what to do with a non-working '85 CRX?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ripleyroo

My 84 year old father has had his 1985 2-door hatchback CRX outside on blocks for a long time (10-15 years?). He remembers that the car needed a new clutch and new tires when he put it on blocks. He would occasionally start the car over the years but hasn't done so in at least 5 years...therefore I'm not sure if the car can still run. Bottom line: it would need work to get it going. Are there CRX enthusiasts that might be interested in buying it to restore it? He lives in New York, and I'm in the midwest, and I'm not sure how to advise him. Any suggestions? Many thanks.

Not sure on the rust (I'll have to ask him). What's an HF?

There are 3 lines to the crx, the hf is a light weight version no frills that gets extremely good gas mileage. The DX is the standard model, and the SI is the sport model. I don't know the specifics of each but each has a different engine.
I would say if he is able to just fix the car. CRXes are easy as hell to work on and parts are relatively cheap.
What part of NY is it in?

So....more info on the non-working '85 CRX: it is an HF, it has 115K miles, and the only rust on it is a small patch above the right back tire well. He called the rust "so minimal that a good body guy could easily repair it." Anybody want to suggest what this might be worth and how he could sell it? Can he sell it as is or does he need to find someone to get the car running? He's really hoping that someone would buy it to eventually use it (rather than parting it out or selling it for scrap). He is located in Smithtown, NY (Suffolk County on Long Island). He used the car primarily for commuting from Smithtown out to Riverhead, NY, which is about 60 miles roundtrip. He faithfully did all the scheduled maintenance on the car and even kept a log as to what he did and when he did it.
Thanks.

He can sell it as-is. Not sure about the price though; the people at Redpepperracing.com can probably help you better or some other members who're more familiar with EWs. Though, I've seen people selling theirs in similar or worse condition for around $1000.

I'd be interested and would like to see the car. I'm located on Long Island about 40 miles west of your father.

Elliot

Will be happy to give you my cell phone number privately. You pm functionality is not activated.

Elliot

Provide me with a private conduit to give you my contact info (email).

Or give me your fathers number and I'll call him at a mutually convenient time.

Elliot

Clean it up as well as humanly possible and ebay it. Some rex lover will fork over some very real money for it.

I saw the car a couple of weeks ago. Original owner car that hasn't been started in about 5 years and was last used about 10 years ago. Some rust in the usual places and needs a bit of mechanical work to get going again. Basically original and is complete, when parked had vacuum issue with engine and needed new clutch. Since sitting add suspension, bushings, tires and battery and exhaust to list to get it roadworthy again.

There are 3 lines to the crx, the hf is a light weight version no frills that gets extremely good gas mileage. The DX is the standard model, and the SI is the sport model. I don't know the specifics of each but each has a different engine.
I would say if he is able to just fix the car. CRXes are easy as hell to work on and parts are relatively cheap.
What part of NY is it in?

depending on the parts your looking for the ew's can be pricey and the body panels dont last for shit I.E. the door sills and header panel(both $100+) crack and shatter pretty often and are hard to find. best option is to part it out if its been sittin for that long. if you go that route let me know i need a few things for my 86

Back