what swap todo on my budget?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'd go with the boosted dohc zc then. You could deff hit 200hp on stock internals. But with a GOOD tune.

I'd go with the boosted dohc zc then. You could deff hit 200hp on stock internals. But with a GOOD tune.

well we got some good shops here that can tune very good. i was hoping someone agreed on the dohc zc boosted. it would be an easy swap since it's obd1, drops right in. same tranny and axles. can i use the same ecu? or do i need a p28?

so i was wondering about the dohc zc obd1 compared to the z6? how much is the difference between the 2 motors.

DOHC ZC is definitely nice if you can get adjustable cam gears for it to tune the overlap on boost- it has a nice power curve without dealing with VTEC, and quite a few people have made 200whp on it without internal upgrades.

if i build the d15 block with pistons and rods will i get there?
if i get a d16 i still would have to get the pistons and rods, so extra money for the motor is being spent.

True- but you could probably get a bare block D16 for free.

if you had a z6 or d15b, both have internals that will handle 200 hp stock. no need to upgrade that. sure you could do the same thing with the b7, but i wouldnt mostly because of the head. Maybe if you did a mini-me + turbo that'll do what you want. Someone more familiar with the D-series will have to confirm if you can do a mini me on a d15b7.

Yes, you can put a VTEC head on a D15B7.

i thought about that and know i could get the 200 with turbo on the z6, if i did a mini-me on the b7 i might have to build the block and do head work. i know sock z6 heands can handle the 200hp and so can the block on a good tune. might be the route i will go. i am just wondering more about the dohc zc obd1. they drop right in. no ugrade in ecu, same tranny and axles, bump in hp and i could boost it. just wondering how much boost can the zc take on stock internals.

I'd definitely build the block if you were going to use the D15 bottom end. See above- quite a few DOHC ZC builds over 200whp on stock internals with boost.

i have a local importer that can get me whatever i want. i really would like to go with the zc just because, well not many zc here that are boosted. i enjoy having something different. another question is what ecu should i use with the zc and if i go with hondata which one should i go with s100,200,300?

Last edited:
if you're turbo'ing a a6 you dont want to do a minime(raises compression) plus the turbo forces air in so no need for vtec or the slightly better flowing head for 200hp.

You don't need hondata. I was told to use CROME because it's free. I'm turboing the same engine. Working on saving the cash right now. Hondata will take up alot of your budget.

You don't need hondata. I was told to use CROME because it's free. I'm turboing the same engine. Working on saving the cash right now. Hondata will take up alot of your budget.

CROME is free but not too sure on tuning. if the guys can tune it with that then sure i'll go that route. i know if i can get a cheap hondata the tune would be faster and eaiser. i'll ask if they can do it with CHROME, free is always good while on a budget.

after i'm done with this swap, i was thinking of building the g23 and getting a shell to drop it in. but that is the next project.

S100 is just a flash, S200 is the older version, S300 is newer. If you want to stay in budget, go with Uberdata or Crome. Both of those are free. Hondata is not.

Back