WHAT THE CRAP>.... ECU under carpet

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Stamp is on the back of the block where the intake manifold is. I can't tell you the specifics since it's been a while since I looked back there and it's dark here right now. But, the code should be something like P07, P08, P2J, or P2F.

:popcorn: subscribing. this is an interesting find. :)

yah, sorry to be the idiot who may have stumbled across something nice. I hate those guys:D

Stamp is on the back of the block where the intake manifold is. I can't tell you the specifics since it's been a while since I looked back there and it's dark here right now. But, the code should be something like P07, P08, P2J, or P2F.

Assuming I am looking just about the manifold; the only thing I could find was a "2". No P or anything else. I can check again tomorrow when it is light if that doesn't make sense

My mistake, it's on the front of the block above the exhaust manifold***

Here are the numbers I put above. I will go check the block for anything else
D15B

Also, what is the thought on removing the timing cover? The one that is on is definitely not the right one and doesn't fit.

Isn't the D15B carb'd? Its some sort of a Mini-me...at least I think it is. Am I seeing the VTEC solenoid on the other side of the dizzy? That would make me think its a D16Y8 head (b/c of the valve cover) but I could be wrong. Liek K2e2vin asked....look on the Head (not the block) above the header and write down what you see stamped. I know my B16 tells me its the B16 head cast and it also has some circles with numbers stamped in them (been told that expresses the year it was made) so look to see if you head has something similar.

Isn't the D15B carb'd? Its some sort of a Mini-me...at least I think it is. Am I seeing the VTEC solenoid on the other side of the dizzy? That would make me think its a D16Y8 head (b/c of the valve cover) but I could be wrong. Liek K2e2vin asked....look on the Head (not the block) above the header and write down what you see stamped. I know my B16 tells me its the B16 head cast and it also has some circles with numbers stamped in them (been told that expresses the year it was made) so look to see if you head has something similar.

If they were normally carb'd, this one isn't. Here are the numbers:

at thermastat housing: 5211170704

stamped just below head: P08 2

there are three circles with a slash in between them: in those are (9/2) (1/1) (1/0). So a build date of November 10, 1992?

perhaps I'm not familiar with what you mean by dizzy? I assume distributor, if so, the vtec solenoid is just above it. pic attached:
38321440004_large.jpg

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/4/329/2881/38321440004_large.jpg

Last edited:
Also, pardon my lack of knowledge, but what exactly makes a mini me a mini me?

The ecu has a stored code in regards to non operational vtec solenoid. How would one go about tracing the issue?

And yes, I know nothing about hondas anymore, but do know enough to be stupid :)

as we said earlier not all d15b's are carbed, not all are vtec, some are 3 stage vtec. The one you have (signified by the P08 stamp on the head) is a D15B single stage vtec. The correct ecu for that engine is a P08; however, a p28 will work, just not as well.

as we said earlier not all d15b's are carbed, not all are vtec, some are 3 stage vtec. The one you have (signified by the P08 stamp on the head) is a D15B single stage vtec. The correct ecu for that engine is a P08; however, a p28 will work, just not as well.

I am aware of the previous information. I wanted to clarify for the earlier post from another person.

So what would this have been originally in? (of course this could be speculation.) I checked wikepedia and it states it was only in JDM cars.

I'm still trying to figure out what computer it does have. Unfortunately I've yet to hear back from teh company who did the ecu. The original oem sticker was removed.

So since you have P08 on the head...I am pretty sure its a JDM motor. I believe its a the D15B thats pretty much a destroked D16Z6...but that's my opinion. I first thought it was the carb'd motor that could have came in your 88-91 with a D16Y8 head (b/c of the valve cover) but I'm thinking no now.

A mini me is a D series Frankenstein motor (like a LS/VTEC)

D16Z6s have P08 heads also. D16Ys have different heads, P2*. We pretty much know it's JDM from the block marking(D15B with no numbers after the B).

What I think it is, is a JDM D15B VTEC, originally OBD1, with D16Y8 valve cover, Y8 timing belt cover, and D16A6 intake manifold. Other things that may be hard to see is the JDM D15B has a "D16Z6" style tensioner(long arm), P08 timing belt(mini-me's use D16Z/Y belts), shorter water pump than non-VTEC D15s, specific "P08" pistons(very noticeable difference from PM3/P03 pistons found in regular non-VTEC D15s), and larger rod bearing journals(D16-sized) with full counterweights. Another thing I noticed is the front water neck is off-angled, causing that kink in the radiator hose. I had that exact same issue with my JDM D15B.

Last edited:
D16Z6s have P08 heads also. D16Ys have different heads, P2*. We pretty much know it's JDM from the block marking(D15B with no numbers after the B).

