1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What REALLY is my compression ratio?

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by GSRCIVICTN, Mar 28, 2007.

1. GSRCIVICTN

GSRCIVICTN Lost in a sea of rednecks

I just got my new pistons in the mail today. They are SRP (PN 149237) and they are supposed to have a 9.5:1 compression ratio. They are .50mm overbore. I called SRP just to make sure I got the right ones and I asked them what the cc's were supposed to be. They told me -8.4cc's. That seemed like too much of a dish, so I entered all of the info in the Zealautowerks.com compression calculator only to find that I would have closer to 8.85:1 compression. The engine is a B18c(JDM), basically a GSR. So I want to know who is right. Anybody know for sure??

2. jlicrx

jlicrx Senior Member

i also get slightly under 8.85:1

3. GSRCIVICTN

I put that the head had been milled .002" and I get 8.85:1. Still, even with a little help from me, that doesn't put it anywhere close to the claimed 9.5:1. Anybody know if the Zealwerks calculator is accurate? I thought it was.:huh:

4. GSRCRXsi

GSRCRXsi Super Moderator Moderator VIP

whats the compression height of the pistons? what size? 81.50mm? what head?

zeal is fairly accurate.

5. GSRCIVICTN

I called SRP and talked to their technical dept. The guy at SRP came up with 9.5:1 when he did his calculation. We walked through every measurement and then it was figured out. We had different deck height measurements. When I asked him where he got his measurement from he said that it was assumed that a used block would have a shorter deck height and that it was also assumed that I would have to deck my block. In the past I have always cleaned the deck and checked it with a straight edge, but I have never had to have one decked.

Why would they assume all of this and not advertise it? I'm not 100% sure what to do now. 8.85:1 seems a little too low. I don't plan on running 25 lbs. of boost or anything high like that.

6. MikeBergy

MikeBergy Blah blah blah....

7. GSRCIVICTN

Yeah, I know. They told me that information was wrong. They said 9.5:1 and that the dish was -8.4cc. The messed up thing is that they claim it's 9.5:1 with that much of a dish. They want me to shave 0.035" off the top of my block. Seems excessive.

8. dbone_vtec

dbone_vtec HONDA 4 LIFE

More Boost

More Boost Would Be Allowed With Lower Commpression Pistons

Does'nt Seem Too Bad

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted