What should I look for??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nq8s

I am going to buy a GSR motor b18c1 with like 55k miles from a guy in my area.

This is a FULL swap axles linkage mounts ecu etc.. what exactly should I look for while I go down to check out the motor at the warehouse??

What about papers? I think he said there is none.

Thanks

Ask to see the car it came out of, maybe!!!!!

Or a vin #. this info was provided with my motor, but sometimes you have too pay more for good service! :D

What wherehouse maybe someone bought an engine there and has feedback...
First i would look to see if its stolen if its a JDM there will be no papers but i would ask him to make you a reciept saying he sold you the engine and for how much with his signature and yours that take care of that !!oh and his address PROTECT YOURSELF you never know..

for the engine theres not really much you can tell to see if its in good condition
other than looking for oil leaks broken parts LOOK AT THE MOST EXPENSIVE PARTS ..DISTRIBUTOR ...SENSORS O2's ....ect.

AND GOOD LUCK ....DONT RUSH IT TAKE YOUR TIME .

do a compression and leakdown test

leak down would help if they had the tools but i doubt they would wanna do it in front of you.What you should do if you get it would be to get it HONED or BORED IT THEN HONE IT that would be the best thing you can do.
So HONE and get new rings
OR BORE AND HONE AND GET NEW PISTONS AND RING

not to be a dick but I would suggest brining someone who knows a good amount about honda swaps. Just to ensure that you don't get dicked in the end, cause if you do then you will be hitting yourself in the head later down the road..

I bought my engine localy and had a lawyer do a bill of sale for the transaction,$20,a sig dosent mean crap unless its on legal documents or notarised[?spelling?] so I've been told.
we did a compression test but I also got to drive the car and pull the swap myself but a compression test and like JDMilan said bring some knowledge even just someone who knows engines period would be good.

if its a usdm motor, get the vin number and call a honda dealer, they can tell you a lot about the motor. i did it with my old motor. they can tell you the year, if it's stolen, a bunch of good shit. if there is no vin, you put yourself at risk, if you think is worth the risk don't offer shit for money.

Back