What Pistol to buy

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I went through the same thing a few months ago, thought my collection needed another semi auto. hope you the best in your research.

I took 6 months to decide what I really wanted/needed. I ended up with an M&P45... and haven't looked back since.

I went through the same thing a few months ago, thought my collection needed another semi auto. hope you the best in your research.

I took 6 months to decide what I really wanted/needed. I ended up with an M&P45... and haven't looked back since.

M&P is a nice piece. i've only shot it in 9mm though.

2 friends have the M&P 9mm and .40S&W... nice guns
still like my XD better though :)

grip is a bit wider than most of the 1911s ive handled/shot... (i prefer handguns with a wider grip... one of the reasons i like the double stacked Para-Ordinance 1911s)... but as far as grip angle and such, yes its similar to a 1911...
very comfortable gun to hold and shoot
and with the proper holster definitely comfortable to carry (ive had it on my hip for just about 48 straight hours in a CTAC holster and barely noticed it)

of course as with everything , YMMV

Last edited:
Thanks for the info man. I have been thinking about picking up one of the full size XD's for awhile. I bought a compact Glock 30 but would like a full size pistol for running through the woods and such.

i highly recommend it :thumbsup:

OMG the Cromwell Police just sent me a letter stating they needed a copy of my birth certificate (which I had already HAND DELIVERED TO THEM). I submitted my App over two weeks ago and they are just getting to it now...JFC...two weeks down the drain of waiting, i prolly won;t see my permit until July so fucking gay...RANT RANT RANT RANT:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

in minnesota, if they take longer than 30 days to process the permit it's free, by law. can you prove that you gave them a copy of your bc?

i got mine 13 days after i submitted it :)

in minnesota, if they take longer than 30 days to process the permit it's free, by law. can you prove that you gave them a copy of your bc?
I mean, not really, other then the copies i made for myself...I walked in all my paperwork, and i mde copies for myself...its gonnabe long time befor ei see a permit

they should not have accepted an incomplete application for permit; they're required to check it for completeness. that would indicate to me that they lost something = it's their issue = you should get your money back. oh well, yer fukt ;).

it can takes 6 months to get your application cleared in NY
most of that time its sitting on a county judges bench waiting till he has enough to bother with them

Shitty deal man. Im sorry to hear that.

Honest to God, I received my permit same day. I was in the process of buying my Glock I went and got my finger prints came back to the window asked the gal at the desk how long it would take to get my permit and she handed it to me. She also called the gun shop that I was buying my pistol from and told them to be expecting me.

Honest to God, I received my permit same day. I was in the process of buying my Glock I went and got my finger prints came back to the window asked the gal at the desk how long it would take to get my permit and she handed it to me. She also called the gun shop that I was buying my pistol from and told them to be expecting me.

You mean in WA you aren't given a gun permit when you turn 16? I thought they mailed it out with your drivers' license. :D

As a Bostonian I would never be allowed a permit to carry within the city unless I routed my request chit through god himself or Ted Kennedy. Not believing in god that leaves me with Ted and I don't travel in those circles.

I wonder why are you carrying a weapon anyway? Self defense?

Carrying a weapon for combat and carrying one for the street are two different things. A .45 is definately my choice if I need to stop somebody or if i need maximum effectiveness from each round. In a self defense situtation I would likely go with a double action 9mm. Double action is taken for granted nowadays. You really don't wanna have to carry a weapon at half cock or cock the hammer in a split second situation...

I would imagine a self defense situation to be close in and very fast. A 9mm is easier to conceal and likely easier to draw and fire. I can get a service M9 from hip to hurt in a blink of an eye, but I'm military and I train to do this. 9mm is also more controlable. I would like to have as much control over a weapon in close quarters as I can.

As for stopping power I will say this: If you hit somebody close in with a 9mm and they do not fall you have other problems. If you give them the whole magazine and they do not fall you have other problems. You need to withdraw at maximum speed and let SWAT team handle them with assault rifles.

If you are at range you probably don't need to get involved. There is no need to draw a weapon and engage in a situation unless your chest says US Army and you are patroling the streets of Iraq. First you need to call the police. Second, you stand a real chance of being shot by the police when they show up and assume you are one of the trouble makers.

Lastly there is overpenetration, as mentioned before. You want to hit what you are shooting at and nothing else. Maybe it was E i forget who it was that said it but exotic rounds will make you look like a maniac in court. Second you don't want to shoot through your target, the wall, and the bus full of orphans on the other side.

Oh and as E said in the get go, go to the range and decide what you want to shoot first.

In the case of Zombies just aim for the brain. Caliber really doesn't make much difference as long as you can destroy the brain... :D

Just my two cents, I'll be quiet now.

LOL wow good shit...most states would not be that easy to get a pistol permit....

As a Bostonian I would never be allowed a permit to carry within the city unless I routed my request chit through god himself or Ted Kennedy. Not believing in god that leaves me with Ted and I don't travel in those circles.

I wonder why are you carrying a weapon anyway? Self defense?

Carrying a weapon for combat and carrying one for the street are two different things. A .45 is definately my choice if I need to stop somebody or if i need maximum effectiveness from each round. In a self defense situtation I would likely go with a double action 9mm. Double action is taken for granted nowadays. You really don't wanna have to carry a weapon at half cock or cock the hammer in a split second situation...

I would imagine a self defense situation to be close in and very fast. A 9mm is easier to conceal and likely easier to draw and fire. I can get a service M9 from hip to hurt in a blink of an eye, but I'm military and I train to do this. 9mm is also more controlable. I would like to have as much control over a weapon in close quarters as I can.

As for stopping power I will say this: If you hit somebody close in with a 9mm and they do not fall you have other problems. If you give them the whole magazine and they do not fall you have other problems. You need to withdraw at maximum speed and let SWAT team handle them with assault rifles.

If you are at range you probably don't need to get involved. There is no need to draw a weapon and engage in a situation unless your chest says US Army and you are patroling the streets of Iraq. First you need to call the police. Second, you stand a real chance of being shot by the police when they show up and assume you are one of the trouble makers.

Lastly there is overpenetration, as mentioned before. You want to hit what you are shooting at and nothing else. Maybe it was E i forget who it was that said it but exotic rounds will make you look like a maniac in court. Second you don't want to shoot through your target, the wall, and the bus full of orphans on the other side.

Oh and as E said in the get go, go to the range and decide what you want to shoot first.

In the case of Zombies just aim for the brain. Caliber really doesn't make much difference as long as you can destroy the brain... :D

Just my two cents, I'll be quiet now.

Are you ok?

Back