What to do with my EK

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jc7391

Ok, so I've had my 1999 Civic Ex for like a year now and my buddies keep telling me to get and exhaust and intake in it. But i don't really wanna be one of those kids going 35 with the exhaust loud as hell and no power to back it up. So i was wondering what should i do to my car. Im sittin on about $2000 right now and plan on gettin more soon cuz im about to start a job. So should I keep my D16Y8 and get headers, exhaust, and intake or should I swap to a B-series engine. And if i do what would be the best swap to put in. Keep in mind I do not plan on putting a Turbo in either models.

leave it stock for now. i/h/e on an sohc is a waste of money.

either save up for a new car or get a turbo. for now, i would focus on getting good brakes, suspension, and wheels/tires.

yeah i was looking at a 350z because if i sold my car + the money i have I'd have enough to finance one but the insurace for me would be outrageous. But you think I should stay away from a engine swap?

i wouldn't swap it. best value for your money is a turbo.

i wouldn't get a 350z at 18, that is a recipe for financial hardship unless your parents are paying for it. and a high powered rwd is a straight path to wrapping it around a pole.

B-series swap it, best upgrade i ever did. I also have a 99 EX (it was an auto) i converted it to a manual and swapped in a GSR motor. I love it! No matter what people say a civic with a B-series swap is far more reliable than turboing your stock motor.

As stated by others, turbo would be the best bang for your buck. You'll make more power with a turbo then with any B-series swap. If you're unwilling to turbo though, then yeah, go B-series. That would be a much better upgrade then doing bolt-ons on your D16...

werd. can't go wrong with a b series swap. My gsr hatch is the most reliable car I have ever owned. It was boosted for some time as well.

Back