what size nut?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92CHB

I got an 92 hatch and i don't have a socket big enough to remove the rear main spindle nut. I was wondering if anyone knew what size it is so i don't have to go back and forth to Sears to get the right size socket. Thanks.

Originally posted by 92CHB@Sep 16 2004, 12:10 PM
I got an 92 hatch and i don't have a socket big enough to remove the rear main spindle nut. I was wondering if anyone knew what size it is so i don't have to go back and forth to Sears to get the right size socket. Thanks.
[post=391071]Quoted post[/post]​

32mm, same as the front. I have never took the rear one off, but the front on is a BITCH to get off. Buy impact grade if you can.

ya man Leverage is ur friend.... get a HUGE pipe and put it right on the end of the brakerbar... good luck

Originally posted by Slammed90Lude@Sep 16 2004, 09:41 PM
eh, it's not soo bad with 1/2 inch sockets and a decent breaker bar
[post=391324]Quoted post[/post]​

with the front, I have broken 2 half inch breaker bars, one being a craftsman. my socket however has held up.

however, for the rear, I think that your going to have to pull off the cover, then put the wheel back on, and lower the car then put the socket through the center cap, unless you have an impact.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Sep 16 2004, 11:00 PM
however, for the rear, I think that your going to have to pull off the cover, then put the wheel back on, and lower the car then put the socket through the center cap, unless you have an impact.
[post=391399]Quoted post[/post]​

That's what I do for the front too- my impact can't even get it off.

Originally posted by Calesta+Sep 18 2004, 01:52 PM-->
asmallsol
@Sep 16 2004, 11:00 PM

[post=391910]Quoted post[/post]​

greeeaaatt....... :blink: hopefully i won't have that much of a problem but i won't be able to find out till this wonderful 2 inches of rain stops :(

Originally posted by Calesta+Sep 18 2004, 02:52 PM-->
asmallsol

on the second swap that I did, the person's nuts were so rusted on, we bent the the craftsman 1/2 drive square part. We had 3 average size guys using the removeable part of the engine crane as our cheater bar, and we still had a bitch of a time doing that. I found a great way to do it though. Put the bar at just past 3 oclock. With a floor jack, jack up the bar. that way you use 500lbs or so of normallcy force to brake it loose.

Originally posted by asmallsol+Sep 18 2004, 02:22 PM-->
Originally posted by Calesta@Sep 18 2004, 02:52 PM
asmallsol

on the second swap that I did, the person's nuts were so rusted on, we bent the the craftsman 1/2 drive square part. We had 3 average size guys using the removeable part of the engine crane as our cheater bar, and we still had a bitch of a time doing that. I found a great way to do it though. Put the bar at just past 3 oclock. With a floor jack, jack up the bar. that way you use 500lbs or so of normallcy force to brake it loose.
[post=391927]Quoted post[/post]​

Yea very good idea, but hopefully it won't come to that...

What I do almost every time is:

Alloy wheels:
1. Jack up car
2. Remove wheel/tire
3. Remove center cap
4. Set car back down on ground

Steel wheels:
1. Sit on ass
2. Sit on ass
3. Sit on ass
4. Remove hubcap

-----

5. Insert 32mm socket
6. Add 3 foot pipe to handle on breaker bar
7. Push
8. Jack up car
9. Remove wheel
10. Remove nut

Works every time- there's not too much force involved once you get the hub stationary (wheel on the ground) and add a breaker bar with a ton of leverage. The main problems I have with using an impact wrench on the axle nut are with spinning the axle or hub with the wrench while the car is in the air. Just keep the wheels on the ground while you're breaking loose the spindle nuts and everything will be easy as pie.

Back