP untill it dies.

no your a idiot, im not saying its going to make 300hp on just oil, I dont even think it will make 1more whp. the point is Its a better lubcant, I could care less about the claims that it makes power.

Please do tell me why all major car companys made the "switch" to synthetics.

no its not only the best for my high horsepower build jackass. Its the brand i use and trust. my engine only makes 150whp and Ill still use RP untill it dies.
as to synthetics and RP i have info for you that you may want to hear since others may think they know but in truth, dont really know. synthetics eliminate the natural imperfections found in natural resources like crude oil...which our lubricants are made from. synthetics are engineered (man made) in a lab and elliminate the imperfections found natural resources. RP can make up to 6 wheel horsepower that i have seen. a camero iroc serries though i cant remamber the year. that car was tested before and after on a chassis dyno to see if RP would make more horsepower. it did and it got a little better gas mileage too. as to why the switch was made by auto manufacturers, my GUESS would be, because auto manufacturers are required to strive to produce vehicles that get better fuel mileage to reduce the use of fosil fuels. synthetics such as RP help acheive this. and they offer better engine protection

as to synthetics and RP i have info for you that you may want to hear since others may think they know but in truth, dont really know. synthetics eliminate the natural imperfections found in natural resources like crude oil...which our lubricants are made from. synthetics are engineered (man made) in a lab and elliminate the imperfections found natural resources. RP can make up to 6 wheel horsepower that i have seen. a camero iroc serries though i cant remamber the year. that car was tested before and after on a chassis dyno to see if RP would make more horsepower. it did and it got a little better gas mileage too. as to why the switch was made by auto manufacturers, my GUESS would be, because auto manufacturers are required to strive to produce vehicles that get better fuel mileage to reduce the use of fosil fuels. synthetics such as RP help acheive this. and they offer better engine protection

I still have not seen any info on here that justifies the switch to a synthetic that is 2-3 dollars a quart higher than any other synthetic for my DD vehicle. You are talking 8 dollars more an oil change minimum.

i still have not seen any info on here that justifies the switch to a synthetic that is 2-3 dollars a quart higher than any other synthetic for my dd vehicle. You are talking 8 dollars more an oil change minimum.

if its just a dd than the cost may not justify the means.....but if you have 10,000 in your engine......... Well, you know.

i have a decent chunk of change into my engine, and i run castrol. to me, oil is oil. may switch to some form of synthetic at some point but if I do, it wont be royal purple. wayyyy to overpriced IMO, especially when my car doesnt have a catch can yet and is still using some :D

I still have not seen any info on here that justifies the switch to a synthetic that is 2-3 dollars a quart higher than any other synthetic for my DD vehicle. You are talking 8 dollars more an oil change minimum.
the 2-3 dollar rise in cost for synthetics is regular as in any product you buy. theres extra engineering to inspect and test synthetic regularly durring manufacturing. this may occur 5 to 10 or more different times at different stages of manufacturing for each bach they manufacturer....that equals labor cost. then theres the cost of powering equipment to test synthetics durring manufacturing...computers, microscopes etc. this is electric power the plant has to pay for in their monthly utilites....equalls production costs. then theres the sales campaigns to convince us, the consumers to buy this stuff for more money...this equalls marketing costs. then theres the retail markup which is usually 60-100 percent depending on the product and where it came from. imported goods usually have the highest markup at 100 percent, while usa made goods only see a 60 percent markup on average. regardless, we still pay for the markup in that 2-3 dollars more per quart. doesnt sound so bad now does it? and think about those jobs we supprot which helps the economy both global and our own

i have a decent chunk of change into my engine, and i run castrol. to me, oil is oil. may switch to some form of synthetic at some point but if I do, it wont be royal purple. wayyyy to overpriced IMO, especially when my car doesnt have a catch can yet and is still using some :D
i agree with you on this. see my avitar pic....i run regular oil in that 5.0 engine for my mustang (castrol 10w-30) i change it after every 10 lb bottle of nitrous, or every two months...whichever comes first. usually its the nitrous. i do it so often because i am anal about protecting my engines...i would have an oil annalizer kit with microscopes if i knew of a kit i could buy and if i had the chemistry knowledge to further test the chemical compounds in the oil....but i havent found a kit yet. in my hondas i run the same, castrol 10w-30 but i only change the oil in those every 3000 or 3 months.

Back