WHAT THE CRAP>.... ECU under carpet

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

so can I just remove the SST chip?

The stupid thing just failed emissions again, blew high on noX. It sounds like the exhaust may have not been done properly. I just had a new cat put on and the damned thing sounds like a VW bug.

Any thoughts? It blew a 3.895 (3.5 being max). I'm going to take it back to the exhaust shop tomorrow and then back to the emissions next week. I don't know if the o2 sensor is bad, and perhaps it is running too lean. It doesn't seem to be overheating (at least per the gauge). Brand new radiator, thermostat and such. But the F#*$)^ had a bit of coolant on top of the fan shroud.

I'm going to take it to the radiator shop and have them pressure test the radiator.

I am wondering if wiring the fan to a constant on (or switched) might be worthwhile. I haven't heard the fan come on once.

I also have the papers from the emissions facility. I'll try and get those posted tomorrow.

It blows high noX under acceleration.

A mechanic from a different agency said it blows a little bit of smoke, but nothing severe. There is soot in the tailpipe, but his thought is it was from the previous motor

That looks to be a P28 ECU; it already supports VTEC. Just cut J1 to disable the chip. Wiring VTEC wouldn't effect the emission, but I have a feeling the chip may be causing it to fail. Check for vacuum leaks also.

Yes, the SST chip can be erased and re-burned.

So can't he run a P28 with the D15B VTEC basemap? (I am actually wondering if its different anyways) That way he has the luxury of VTEC too? Or the JDM correct ECU should be easily available too?

He asked about swapping in a 88-91 ECU, which would get rid of the jumper harness. Yes, you can run a P28 with D15B basemap. I actually did that for a while but you have to pay attention to the settings. 88-91 and the D15B VTEC came with 1-wire O2s and the P08 does not use a Purge solenoid, so purge and O2 heater would have to be disabled.

P08 ECUs should be somewhat easy to find but you don't come across them everyday.

That looks to be a P28 ECU; it already supports VTEC. Just cut J1 to disable the chip. Wiring VTEC wouldn't effect the emission, but I have a feeling the chip may be causing it to fail. Check for vacuum leaks also.

Yes, the SST chip can be erased and re-burned.

If I cut the J1 will that permanently disable the VTEC controller? Or, is it just related to the chip they put in? And when you say "cut", do literally mean cutting the connector on the backside of the chip(I don't have it in front of me so I'm really just shooting off the hip)

He asked about swapping in a 88-91 ECU, which would get rid of the jumper harness. Yes, you can run a P28 with D15B basemap. I actually did that for a while but you have to pay attention to the settings. 88-91 and the D15B VTEC came with 1-wire O2s and the P08 does not use a Purge solenoid, so purge and O2 heater would have to be disabled.

P08 ECUs should be somewhat easy to find but you don't come across them everyday.

My only issue with swapping to a different computer is the potential wiring madness I could end up getting into. I'll verify if the jumper harness was spliced in, or simply plugged in. God wiling, it was done the right way.

Could I get it to run removing the jumper harness and and the computer. Then converting it back to a p08? Would another 91' Hatch have a p08? I don't want to have to mess with the computer or the mapping. I work on databases for a living, but wouldn't know where to begin on the physical computer of the car (but am open to suggestions)

Last edited:
just talked to SST. They can send me a factory mapped chip and I can just throw it in this computer. That way there should be zero problems with emissions (per SST)

Is going factory chip for $35 probably worth it? I suppose I could then always throw the "performance" chip back in. or maybe sell it

You think you are running lean? I would 'think' the chip makes it rich but at the same time, I am not that knowledgable with chips as they play a part with smog. I would get the new chip or do what K2e2vin and omit J1

i would think it is too rich as well, but wouldnt high nox be unburnt fuel, ie: lean?

do i just cut the actual wire on the chip?

un-burnt is rich....right? Lean is too much air and not enough fuel.....Shit....I dont know but thats what I thought....now you make me second guess the whole foundation of my theory lol. I don't know enough but if I can get to a smog station tomorrow after work (with my new ECU) I'll try to ask the guy there so you can get another opinion.

I think I'm going to drive this car into a freaking wall.... I tried to find new gaskets for the pipes coming from the manifold into the collector. It isn't the gasket for a 88-91, or a 92-95 civic...

What the hell could this thing be off of?

un-burnt is rich....right? Lean is too much air and not enough fuel.....Shit....I dont know but thats what I thought....now you make me second guess the whole foundation of my theory lol. I don't know enough but if I can get to a smog station tomorrow after work (with my new ECU) I'll try to ask the guy there so you can get another opinion.

