what to do with my civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civiclxb16

ok here is the deal, i picked up an easy weekend job and i am getting a total of 4 grand. i told my wife to be that every dollar of that weekend job is going to the civic. now i am going to spend 900 on painting my civic so that leaves me with 3100 bucks left, now i don't know what to do. my goal is to get a min. of 250 hp to the wheels i don't want much. so here is what i was thinking. my boy has a b18c1 block that is resleeved and it is now a 85mm sleeved b18c and he wants 1100 for it it comes with everything but the rods and pistons so that brings me to 2000 left add the pistons and rods another 1000 bucks so that leaves me with 1000 bucks, headgasket head studs and the whole deal and that is the rest of my money. that is one option. the other is i already have a b16 in my civic should i just get a turbo set up and run like 8 psi of boost on the stock internals? the b16 block is brand new meaning new pistons rings bearings and rods the compression (so i was said) is at 10.2:1. i know everyone says don't run stock internals with boost but i don't want to rebuild my block again and remember i am on a 3100 budget. if anyone can tell me what i should do with that loot let me know!
here is the list by the way on my b16
new pistons rods rings bearings water pump tension timing belt itr cams intake mani dc exhaustso that is the list of my b16 now. let me know what i should do!

Originally posted by civiclxb16@May 28 2005, 01:05 AM
ok here is the deal, i picked up an easy weekend job and i am getting a total of 4 grand. i told my wife to be that every dollar of that weekend job is going to the civic. now i am going to spend 900 on painting my civic so that leaves me with 3100 bucks left, now i don't know what to do. my goal is to get a min. of 250 hp to the wheels i don't want much. so here is what i was thinking. my boy has a b18c1 block that is resleeved and it is now a 85mm sleeved b18c and he wants 1100 for it it comes with everything but the rods and pistons so that brings me to 2000 left add the pistons and rods another 1000 bucks so that leaves me with 1000 bucks, headgasket head studs and the whole deal and that is the rest of my money. that is one option. the other is i already have a b16 in my civic should i just get a turbo set up and run like 8 psi of boost on the stock internals? the b16 block is brand new meaning new pistons rings bearings and rods the compression (so i was said) is at 10.2:1. i know everyone says don't run stock internals with boost but i don't want to rebuild my block again and remember i am on a 3100 budget. if anyone can tell me what i should do with that loot let me know!
here is the list by the way on my b16
new pistons rods rings bearings water pump tension timing belt itr cams intake mani dc exhaustso that is the list of my b16 now. let me know what i should do!
[post=504600]Quoted post[/post]​

it is said to be known that a stock honda motor can run on 6 psi so if you are running stock internals you could probably do that it will give ya about a 50-75 hp gain but hey its still some hp!

Right now it seems like the cheapet route and the way I would go if I was in your shoes is to boost the b16. Sounds like it had a nice rebuild just piece together your turbo kit and get some good management and then tune that BEATCH. Have fun.

Originally posted by civiclxb16@May 28 2005, 01:05 AM
i know everyone says don't run stock internals with boost but i don't want to rebuild my block again and remember i am on a 3100 budget.
[post=504600]Quoted post[/post]​

I know people would prefer to have forged internals, but stock internals with a good tune should be able to get you at least 200WHP boosted. If you are looking to go the cheaper route and stay running low boost just use what you already have it should be fine, but if you are looking more in the long run where you will more than likely want more power then I say either sleeve the motor you have and slap some forged rods and pistons in it or go with your friends block.

what about getting a stock gsr block and using some pr3 or p30 pistons in the gsr block? that is really low compression

Just turbo the B16. You can add up parts prices all you want, but then you'll have to pay a machine shop to match the GSR block to whatever pistons you buy, you'll have to consider "ooops" money if/when something goes wrong- tons of things will pop up as you piece your engine together. If you have a B16 that's already been rebuilt, I would just say to turbo that. For $3100 you can have a nice responsive kit that will work well with the stock internals, and you'll have enough money left over to really spend time tuning the setup so that it lasts a long time. 250whp on a stock internal B16 as a daily driver under boost is very easy to get with proper tuning.

Originally posted by Calesta@Jun 1 2005, 10:18 PM
Just turbo the B16. You can add up parts prices all you want, but then you'll have to pay a machine shop to match the GSR block to whatever pistons you buy, you'll have to consider "ooops" money if/when something goes wrong- tons of things will pop up as you piece your engine together. If you have a B16 that's already been rebuilt, I would just say to turbo that. For $3100 you can have a nice responsive kit that will work well with the stock internals, and you'll have enough money left over to really spend time tuning the setup so that it lasts a long time. 250whp on a stock internal B16 as a daily driver under boost is very easy to get with proper tuning.
[post=506483]Quoted post[/post]​

wow thanks for the imput that is what i wanted to hear!! I am not looking to make it a daily driver just a weekend runner and once in a while take it to work just to strech the legs out some, now i got to ask you is what size turbo and what waste gate should i look for? any pointers ?? thanks in advance

Originally posted by Calesta@Jun 1 2005, 10:18 PM
[post=506483]Quoted post[/post]​

:withstupid:

:D Beat me to it.

When building a motor you guys are all forgeting -

water pump
oil pump
timing belt
bearings
oil lines (if any)
gaskets
studs
machining
balancing
etc....

It's nice to say "I have 3 grand, can I build a good motor with that?" but in reality there is alot more to it than just buying the main internals and slapping it together. Do some research and then call some machine shops and do some more.

Cal is right once again, (I'm getting sick of typing that :p )
The turbo kit is by far your best bet. Turbo B16s are nothing to sneeze at, and on the stock block, 250 shouldn't be out of reach.

All Motor = The expensive way to go slow

Originally posted by sohcslammer@Jun 2 2005, 01:51 PM
When building a motor you guys are all forgeting -

water pump
oil pump
timing belt
bearings
oil lines (if any)
gaskets
studs
machining
balancing
etc....

The turbo kit is by far your best bet. Turbo B16s are nothing to sneeze at, and on the stock block, 250 shouldn't be out of reach.
[post=506820]Quoted post[/post]​

ok well i got the water pump oil pump timing belt bearings main and rod gaskets and arp head studs machining i take it you mean get it honed got that balancing not to sure on that part, but to get back to the subject what kind of turbo should i look for t3/t4? .48 ar? what should i look for any suggestions?

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 3 2005, 09:08 AM
t3 super 60.  done
[post=507256]Quoted post[/post]​

or a GT28RS.

Turbo B16s are nothing to sneeze at

A turbo B16 is definately a force to be recogned with......you won't miss your torque dis-advantage at all with a well-tuned Turbo setup. Just as fast as Turbo LS/VTEC's or boosted GSR's. No diff.

Enjoy.

And when you do go turbo, talk to louis @ cts turbo.com, he'll hook you up with the shit you need to go turbo.

thank for all the help guys i will keep you updated on what i end up with!

a b16 on stock internals is good for 250-270 whp with a turbo. now that could be runnin 15 psi on a t25 or runnin 10psi on a t3 super 60. u might want to look into the Drag gen 3 turbo kit for the b16. on 7 psi u should get around 220 or more and then tune it to run a lil more psi and u should reach 250 easy.

so what kit should i look at or what turbo as for company or links what suggestions do you have? remember i would like to keep my ac

Back