what to do what to do

what should i do build a head or get a new block

• get a b20 block?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • get a b18c blo

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civiclxb16

ok here is the deal i am planning for this winter and i don't know what to do i was thinking about building my head on my b16 but i didn't know would would be more worth the money for this winter. i was looking at some b20 blocks and they are around 700 bucks. i was wondering if i get the b20 block can i leave it stock and run it like that with the vtec head? can i turbo the b20 block ? should i get the b18c block? rebuild the block (pistons rings and so on) so i can boost it? or leave my newly build block alone and build the head on my b16 and just boost that? let me know what you think

o yeah and if i was to build my b16 head what is the best option for spending say 300-500 bucks? i was thinking ctr valve springs and ctr cams can i use my stock valves or do i need to use ctr valve springs?

If you just finished building up your B16 block, refresh your head (if you need it) and turbo that. For the amount of money that you would spend on another swap, you could have a pretty nice bit of power from a boosted B16.

I agree, boost the b16.

and yes, to run the ctr cams you must change the valve springs because the B16 vs is a single spring and the exhaust vs is especially weak. You will most likely float a valve if you do not change them. since the intake valve spring is stronger than the exhaust valve spring, you can really just change out the intake valve to a itr or ctr and then put the b16 intake valve spring where the weak exhaust valve spring was.

Edit: or just get another set of b16 intake springs, but then I'd worry about the stock intake springs.

For the money, id say rebuild your b16. Probably about 500-700 worth of work to get it to boost point, but the b20 is a 700 dollar investment on its own.

Well, he implied that the block was just rebuilt, so there's no reason to build it again. The stock internals will hold a decent amount of boost- more than enough to put a huge smile on a budget tuner's face.

Originally posted by Calesta@Jul 12 2005, 08:46 PM
Well, he implied that the block was just rebuilt, so there's no reason to build it again. The stock internals will hold a decent amount of boost- more than enough to put a huge smile on a budget tuner's face.
[post=525048]Quoted post[/post]​

that is what i wanted to hear man thanks a lot so tell me this where can i find me a set of those springs and and cams from? i am ready to start smiling!

springs are 150-250 on ebay, and then the cams are about 350 on ebay.

modacar.com also sells toda cams and springs if you wanna go that route, but they are a lil more expensive.

man i looked all over ebay i can't seem to find them but i will keep looking i guess i am putting the wrong key words in there

I was looking at the wrong thing on ebay. there is only one ctr cam set, and it is 550.

www.importbuilders.com jeff sells stuff at a good price. whole valvetrain for like 500 shipped. and his cams make good power too. if you want to go that route. actually....nvm, i thought crower may have had a turbo cam onsale. btw, IB's cam isn't for turbo.

i was looking at the website and i was wondering about do i need to change my valves as well or can i just change the valve springs and do i need new retainers? ( i can build you a block but i have no idea how to build a head please don't flame me)

you get a set of 16 ITR outer springs and a set of portflow inner springs (16) to make up your dual valve spring setup to handle higher lift cams. From the site it looks to be around 220 bucks

And oh yeah, portflow is an awesome company. Did headwork, bronze valve guides, springs and Ti retainers for me. Came out excellent!

Originally posted by civiclxb16@Jul 13 2005, 09:38 PM
has anyone heard of these guys?
http://www.portflow.com/frame.htm

:lmao:

The question is - Have you heard of them?

Portflow = :thumbsup:

Ib = :thumbsup:

Endyn = :thumbsup:

And all the big name company's are good too.... crane, zex, crower.... eibach makes an incredible valvespring and I am starting to lean towards the entire buddyclub valvetrain myself, but the price is a little rough....

Clicky

I have heard some incredible things about these cams... like gaining 15 wheel hp over a competitor throughout the entire rpm range.... :eek:

Oh yeah, and the new skunk 2 stage 2 pros are supposed to be the other REALLY hot cam out on the market right now... making gobs of power over everyone else.

Edit:

#1 - I forgot you were going turbo so some of that doesn't aply to you, but hopefully someone else that is all motor will read this and learn something. :p

#2 - I actually want to withdraw my previous statement about zex/comp valvesprings being good. Their cams rock and so does the nitrous, but stay away from their valvesprings. They use a single spring on the exhaust side and the material they use is sub par with everyone elses.....

If you have a B16 head and can get a B20 mtor for 700, i would do a B20VTEC turbo ANY day! B/c i had just a stock B20 in my eg hatch on 8 lbs of boost and ran like a bat-outta-hell!! No vtec or anything. I could only imagine VTEC added into the mix. And with a turbo, you don't have to particularly worry about gettin cams, IMO, unless you are planning massive amounts of boost. But it's your money....

Back