What should I do with the B18C1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

96coupeb18

Hey guys here is my deal, I have a 95 Integra GSR, that has check this out 424,000 miles on it, BUT take this in to acct, the car still runs super strong and does not smoke nor leak, the owner that had it before me said within 1 year ago he replaced the head with a new one, and when he did that he had a valve job done etc. etc. He also had the head (new one) resurfaced. But the block he said that he put in new main bearing and rod bearings, as well as piston rings, I asked about the pistons and rods and he said they were in great condition for a motor with 424,000 actual miles and were not warped or weak. So my ??? is does that sound right, because what I want to do is possibly take the B18C1 Head get a port and polished, stainless valves , titanuium springs and retainers and put it on a B18B1 block that I would go ahead and put aftermarket forged rods and pistons IN. I am wanting to run at least 10-12 psi boost with a T3/T4 , I know you can run about 6-8 psi stock, so should I do the LS/VTEC Conversion or should I keep what I got?? and just boost it with 6-8 psi thanks for any input

424K miles?? that is alot of wear and tear. I dont think i would trust it enough to boost it like that. I would tear it back down, 9:1 pistons, forged rods, new rings/seals. Also i would have the block resurfaced to make sure it is not warped, and go from there. You could even bore it over (?) whatever you want.

So you dont think the LS Block buildup would be better, since it has just as much torque stock as a GSR Block. and use the GSR Head, so I can have the benefit of both bottom end and top end, because I can get a B18B1 long block for $200 and I guess build it instead since the other block has so many miles on it??? What ya think???

Hey guys will a B18C1 Head work good for a LS/VTEC Conversion on a B18B1 block. Since the VTEC Stuff is already there in my 95 Teg GSR, is there anything else I have to do, to just swap block and put the built LS BLOCK I plan on doing in that car??? any help is appreciated thanks

Originally posted by 96coupeb18@Sep 25 2003, 03:59 PM
Hey guys will a B18C1 Head work good for a LS/VTEC Conversion on a B18B1 block. Since the VTEC Stuff is already there in my 95 Teg GSR, is there anything else I have to do, to just swap block and put the built LS BLOCK I plan on doing in that car??? any help is appreciated thanks

Don't waste the time or money swapping a GSR block or a LS block, there is no reason to.

For a turbo application, I would actually rebuild your GSR bottom end. The GSR blocks have piston oil squirters installed stock which would help with cooling in a turbo setup. You could drill, tap, and install the squirters in an LS block, but it's extra labor.

I would pull the engine and completely disassemble it. Get the block and the crank thermally cleaned. Put a good blockguard in then get it honed, as the installing the blockguard will effect the tops of the bores. Check the crank and make sure it doesn't need to be ground and polished; a crank with that many miles on it could definitly have some significant wear. Install the crank with a new set of bearings and check the oil clearances on the mains and the rods. Drop in a new set of forged rods/pistons, and you've got a solid, reliable turbo GSR bottom end.

As far as the head goes, I would pull it apart and check everything. If it was replaced in the last year, more than likely it's fine and you can just install your new components.

For the LS block question, I would just stick with the GSR block. There's a very minimal displacement difference between the two, and the piston oil squirters and main stud girdle in the GSR block are worth it in my opinion :)

i would not recommend a block guard. if you're serious about boost resleeve it.

Originally posted by JDMilan@Sep 25 2003, 06:22 PM
:tpp:

Fe, fi, fo, fum, I smell the blood of a postwhoreman. :p

I cant seem to find RS Machines site what is the URL , and is Import Builders or RS Machines the better way to go for block assembly and Sleeving?? thanks

Back