What oil filter and oil do you guys recommend ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

the 2-3 dollar rise in cost for synthetics is regular as in any product you buy. theres extra engineering to inspect and test synthetic regularly durring manufacturing. this may occur 5 to 10 or more different times at different stages of manufacturing for each bach they manufacturer....that equals labor cost. then theres the cost of powering equipment to test synthetics durring manufacturing...computers, microscopes etc. this is electric power the plant has to pay for in their monthly utilites....equalls production costs. then theres the sales campaigns to convince us, the consumers to buy this stuff for more money...this equalls marketing costs. then theres the retail markup which is usually 60-100 percent depending on the product and where it came from. imported goods usually have the highest markup at 100 percent, while usa made goods only see a 60 percent markup on average. regardless, we still pay for the markup in that 2-3 dollars more per quart. doesnt sound so bad now does it? and think about those jobs we supprot which helps the economy both global and our own

You're joking right? Do you think that I am some uneducated sheep?

What I am talking about is the 2-3 dollars RP costs more than other synthetics on the market. I was paying 6.xx a quart for mobile 1 when I was running it in my civic. I can't find RP for cheaper than 8.99 a qt in my area based on a quick net search. I understand retail mark-up and I understand that Synthetic costs more than conventional oil. What I don't know/understand is why people are shelling out 8-9.00 for RP which is 2-3 dollars more than other synthetics.

Also I am buying oil regardless so the economy is not effected by which brand I choose.

You're joking right? Do you think that I am some uneducated sheep?

What I am talking about is the 2-3 dollars RP costs more than other synthetics on the market. I was paying 6.xx a quart for mobile 1 when I was running it in my civic. I can't find RP for cheaper than 8.99 a qt in my area based on a quick net search. I understand retail mark-up and I understand that Synthetic costs more than conventional oil. What I don't know/understand is why people are shelling out 8-9.00 for RP which is 2-3 dollars more than other synthetics.

Also I am buying oil regardless so the economy is not effected by which brand I choose.
youre also paying for the distributor pricing. mobil one and royal purple use different distributors and each distributor sets their own pricing....this is part of the retail mark-up cost. which is why mobil one can be found slightly cheaper at wall mart verses autozone and as to royal purple they use a completely different group of distributors. they also employ lots of sales reps to promote their product to retailers. these reps are outside sales reps. and you do affect the economy in a postive way when you buy synthetic oils. wether you realize it or not you are part of a group of consumers who buy synthetic oils. without you in your group your group becomes smaller and decreases the demand for synthetics which effects supply and demand which raises retail prices for synthetics. if you werent a synthetic user you would be a conventional oil user and you would have an effect on that market as well

The best oil? Agip. If its good enough for Ferraris, its damn good enough for Hondas.
where can i get this Agip oil? any ferrari dealer? i wanna get some and talk to some chemical engineers in my relm of friends. maybe see if we can do our own tests and see what i think of Agip

I use royal purple 5w30 with k&n filters.
x2 But Ive been looking into AMSOIL for a while now. Both for the Civic and DEFINETLY for the Gixxer. I was going to buy it for the last oil change on the bike but had'nt found a local distributor until a couple weeks later. :mad:

where can i get this Agip oil? any ferrari dealer? i wanna get some and talk to some chemical engineers in my relm of friends. maybe see if we can do our own tests and see what i think of Agip
we have a few chemical enginers here at my company.......we sell so dot 5 brake fluid to some gov. agencies........ and sell some material to some big oil companies too........

we have a few chemical enginers here at my company.......we sell so dot 5 brake fluid to some gov. agencies........ and sell some material to some big oil companies too........
what kinda work do you do? dont worry if you cant tel me. i live less than 3 miles from the runway at pamdales plant 42 in cali. its home to lockheed martin skunkworks division, boeing, and nortrup grummen. lots of people here who work there cant talk about their work because they work on military aircraft including the latest X22. when the dam B-2 flies it cuts a path right over my house so low i can read the small numbers on the its bottom. i dont know what the numbers are for though. i only mention this because you said your company has military contracts.

