1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do with my EK

Discussion in 'Civic and del Sol - EG and EK' started by jc7391, Aug 12, 2009.

1. jc7391

jc7391 New Member

Ok, so I've had my 1999 Civic Ex for like a year now and my buddies keep telling me to get and exhaust and intake in it. But i don't really wanna be one of those kids going 35 with the exhaust loud as hell and no power to back it up. So i was wondering what should i do to my car. Im sittin on about $2000 right now and plan on gettin more soon cuz im about to start a job. So should I keep my D16Y8 and get headers, exhaust, and intake or should I swap to a B-series engine. And if i do what would be the best swap to put in. Keep in mind I do not plan on putting a Turbo in either models.

2. 95b16coupe

95b16coupe New Member

leave it stock for now. i/h/e on an sohc is a waste of money.

either save up for a new car or get a turbo. for now, i would focus on getting good brakes, suspension, and wheels/tires.

3. jc7391

jc7391 New Member

yeah i was looking at a 350z because if i sold my car + the money i have I'd have enough to finance one but the insurace for me would be outrageous. But you think I should stay away from a engine swap?

4. 95b16coupe

95b16coupe New Member

i wouldn't swap it. best value for your money is a turbo.

i wouldn't get a 350z at 18, that is a recipe for financial hardship unless your parents are paying for it. and a high powered rwd is a straight path to wrapping it around a pole.

5. jc7391

jc7391 New Member

yeahhh but i like em haha. and as i stated earlier I don't plan on turbo.

6. 95b16coupe

95b16coupe New Member

well, just don't waste money on i/h/e, you might gain 10 hp at best.

7. alEXej8

alEXej8 New Member

B-series swap it, best upgrade i ever did. I also have a 99 EX (it was an auto) i converted it to a manual and swapped in a GSR motor. I love it! No matter what people say a civic with a B-series swap is far more reliable than turboing your stock motor.

8. BrutalB83

BrutalB83 Brutal Moderator Moderator VIP

As stated by others, turbo would be the best bang for your buck. You'll make more power with a turbo then with any B-series swap. If you're unwilling to turbo though, then yeah, go B-series. That would be a much better upgrade then doing bolt-ons on your D16...

9. 99sidude

99sidude Moderator Moderator VIP

werd. can't go wrong with a b series swap. My gsr hatch is the most reliable car I have ever owned. It was boosted for some time as well.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted