What the best suspension setup

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RiceRocket55

What’s up folks?
I've got a 91 HB with B16a1 w/ H-I-E, stage 1 Act clutch, and a light weight Flywheel (daily driver).

I'm trying to find a great suspension setup. My first thought was to go Ground Control with adjustable AGX or KYB (or other similar priced shock manufacture).

Recently a performance shop owner told me that D2 would be a better setup. I'm wondering if anyone knows what the truth is? Is there a difference, or what is the best daily driver setup?

havent heard a lot of good stuff about d2 (at least not in the dallas autox circle). Most of the guys around here are using revalved konis with gc coilovers (with WIDELY VARIED spring rates). As far as daily driving goes, adjustable shocks (eg KYB AGXs) with some H&R, Neuspeed or Tein springs seem to be pretty popular. If you are daily driving and NEED coilovers, just go with the tein basics.

What have you guys heard about ground control? I know it's a pretty big name, but is it comfortable?

(I understand that the shocks make all the difference - so what shocks would match up the best?) Is anybody running Ground Control coilovers?

I have a couple buddies using them, they handle awesome but are quite stiff for everday use. Some adjustable shocks may help, but I have no 1st hand experience with it.

well if you plan on using gcs for daily driving then tell them in the form on the website. theyll set you up with like 450/225 spring rates and youll be good to go. you dont HAVE to go with spring rates like 600/800, GC can give you whatever you want.

The guys I'm talking about arent researchers, thats why they buy things a few times before they're happy :p Like the old saying, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Some people never learn......

if its for everyday driving, id just stick with a good spring/shock combo. Coilovers are really only necessary if you are raising/lowering your car for events or shows.... plus to get the full performance out of them you should get corner balanced... which is overkill for a DD not seeing any racing duty.

I'd like to be able to lower and raise the car from winter to summer. Would a Ground Control set up with the correct spring rate, with good adjustable shocks, do the trick?
And what's a comfortable (Daily Driver) but functional spring rate?

Well...you have to realign the car every time you change the ride height so unless you want to spend $60-70 twice a year I suggest you just lower it an inch or two and be happy with it. I run GC's with 350front 250rear on AGX's and its a bit bouncy but completely drivable on a daily basis. I actually perfer stiff suspension on the street, it just feels right to me.

good spring rates for dd. probably has some unusual understeer though (more than the CRX usually has that is). oh well, understeer on a daily driven car such a bad thing.

What have you guys heard about ground control? I know it's a pretty big name, but is it comfortable?

(I understand that the shocks make all the difference - so what shocks would match up the best?) Is anybody running Ground Control coilovers?

I'm had ground control and the are sick... I love them... the only thing that stops me from getting them is I want a full spring, shock absorber setup... not just coilovers. But on my last 3 rides I had ground control... I had 2 different coilovers on my first ride... going cheap... the springs would slowly move... since that I stuck to coilovers and loved them ever since

Regards,
M.A.D

A lot of shops in my area guarantee the alignment for a year, so you can raise and drop it all you want and get a free alignment afterward.

@reiko, nope, no real issues with understeer. I race the car somewhat regularly with the local AutoX club and it rotates quite well.

I've got lifetime alignments so that's not an issue. (130.00 @ firestone).

UsMcBaldie wrote:
"I want a full spring, shock absorber setup... not just coilovers"

What's an exapmle of this type of setup and what would the price difference be between that and GC's w/tokico?

Overall it seems like no one has issues with the G.C. if the spring rate is correct.

I've got lifetime alignments so that's not an issue. (130.00 @ firestone).

UsMcBaldie wrote:
"I want a full spring, shock absorber setup... not just coilovers"

What's an exapmle of this type of setup and what would the price difference be between that and GC's w/tokico?

Overall it seems like no one has issues with the G.C. if the spring rate is correct.

Hes talking about something like tein basic/SS/flex coil overs where the company making the coilover makes the struts/shocks too and they are included in the price.

Eibach and Tokico are making kits like that now too. Tein's suck balls!! I have a set of SS' on my Matrix, the damper adjusters froze before a year was up. My car is ONLY garage kept, no rust on the shock at all. My friend has them on his 01 Civic, they did the samething to him!!! I called Tein and tried to get my so called Lifetime Warranty honored, they told me $75/shock for an overhaul.

While $75 is cheap, I just paid 1100 not even a year ago when it happened. Fuckin BULLSHIT!!!

anyone use the tokico package?? or anyone know of any reviews on it??

Sounds like you already made up your mind, get the gc's. Speaking of spring rates, anyone know the springrate of your average eibach sportline? :)

Back