what size turbo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

breed

I have a turbo ls/vtec but I got the turbonetics turbo from someone and they don't know what size turbo it is. I think it's a t4 but I'm not sure. the turbo is not completly spooled till about 4000 rpm's. I want to be spooled up at like 2500-3000 rpm's. what size turbo should I get that can give me good power but still spool fast?

i doubt its a t4.
maybe a t3/t4

if you want to spool faster, up the compression of your motor, give your motor more air flow, head work, etc and get a real 3" exahust. the exhaust is holding your spool back a LOT im sure.

Originally posted by breed@Apr 25 2004, 01:29 PM
also whats a good 3" exhaust or should I get it custom

your local muffler shop can make you 3" exhaust/downpipe.
if you don't have a downpipe already, turbonetics makes a downpipe flange with a 3" adapter outlet for a 3" downpipe for about $20.

the shop can't make it mandrel bent? I would only use mandrel bends, if that shop doesn't do it then find a shop that will. Mandrel bends are more expensive but I think it's worth it. I mean don't get me wrong crush bent will work also but with mandrel you don't get the narrowing of the pipe where the bends are. my custom downpipe right now is crush bent but I wish I would have gotten it mandrel bent which is what I'm gonna do eventually.

crush bent 3" is probably worse than mendrel bent 2 1/2.

but seriously, leave the turbo alone for now. i think there are other areas that are bottle necking you.

1- downpipe. if its not 3", toss it.
2- cat, if you have one at all, its hurting you- but if you need to run one, get a 3" high flow as well
3- cat back, 3" mendrel
4- muffler - striaght through as possible. none of this twin-loop quad tip bullshit.

doing that will give you at LEAST a 500 rpm jump in spool

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Apr 25 2004, 04:40 PM

but seriously, leave the turbo alone for now. i think there are other areas that are bottle necking you.

2- cat, if you have one at all, its hurting you- but if you need to run one, get a 3" high flow as well
3- cat back, 3" mendrel
4- muffler - striaght through as possible. none of this twin-loop quad tip bullshit.

:werd: :withstupid: I had an apexi n1 cat back on my car with a crap fmax douwn pipe. When i put my thermal 3 inch and a 3inch down pipe i went from 285whp to 348whp. If i were you first thing on my shopping list be a full 3 inch exhaust.

Originally posted by b16ahatch+Apr 25 2004, 05:05 PM-->
pissedoffsol
@Apr 25 2004, 04:40 PM

3- cat back, 3" mendrel

:werd: :withstupid: I had an apexi n1 cat back on my car with a crap fmax douwn pipe. When i put my thermal 3 inch and a 3inch down pipe i went from 285whp to 348whp. If i were you first thing on my shopping list be a full 3 inch exhaust.

ey where did you find the apexi n-1 catback 3' ,i have a regular apexi n-1 catback but im going turbo so now i need a 3' one and i want the apexi i know they make one but i never could find one?

I have a custom mandel bent 3" exhaust and 3" DP on my CRX with a 3" in 4" out Apexi N1 coffeecan on my turbo LS. Works fairly well. The N1 is pretty much a straight through kinda deal... not much in the way of restrictions.

Back