My .02
I use carquest blue filters and carquest synthetic 5/30 in my crx and my mitpu. I have no complaints about either product in any vehicle that I own. I am planning on going back to syntec or maybe trying penzoil platinum after I rebuild and boost my engine. Why would I pay more for the name brand later? because of a little extra peace of mind with that much money being put into a motor.

what kinda work do you do? dont worry if you cant tel me. i live less than 3 miles from the runway at pamdales plant 42 in cali. its home to lockheed martin skunkworks division, boeing, and nortrup grummen. lots of people here who work there cant talk about their work because they work on military aircraft including the latest X22. when the dam B-2 flies it cuts a path right over my house so low i can read the small numbers on the its bottom. i dont know what the numbers are for though. i only mention this because you said your company has military contracts.

We have one of those guys on the board.

what board do you have one of those guys on? the honda swap forum board? you know its crazy how these aerospace sompanies require their employees not to talk about their work. one of my buddies dad is one of the guys who worked on designing the F-117A. aka: the stealth fighter. i didnt know that till like 2005 when that knowledge came out on tv. and i used to hang out with his dad back when i was racin mountain bikes, but i never knew what he did for work

HS board. I forgot what company it is(in Texas) but it's a big company that does a lot of military work, weapons I believe. My engineering instructor also helped design weapons(forgot what company also, but she's head of the department at school); guidance system for bombs and missiles.

It's not really limited to military/government though, I know a lot of car companies do this and when I worked at Caterpillar, even though I wasn't in engineering, I had to sign a disclaimer. They also had an area where do would do testing/research and reverse engineer other company's products in this little blocked off area.

Last edited:
i use Kendal full syn. and any high end filter. mobil one, purolater pure on or k&n. stay away from fram. those things are shit

full syn. hold up alot better under heat. hondas benefit from this especially because we all can rev out to 8-9 grand. IMO there is no substitute for good oil. if you treat you car well it will return the favour. dont cheap out

HS board. I forgot what company it is(in Texas) but it's a big company that does a lot of military work, weapons I believe. My engineering instructor also helped design weapons(forgot what company also, but she's head of the department at school); guidance system for bombs and missiles.

It's not really limited to military/government though, I know a lot of car companies do this and when I worked at Caterpillar, even though I wasn't in engineering, I had to sign a disclaimer. They also had an area where do would do testing/research and reverse engineer other company's products in this little blocked off area.
i know what you mean about government stuff. and the disclaimers. so you worked at catipillar? i also do consultant work for CARB regarding diesel emission technoligy here in cali. the off road equipment is becoming an issue as far as the emissions are concerned. and as to the disclaimer signing, i have had to do that too fror some of the companies i did work for like farmer jonh, donaldson, cummins, mercedes, castrol, cleaire, and other companies. i go to some of the plants and look at diesel emissions equipment or test diesel emissions on trucks. i see alot of cool shit and play with some of the eqipment but i never understand why i have to sign disclaimers. its not lke i'm going to go tell some other people how they treat their trucks and equipment

i use castrol 5-20 and wix filter in the del sol (official filter of nascar) lol
and castrol syntec 5-20 in the forte and a kia filter so the engine light wont come on (aftermarket filters affect the oil pressure and wont allow the cvvt to change fast enough)

F-22. The contract has been canceled by the way. Production is ending sometime next year.

There's more than one. :)

-----

By the way- I just checked my maintenance log, and the xB is currently running on Mobil1 synthetic 5w30. I think I had an extra jug in the garage so I just used it. It's been in there for a WHILE, and it's still nice and clean with no burnoff.

F-22. The contract has been canceled by the way. Production is ending sometime next year.

There's more than one. :)

-----

By the way- I just checked my maintenance log, and the xB is currently running on Mobil1 synthetic 5w30. I think I had an extra jug in the garage so I just used it. It's been in there for a WHILE, and it's still nice and clean with no burnoff.
i didnt know production is atopping next year. people i know that work there dont tell me that and i dont pay attention to the news about what they do there year to year. i know they will be doing something there for tears to come. but they fly shit all night and day there. i hear alot more sonic booms lately than normal. i see planes next to some of the larger hangers that have a few MPs garding them but i dont know what they are but they dont look like the f22 from my very ameture airplane eye. i'm guessin its a revised version of the f22 or its one of the X planes theyre fling there. they seem to have X everything lately...like up to X35 i think

Back