what pistons should i run in a ls vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ls v-tec eg

just got done putting teg ls motor in eg hatch with gsr head.. whats a good piston to go with? an anybody know wat a ls vtec eg should run in the quater mile???

Well, what do you want to do to do with the rest of the motor? Piston selection is just as important as the rest of your parts. Turbo? All motor? What cams? Displacement? Pump gas?

if your going all motor i have a setup for you.
my old ls vtec had ctr pistons, itr cams, stainless steel valvetrain by manley and arp bolts/studs throughout. used the stock ls rods shotpeened. on p28 chipped it made A LOT of power. although i shifted at 9k (very bad idea) it still made power up there. due to the rod stroke, your not supposed to shift it above 8k or else you will spin a rod bearing and put a perdy hole in your block =) good luck.

your not supposed to shift it above 8k or else you will spin a rod bearing and put a perdy hole in your block
thats what the arp rod bolts prevent...

the R/S ratio and 8k+ rpm will make the cylinder walls slightly oval over time.

the rod bearings are the weak point of ls/vtec. having arp rod bolts dont guarantee anything. spinning the motor that high with high lift cams and 12.5:1 compression (via ctr pistons) + 9k = BOOM after a shot period of time. my setup had arp and took a dump on me in 1st gear at 9k. spun a bearing and put a hole in the block. as for the rod stroke and the oval cylinder walls, that is also true. because of the r/s when the piston is coming up, it comes up on a negative angle. meaning not straight up. which does cause more pressure to the cylinder walls.

i want a daily driver with some balls. i dont want to have to worry bout nothing breaking but looking to run 13's... anyone gotta go set up for that ... it gotta hold up thoughi aint got money to be fixing to much stuff

you're talking about running 13's... but you don't want to break anything. i should let you know now. breaking things is inevitable. it will always happen sooner or later. so before you begin funing your project, always put some cushion cash aside just in case.

if you want to do a turbo ls vtec, i'd go with some CP 9.5:1 pistons, and eagle rods. the rods will come with ARP rod bolts, and you might invest in ARP main bolts as well as head studs (great idea for turbo setups)

going 13s is going to be much easier and more practical with boost than on all motor (unless you like nitrous which i don't but everyone has their own cup of tea).

yes, rod bearings are a weak point of LS motors. But throw new bearings in it (ACL / Clevite 77) and you should be just fine.

spinning the motor that high with high lift cams and 12.5:1 compression (via ctr pistons) + 9k = BOOM after a shot period of time.

A gsr girdle or =, would've helped.

Back