What to get...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

98ITR

Got a Integra Type-R, with AEM CAI and Clutch Masters Stage 3 Clutch...
Now i got 750$ sittin here that im gonna blow on my engine... What to get?
I was thinking Hondata ECU... or maby a suspension package (not engine, i know)... but i really wanna get an all motor type-r running mid 12's... what should i get? Headers? Exhaust (i can get a Tanabe Racing Medallion Cat-Back for 400$)? what do you all think would be a good item to get next to start the build up on my engine???

Also, i have thought about this alot... Tuning down the compression of my b18c5 and then turbo'n it? good idea? bad idea? i saw a 650 hp gsr motor that really got my attention... i thought of tunning it down and doing that... but i dont know... your advice would be a big help...

Thanks,
Nick

If you can get that cat-back go ahead and get that and maybe you can grab a bigger throttle body or a set of cams (not sure how much that would run you). Personally, I'm not worried about goin fast in a straight line so I spent my money my suspension so if it was me I'd probably save up for a coilover or spend that on a spring and shock combo. Still waiting to get my tokicos and eibachs on. Mid 12's kind of sounds like a stretch to me cuz ur going to need A LOT of work and do a lot of weight reduction. Nice goal jus be prepared to spend.

As far as the turbo goes, before I got my car my first choice was a 6th gen hatch w/ a b18c5/spec r and build it up all motor. So thats pretty much would I would do if it were me. Goin turbo w/ the b18c5 isnt bad but your just wasting a lot of what you paid for over the GSR. If you wanna do this right, it also gets expensive cuz the camshafts arent going to work too well w/ your turbo. The overlap of the intake and exhaust is too big and too much air just passes thru so your goin to have to change the whole valve that you paid more for. I'm pretty sure there are some other reasons but I cant remember.

If I missed anything, just fill it and correct me if I'm wrong.

i was going to get that exhaust and throw it on... but im afraid of having stock headers and a exhaust... im afraid ill get an irritating sound... should i get headers then? headers and something else really small... Are comptech any good? i need some help on headers... like which are the best... what are the cheapest... like what overall is better...

thanks,
a confused man

oh... and cams will cost me anywhere from $470 (ZEX) to $1175 (Spoon)...

Skunk 2 cams are around $720...

i presonally am running the zex stage 2's in my b16a and they are sick ass cams. their profiles are slightly more aggressive than the skunk2 stage 2's. they are manufactured by comp cams, who have been making cams for over 40 years... i would highly reccomend them. i would also reccomend some kind of engine management as these cams make power until about 9000 rpm. with the extra money you saved by purchasing these cams, i would also get a set of JDM pistons to bump your compression. my $.02

Originally posted by 98ITR@Dec 31 2003, 03:53 AM
Headers?

:slap:

Get skunk2 cams and then try drivin on the street. ;)

Well... I know that i am going to come off like an asshole, but oh well.

When you bought your itr, what were you thinking? It is a street legal track car, not a drag racer. It was designed with the idea of racing on road courses. If you boosted your car you would be ruining a perfectly good thing. The c5 motor is designed to make power naturally aspirated. in other words all motor.

If i were you i would get a good exhaust like a spoon n1 axle-back. the stock b-pipe is plenty big enough to start out with. Get a decent header, and some nice springs & shocks. Then go to an autocross event. You will start to get the picture of what a type r is all about

Back