WHAT THE CRAP>.... ECU under carpet

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

deadhooker

ECU insanity... now with frame damage & pics

Sorry, thought I'd go for instant let down here. So I purchased my 91' Hatch with what I initially thought had an original D15B motor. I'm not too sure anymore. I wonder if someone could help me with diagnosing what I've got here. I can get numbers off the block if necessary.

But here is the issue. I was cleaning up the interior and came across this little doozy: A Speed Innovations Engine Management System. Would this mean the motor is definitely not original? I have put a call into Speed Innovations to get serial number info and what have you. But until then, any thoughts on how I should go forward?

The car runs great, but won't pass emissions. I'm just wondering what I've got here.

Last edited:
Serial won't do any good. What's the exact engine code on the block?

Speed Innovations Engine Management System may insinuate the ECU has been chipped. If it's the original ECU for the engine, the chip can be disabled by cutting a jumper. If not, a simple ECU swap would work.

Probably a chipped ECU is making you run rich....pretty sure you need to get it out of there for smog. If its deleting the need for an O2....its definitely got to go. I just bought a USDM P30 for big $$$ and didn't pass smog....and I was getting 8mpg less then the JDM P30. I eventually popped the lid on the ECU and found a friggin' SST chip. Getting a new one soon and was told my Cat is probably done for after running rich from the chip. You may need a new Cat too

Look on the block where it connects to the trans to find out the motor. It will be engraved D15 or something and the lettering is about 1 inch tall. Can't miss it. Right in front of the radiator

Last edited:
SST is a brand dude(common chip manufacturers is Amtel and SST, with SST being more popular). ;)

Last edited:
I am very aware that SST is a brand, Dude. I was naming the brand of chip in my post and how I am getting to exchange my chipped ECU for a Virgin one.

you don't need to exchange anything. Cut J1 I believe, and it pretty much disables the chip and reverts to stock.

ok, here is serial numbers on the block:

D15B

So if the ecu has potentially just been chipped, could I pop the thing open and find the chip? Or, should I go pull a standard one out of another civic? There is a 91' Hatch in the local junkyard that hasn't been annihalated yet, would it be worth the effort?

I'm a bit concerned that I won't be able to go back to stock as they also have a custom wiring harness on it and there is all kinds of rats nest under there. (It is the SST wiring harness)

The one mention of low mpgs w/ running too rich... The car just got 42.2 mpg out of the first tank.

d15b (with nothing after the b) definitely isnt stock. Dude probably didnt have the correct ecu for the engine so just bought one and had it chipped. You should be using a P08, or, if you aren't in california, a P28 with a conversion harness. Both will work well for a stock D15b

d15b (with nothing after the b) definitely isnt stock. Dude probably didnt have the correct ecu for the engine so just bought one and had it chipped. You should be using a P08, or, if you aren't in california, a P28 with a conversion harness. Both will work well for a stock D15b

Not all D15Bs use P08 ECUs...there's a couple versions of the "D15B" that are non-VTEC and some even carb'd. First step would be to find out if the engine you have is VTEC or non-VTEC, and is it still DPFI or MPFI.

true enough.

thanks for catching me on that, i generally think sohc vtec when i hear d15b.

wait that's low to you? thats like 7mpg more then I've ever gotten off of my stock hatch

No, I'm quite happy with over 40. My dodge gets about 8 if I'm nice to it. I meant to say I was quite happy with the mileage so far

So then the motor isn't stock, what would it have come out of? Is it a good motor?

The vtec solenoids are not plugged in on the motor (per my previous post). How would I find out what ecu this is? Would there be markings on it?

Sorry to be so newbie about all of this. I really just wanted a daily driver/commuter and seem to have gotten quite the modified little ride.

ignore what cars it came out of question. I forgot to use good ol' google

It seems like this motor only came out of JDM hondas? Would this be correct? If so, how do I find out if it is the first edition d15b or 2nd make? (wikepedia led me to this question)

Last edited:
I think there's 4 versions, maybe even more. D15B carb'd(obviously has carburetors), MPFI D15B(equivalent to non-VTEC D15B7), D15B VTEC("destroke" D16Z6), and OBD2 D15B VTEC(3-stage VTEC, has two VTEC solenoids).

First is easy to spot, it'd have a carburetor on it. non-VTEC heads have the spark plugs pointed towards the cab, VTEC vice verse. 3-Stage VTECs have two solenoids instead of one.

38321440003_large.jpg
so here is a pic. of the engine. I will upload the other pics as soon as I get a new card reader for the computer

Also of note, this is from the tag on the timing cover:

TP2R-A5-02

D16Y8-1319365

Last edited:
and one of my earlier posts I am told this is a vtec due to one of the missing connectors

Its definitely been put together and a different valve cover. I believe that valve cover is a D16Y8....VTEC in OBD1did not have HONDA in big letters like yours. I bet its a D15B JDM motor. Its a decent SOHC motor. Just look into a chipped P28 or even a P06 (much cheaper) that has a base map for your D15B VTEC

Can you get a picture of the other side of the block/head and also can you see the head code/stamp?

Can you get a picture of the other side of the block/head and also can you see the head code/stamp?

from what angle? Anything you guys can do to point me in the right direction would be cool. where would the head code stamp be?

I'm taking it into a govt testing facility tomorrow. Hopefully they'll be able to decipher some of the nonsense on this thing.

Should I get a different valve cover? This one definitely has an odd bit of "leftover" gasket.

Back