What The Best Engine To Put In A 96 Civic Lx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbv218

i have a 96 civic lx 4dr 5spd and i want to do an engine swap..looking all over the internet to figure out the best engine swap .. and i am still looking.. but mybe one of you folks can help me out.

also, what do you want to do with it? AutoX, drag, street, Daily driver, caynon carver? Also, have you ever thought about going turbo or do you want to stick NA?

with 3 grand, your options are pretty slim. you can get an LS motor for pretty cheap. if you want vtec, look into a b16. i've seen some deals for gsr's for about 3 grand around here as well, i live in san diego btw. good luck.

Don't forget though that your probably also going to want to upgrade the the breathing systems,so work I/H/E into your budget,and any little things that pop up,just don't hit your ceiling with the motor and be left broke with no outs if something happens.That is the cause of a lot of "my car was off the road for two months" stories.

what is the i/h/e? send it is a 6th gen. what would be the best year Ls to get. all so what the diff. between the Ls and the gsr. i was looking into the frankinstien, engine modifacation. what do you think about that?

i/h/e=intake, header, exhaust.....you need a motor that is the same obd as your car which is obd-1 i think could be wrong though. you'll also need mounts, ecu, and axles. ls/vtec (frankenstein) is an awesome setup that is very much recommended but your not going to do it on 3g's....if you went the ls/v-tec route do it right and don't skimp on building. this will ensure that it has a long life....

ls=no v-tec
gsr=v-tec

in the gsr the work as far as mating the v-tec head to the block is already done......not sure on cost of the gsr but it would be less work than buying an ls and converting it to v-tec...

less work=cheaper labor rates

lets say i got the lx engine cause most likly i think that is what i am goin to get. besides a turbo and i/h/e. what would be the best way to push out 400hp, with out NOS.

by sides my carbon fiber hood and my fiberglass body kit, what is the best my to lightin my car.

There is no way your going to swap a motor,and come anywhere close to 400hp (wheel or base) for $3000,NO WAY.For numbers like that,think $8000-$12,000 and a couple months for parts build up and tuning.400hp is shooting a little high to say the least.A frankenstein set up is good if you have a LS motor already or want to spend the extra time and money to build a badass motor.For now I think you should get in he N/A frame of mind,and save up a little more and get the GSR B18C1 and the bolt ons mentioned and then once your up to speed,start looking into a built up turbo motor.As far as lightening your car you can rip out all the carpeting and sound proofing remove your spare,and anything else that isn't attached to the chassis.

Originally posted by cbrnascar0329 Posted on Feb 19 2003@ 07:03 PM
...you need a motor that is the same obd as your car which is obd-1 i think could be wrong though.

His car is OBD II.

best way to push out 400 hp for 3k is to sell your car and buy a mustang/commaro and do about 3g's to the engine and then your probally pretty close. A 400hp street legal car with 3g's is impossible. Honda's are not the cheapest car out there and to make them fast takes money. FastNFerious gave imports a bad name by making it look like 17's, catback (dual exhaust :lol: ) and a bodykit will get you into 10's and 9's. The only way that your going to get into the 400 hp range with 3 grand is to buy a huge nitrous kit and find some way to make the car have like a 300 shot, your car wont last for long but it will get into the 400 range.

Also bodykits dont make your car lighter, they actually make you put on weight because the smaller OEM stuff is already a light fiberglass/composite material and 99% of kits out there could care less about performance, drag, weight, air circulation ect. They are all about looks and nothing else.

jackass, y do u set the standard at 400hp. theres so many factors u have to consider, not just shooting a 500 shot of nos. y dont u just realize that unless you have a decent amount of money to spend youll get no where near 400hp. your not just gonna put a intake and 4inch exhaust and run 10s or 11s no matter what movies youve seen. come back to planet earth and realize that it costs $$. spend your 1500 on a good vacation

Originally posted by blackhb9876@Feb 23 2003, 01:09 AM
jackass, y do u set the standard at 400hp. theres so many factors u have to consider, not just shooting a 500 shot of nos. y dont u just realize that unless you have a decent amount of money to spend youll get no where near 400hp. your not just gonna put a intake and 4inch exhaust and run 10s or 11s no matter what movies youve seen. come back to planet earth and realize that it costs $$. spend your 1500 on a good vacation

Chill out guy,no need to call people names. ;)

I took me about twice as long to read the last two posts as it should have. Does it really take that long to spell out "why" and "you"??? When you use 'y' it looks like you are typing in Spanish. Please try and use the English language, it makes your ideas much easier to understand.

Originally posted by blackhb9876@Feb 22 2003, 07:09 PM

Who is this directed to. Plus please dont call names, it makes you sound like an ass.

u just called me an ass, so i guess thats the same for u, ass. and to lsvtec, if it took u twice as long to read it then your either a complete moron or illiterate in the first place.

blackhb9876, he wasn't calling you an ass. He was just saying that you sound like an ass.

By the way, blackhb9876, you need to spell out the word "you". Please don't just use the letter "u" because it makes you look like an ass :lol: .

P.S. It's you're (you+are)

P.P.S. blackhb9876, good advice on your first post here at this thread. Way to just repeat what everyone else said. I think that you should "come back to planet earth". "Your" a "complete moron and illiterate in the first place".

P.P.P.S. It took lsvtec twice as long to read because "your" a "complete moron and illiterate in the first place".

Originally posted by blackhb9876@Feb 23 2003, 05:48 AM
u just called me an ass, so i guess thats the same for u, ass. and to lsvtec, if it took u twice as long to read it then your either a complete moron or illiterate in the first place.

There is not any tolerance for people like you here,I see getting banned in your future.Stop trying to pretend your cool and go learn something,like how to spell.Stupid kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back