What should I do?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Yspeed

Well I have a 89 civic Si hatch with 318 km it's burning oil,So I figure why not get a new engine. What would be the easies engine to drop in and what kind of parts would I need?And how much would it cost? thanx for the info

ZC: 129 hp. $700
B16: 160 hp. $1,300
B18: 197 hp. $2,900

I know that the ZC is the easiest to install; I just installed one in my CRX. I did not need any new parts except the ecu. I know with the B16 and B18 is a little more compicated (mounts, wiring). I'm sure there are a few more things you have to do as well, but I am not sure on what they are. If you have the money, I would get the B18.

well dude i live in canada and i priced out all of ur swaps

ZC = $1000 using Si tranny. Need ZC or 89 teg ecu, and engine thats it.
b16a= $3500 engine mounts tranny some wires for vtec, clutch and throttle cable axel's intermediate shaft b16a wiring harness.
b18a(1990-1991)= ( i just did) costed me $2500 same thing as b16a just no wires for vtec. Si wiring harness will be used. or b18a harness
b18c1 $4500= same stuff as b16a swap, but u gotta change to obd1.
b18c5 $6500= same stuff as b16a, but u need to change car to obd1 then engine to obd1, or do the most annoying job ever, changing engiine from obd2-obd1.

also there is NO b18 that has 197 hp,

b18a(LS 90-91) = 132 hp? or something
b18c1(GSR) = 180hp
b18c5(typeR)= 195.

all my prices are close, b/c i have friends that have swapped in all these motors and these are roughly what they paid in canadian.

Originally posted by Calesta@Jul 30 2003, 12:49 PM
Wow, I didn't know you could get a 197hp B18 for $2900. :p

My bad. I got my engines mixed up.
Here is the B18c1 with 180 hp for $3,100

B18c

When you decide on a motor, you need to keep focus on what you are going to want in the future.... If you want an 11 second street car, naturally you are going to want a B-Series DOHC VTEC...... Not ZC. I was considering the ZC for my CRX, then boosting it, but everyone that had the ZC at CRXSi.net was kicking themselves between the legs for not going all out and getting the B16a..... Just my 2 cents!

This is true... but I doubt that he wants an 11 second street car. The DOHC ZC has less maximum potential than the B16, but with less overall money put into the engine setup, a DOHC ZC will walk a B16 all over the place.

Tis True!!! If you look in a recent honda tuning mag, the front cover car is a CRX, and the powerplant is a DOHC ZC..... And, he's planning to run a Jackson supercharger...... Should be interesting!!!

Ya thanx, But I was just at sunrise motors and seen the B16a it's a Hot motor. But I don't have the cashmoney for that right now.I think the Zc DOHC is cheapest cuz I could of got one (installed)1100 Canadian That's about the best deal I have see.And the motor's only got 50km. But I just need to get my car on the road and passing E-testing. But I know for sure later On I'm going with the B16a. That's a sick motor. Thanx for the info

I just did my b18a swap into my CRX, got alot of power from that motor, soon to add the type-r head and run all motor........ but i think the dohc zc is a good choice for the price Yspeed..

Yspeed where do u live? i live in Vancouver and i have alot of friends that run alot of swaps

ef crx=I run B18a I/H/E Crower 403's with titanium spring/retainer ( in mail) and ACT clutch pressure plate and 14 LB flywheel

a Ef civic, b18c1 turbo running 11.94, guys thinking about boaring it to 2.2L getting a bigger turbo, and adding a 75 shot and going all track

ef civic with b18c5 swap, running 12.74

ef civic b18a swap, guy drove the HPA motorsports Audi TT a few months back inSport compact car, guy drove a stock b18a swap, with ONLY intake, to a 14.3 1/4 pass. which is NUTS.

same guy has a h22 in a 1991 accord.

ek coupe with h22a

eg hatch running b16a with a 50 shot

del sol with b16a ( stock) and a 50 shot.

1st gen CRX with b16a

Ef civic with a b16a built

Eg civic, with LS/Vtec swap, fully build, pure track car. right now running 12.21. ( clutch problems:)

ef civic with ZC.
this guy's ZC broke, and he said it was to much hassle for no performance so he took out the ZC and bought my d16a6 when i swapped it out.

my 2 cents, after riding in all the cars, and knowing the prices and ease of swaps. go b18a swap, its a lil more challening, with mounts, but is VERY easy, just drop in mounts and bolt down the engine using stock Si harness.

Ya thanx B18crx,I'm from Ontario and I don't think anyone around here is runnning a ZC so whatever. What about If I put a supercharger or Turbo wouldn't I get the same horse power as a B16a or B18?

Hi everyone!! I've got a 89 DX hatch and I was gonna go with a B16A but I recently came across a very very good deal on a B18B1 + tranny so I'm gonna get that. Not sure if I'm gonna go LSVTEC though. :spin:
Hiya Calesta!!!!!!

Back