What I think it is, is a JDM D15B VTEC, originally OBD1, with D16Y8 valve cover, Y8 timing belt cover, and D16A6 intake manifold. Other things that may be hard to see is the JDM D15B has a "D16Z6" style tensioner(long arm), P08 timing belt(mini-me's use D16Z/Y belts), shorter water pump than non-VTEC D15s, specific "P08" pistons(very noticeable difference from PM3/P03 pistons found in regular non-VTEC D15s), and larger rod bearing journals(D16-sized) with full counterweights. Another thing I noticed is the front water neck is off-angled, causing that kink in the radiator hose. I had that exact same issue with my JDM D15B.

damn. you know your stuff :) i think i already repped you in this thread once - but if not, here it comes.

I think my brain just exploded :headsmash:
really, my head hurts now... :) so it sounds like I've got quite the wee beast here? I found this article online and very interesting. Could it be possible that the head is the original for the motor?

D15B 1.5l SOHC VTEC

Could this be a 3 stage VTEC EK3? Per this article, these motors had the head with HONDA stamped on it rather than vtec.
ek3eng.jpg

And k2evn, your knowledge is insane. I thought I knew a bit about suspensions, but am pretty sure I'm a dirty newbie compared to you honda knowledge!!!

Last edited:
so then the second question....

What do I say I have when getting parts for the motor (such as the head gasket and header gasket) that it presenty needs??

you also mentioned that it is a non obd1 computer, what would it be then?

The 3-stage VTEC engine has 2 VTEC solenoids(you can see them in the picture you posted).

Yes, I believe the head is the original. The regular "Honda" valve covers were found on the Y8 which corresponds with the timing belt cover, but we know the actual head is not a Y8 head due to the headstamp.

Head gasket and header gasket just get 92-95 Civic EX/Si parts(D16Z6). Anything for the head, use D16Z6. For the block, use a D15Z1 timing belt, tensioner, and I believe the water pump is D15B specific so you may have to order that somewhere.

I have no clue what ECU is in there; is there an adapter harness/jumper between the car's original ECU connectors and the ECU?

The 3-stage VTEC engine has 2 VTEC solenoids(you can see them in the picture you posted).

Yes, I believe the head is the original. The regular "Honda" valve covers were found on the Y8 which corresponds with the timing belt cover, but we know the actual head is not a Y8 head due to the headstamp.

Head gasket and header gasket just get 92-95 Civic EX/Si parts(D16Z6). Anything for the head, use D16Z6. For the block, use a D15Z1 timing belt, tensioner, and I believe the water pump is D15B specific so you may have to order that somewhere.

I have no clue what ECU is in there; is there an adapter harness/jumper between the car's original ECU connectors and the ECU?

once again, your knowledge is astounding...

So what would I pick up for a timing cover (as this one doesn't fit at all).

So would spark plugs be d16z6?

I couldn't find any sort of stamping on the ecu. The HONDA sticker was removed by Speed Innovations so there isn't any original info on it. It definitely will not mount on the original holes on the firewall. Hence why it was just kinda hanging out there...

So what would be good suggestions maintenance wise? Beyond the obvious of basic stuff. any internals or top end stuff to keep an eye out on?

It also has the standard of intake, exhaust, plugs, wires, and all that. What would be good mods from here? I may have access to a turbo allready setup on an h23. I figure most of it could be modded for the d15b.

D15Z1 timing cover should fit perfectly, though I haven't really had a chance to play around with different covers.

Yes, Z6 spark plugs. Though, I *think* the non-VTEC use the same ones.

So is the ECU hooked up via a jumper/adapter harness? If you can open it up and take a pic, or possibly just compare it to a pic of OBD1/2 and OBD0 ECU connectors.

Internals: for the head, the D15B VTEC cam has similar profile to the Z6 but lobe separation is different(Bisimoto is the only mfg that caters to this difference, otherwise a Z6 cam would work fine). Really, anything Z6 will work just fine.

Bottom: Use D15Z1 piston rings which I believe are the same as D16Y. D15 main bearings, D16 rod bearings. The P08 pistons are shorter compression height than both D15 and D16 pistons, with the exception of D15Z1 pistons and D17 pistons. Be careful when swapping pistons; though you can possibly use modified B16 rods(in similar matter of LS rods in D16) to run regular D15/D16 (~30mm CH) pistons. Normal P03/PM3 oil pumps found in both D16Z/A and D15s will work fine.

Where you want to go really depends on your goals(power level, type of racing or driving, etc.)

computer and wiring

38321440009_large.jpg

this is the poor attempt at using gaskets that fit. Both the header and head gasket show the issues

38321440008_large.jpg

2 vtec solenoids is why I wondered if this is the Stage 3 version. One is broken

38321440006_large.jpg

Back