That has always been my understanding as well. I'm completely confused as well

just talked to SST. They can send me a factory mapped chip and I can just throw it in this computer. That way there should be zero problems with emissions (per SST)

Is going factory chip for $35 probably worth it? I suppose I could then always throw the "performance" chip back in. or maybe sell it

That's odd, as SST does not do maps. They're chip manufacturers. Are you talking about the original shop that burned the chip? I don't know who you're talking to, but ask them if they have the base map for a JDM D15B VTEC(P08). A "Factory mapped chip" is pretty vague. For a little more you could get a whole chipping/socketing kit. If anything, contact Phearable or Xenocron and ask them how much for just a map, and let them know you already have a chip.

If I cut the J1 will that permanently disable the VTEC controller? Or, is it just related to the chip they put in? And when you say "cut", do literally mean cutting the connector on the backside of the chip(I don't have it in front of me so I'm really just shooting off the hip)

My only issue with swapping to a different computer is the potential wiring madness I could end up getting into. I'll verify if the jumper harness was spliced in, or simply plugged in. God wiling, it was done the right way.

Could I get it to run removing the jumper harness and and the computer. Then converting it back to a p08? Would another 91' Hatch have a p08? I don't want to have to mess with the computer or the mapping. I work on databases for a living, but wouldn't know where to begin on the physical computer of the car (but am open to suggestions)

No. They installed a piece of wire that literally jumps J1(hence turning the circuit "on"). Cutting it makes it revert back to the stock ECU(ignores whatever chip is in there).

No 88-91 Civic/CRX has a P08 ECU. The P08 ECU uses the same connectors as the ECU you already have in there(OBD1).

That's odd, as SST does not do maps. They're chip manufacturers. Are you talking about the original shop that burned the chip? I don't know who you're talking to, but ask them if they have the base map for a JDM D15B VTEC(P08). A "Factory mapped chip" is pretty vague. For a little more you could get a whole chipping/socketing kit. If anything, contact Phearable or Xenocron and ask them how much for just a map, and let them know you already have a chip.

No. They installed a piece of wire that literally jumps J1(hence turning the circuit "on"). Cutting it makes it revert back to the stock ECU(ignores whatever chip is in there).

No 88-91 Civic/CRX has a P08 ECU. The P08 ECU uses the same connectors as the ECU you already have in there(OBD1).
---------------------------------------
I spoke to one of the sales reps at SST. I asked him if I gave him the serial number if he could give me specs on how the chip was done. He didn't seem too knowledgable, but I am going to call again today. I assumed SST is the one who did all of the chip and everything. I figured the previous owner purchased the entire computer (per the stickers all over it) from SST.
-------------

Thanks for clarifying that. I just don't feel too comfortable cutting things without first knowing what is going on.

SST is a GENERAL Chip that NEEDS to be programed by someone else. Its like buying a refrigerator but you also need to put food/drinks/etc in it yourself. So it was programed by someone else and SST would not really have much of a clue. You need to find a chip programmer or simply get a nwe one. Did you ever take a picture of the serial #? You really don'ty have to....jsut copy down the numbers and tell us. You may be able to remove the chip (via J1) but you may need to put a new program on it....or it may have a program for a D15B VTEC already.

Did you hook the VTEC up yet? That would give you a clue if VTEC engages.

Last edited:
SST is a GENERAL Chip that NEEDS to be programed by someone else. Its like buying a refrigerator but you also need to put food/drinks/etc in it yourself. So it was programed by someone else and SST would not really have much of a clue. You need to find a chip programmer or simply get a nwe one. Did you ever take a picture of the serial #? You really don'ty have to....jsut copy down the numbers and tell us. You may be able to remove the chip (via J1) but you may need to put a new program on it....or it may have a program for a D15B VTEC already.

Did you hook the VTEC up yet? That would give you a clue if VTEC engages.

I have not hooked up the vtec yet. Work has been crazy and I'll be out of town all weekend.

as for the serial number, are you looking just for the number on the chip itself?

276F512
70-3C-PGE
0824022-C

is this what I want to cut?

38321440012_large.jpg

I dont know if you should cut anything right now. The bar code with the numbers on the outside of your ECU....thats what I am looking for. Its a sticker. Well....it does say PR4 in the left middle of your picture but I'm not knowledgeable about ECU's. You have some type of map on that chip and it may be the correct one.

Edit: Forgot you said the sticker was gone!!!!

Last edited:
Yes, that's J1 that you cut to disable the chip.

Take the chip out, send it to Xenocron and have them put a stock P08 base on it for you, its a mystery ECU, so it wont have the right maps for your motor if you just cut the jumper. If you get the right base map for the motor everything will be how it should and there should be no reason you shouldnt pass emissions.

^^I agree...this is a good option. I am betting that it already has a base map for the D15B but having someone who knows how to check/change is a good idea.

Back